“A very good hotel in the heart of the city”

Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was here on a business trip and we stayed at this hotel because the one at Kovalam was fully booked. Must say the hotel exceeded my expectations in terms of decor, service and overall experience. It is unfair to compare this hotel with its cousin in Kovalam because that is more of a resort experience and this one is like a normal hotel but is best for those who want to be closer to the city. But some of the staff is same, and service levels are generally good. Above all is the warmth of the staff - the legendary Taj touch. A special mention for Veronica at the front desk who spoilt me with roses and cake as it was my birthday.

The coffee shop, the fifth element is very good and the food is good. Service could be faster. The newly opened Chinese restaurant, Chinapolis was disappointing because of the interminable wait for the food and the clueless staff. Go there only if you have ample time on hand!

Rooms are tastefully done up, though bathrooms seem a little tired and old. Try for a pool facing room on the 6th floor!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank rashig

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I went to Kerala for two weeks. We spent the last three nights of our holiday in Vivanta by Taj and we loved every moment! Unlike the rest of our trip (where we stayed in three star hotels), we spent most of our time relaxing in the hotel - apart from a few hours each day when we booked a taxi to take us out shopping for clothes and souvenirs. The hotel was very luxurious. The staff were friendly and made us feel special. Our room was spacious and nicely furnished/decorated. We had a huge firm bed with plenty of pillows - a very comfy sleep! The bathroom was spotless and came with bathrobes and slippers. My most favourite thing about the room was the large shower cubical with steamy hot water and power shower - the thing I most missed about home! We ate at the main restaurant and opted for the buffet most nights. There was a large variety of Western and Indian cuisine. The food tasted fresh and was so delicious. The food and drink prices were expensive compared to what we paid on the rest of our trip... but this was to be expected and we thought of it as a treat. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PriyaLovesHolidays
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Situated right at the heart of the city, the hotel is close to the railway station, bus station and airports. A beautifully laid out premises with cozy interiors and wonderfulmrestaurants. the chinesecusine is the latest addition. Fit place for business, family and exclusive dinners.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank sbchand
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Lovely clean and modern hotel. Staff very well trained and attentive. Free swimming lessons for children were running thought out my stay, fantastic for the kids. Menus in the bar and restaurant areas are a mix of Western and Indian cuisine, free bar snacks provided every evening if required (mix of spicy crisps and dip). Vast cocktail menu. On site cafe with and ice creamery and freshly prepared cakes. Would have no problems staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank NicS001
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is probably the best option that you have in town and the daily tariffs come at a good price point. The rooms are quite spacious and are typical of a Taj setup. The breakfast buffet at the hotel is exquisite and will keep you going till lunch.

Though the rooms may need some modern amenities but the rooms are clean and well maintained. But then again, most of the Taj properties that I have stayed in have a vintage look to it's rooms. This is what sets them apart.

The staff goes above and beyond to make you feel that you are at a home away from home. They are very accommodating and help in any way they can.

The hotel provides chauffeur driven cars at prices that you would pay at any metro city in India.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Amit B
Reviewed January 19, 2013

One of the more recent properties in Trivandrum, it presents by far the best alternative for business travel stays for the short period. The conference facility which they offer is also the best in Trivandrum. The tall ceilings and the regular 'Taj' feel is reinforced here. The service of the crew is a notch is above the usual standards and there is a helping smile at every corner. The restaurants have an excellent buffet with one of the more varied breakfast spreads I have seen in a while in South India. All variations and requests are attended to with a courteous smile. The rooms seem to have some hitches with erratic electricity , frequent power offs, slight delay in restoration of power. The channels are also limited though that has never figured on top of my priority list.Perhaps these are teething issues – I give them the benefit of doubt…
In case you are any particular taste differences, feel empowered to call in the chef and instruct the same. Even better is, tell him what you want and let him figure the best option. I had taken my Japanese clients here and they were served the best food they have had in India. The service more than the infrastructure compels one to return again and again !

Room Tip: Ask for rooms opposite to the pool. Feel free to explain your taste preferences and let them serve y...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank RajeshNair007
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I'm sort of struggling with this review, because the good is so good here. By that I mean, the people who work here, and by that I mean in particular two people: Veronica, and a guy whose name I am (of course forgetting) but it began with a B and he was a manager of sorts. Shout-out! The nicest, most professional people - totally made me feel like a rock star and seemed genuinely concerned and tried their damnedest to make things right.
So, to get on with it: this hotel is trying hard to be a 4 or 5 star in terms of show and price level, but really it's a 3 star. There were a number of things that made the difference, all of which are sort of small, but if it's going to be nearly double in price the other business hotels in Trivandrum center, then these are things that should be taking care of. In order from smallest to largest:
1. no coffee in the room. Lots of tea (I know, this is India; as I said: small), but then I asked for coffee FOUR times over several hours before any was brought up;
2. No Pay-per-view, a DVD player, but no movies available, and out of 60 channels, at least half are inaccessible and only 4 are "non-Indian." For a international business hotel, this is strange and definitely unusual.
3. TV didn't work. Asked to have it fixed, the usual guy comes up, looks at it, turns it off and on, etc. Two hours later: still doesn't work, more people come to look at it, disassemble it. finally, I ask for a change of rooms. That takes another hour.
4. I booked this room with an extra bed, asked for it again when I saw it wasn't there, asked again at 5 pm, and 7 pm, at 9 pm, finally went to sleep - my son on the floor (wood). I mentioned something at the front desk and got a croissant comped, which seemed lame - why not the wi-fi ($15?).
I do feel bad, because there are several people here who are working their butts off to get everything in order, and it does look nice, and has a great pool and work-out room, but these are pretty big gaffs for a hotel in that price range (very expensive for India). If they get those sorts of dumb oversights in order, it'll be quite nice, but I won't be coming back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank shwade88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Hilton Garden Inn Trivandrum
Hilton Garden Inn Trivandrum
#2 of 99 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Hycinth By Sparsa
Hycinth By Sparsa
#1 of 99 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Vivanta by Taj - Green Cove
The Leela Kovalam Beach
Uday Suites
Uday Suites
#3 of 99 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Hotel Lake Palace
Hotel Lake Palace
#9 of 99 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum? Share your experiences!