“Taj - home away from home”

Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Staying at the right property is so important for the perfect holiday experience, especially when you are traveling as a family with young children.

My family and I try and stay with the Taj wherever we travel, if there is one in town. Having stayed at several Taj properties and experienced remarkably consistent high standards of hospitality, the 'Taj experience' has become the benchmark for my family to rate any other hotel.

The Vivanta at Trivandrum comes up aces in the 'Taj Experience' department. Immaculate and spotlessly maintained, with efficient, helpful and cheerful staff, great rooms, wonderful food, a lovely pool and center-of-town location, it is difficult to beat the Vivanta in terms of hospitality at Trivandrum.

Just about everyone from the doorman and security to room service will rise to the occasion graciously, to make sure your every wish is catered to. The people who come to clean your room stop to make pleasant conversation with you in the corridor. When your the children are playing by pool, there is always someone from the staff to watch over them. You don't need to call different numbers for room service and housekeeping and travel helpdesk - just dial '0' for your 'virtual butler' - they will organise everything from there if you wish. And what is truly remarkable - and priceless - is the genuine 'human'-ness that all the staff display - right from spontaneously playing with the kids, to offering helpful advice, to just making conversation or stopping to let you pass, or opening a door for you and the family, or helping to seat a child at the restaurant table - one can just go on and on about the Taj.

An added benefit is that nearly everyone in town knows the 'Taj Hotel' as it is called. Located just couple of kilometres away from the city raily station and 'MG Road', it is virtually impossible to get lost in the city, if you're staying at the Vivanta. Just ask any resident and they'll helpfully point the way to get back to the hotel.

Suffice to say, that the Taj anywhere is absolutely THE BEST place to stay that I've experienced for a family on vacation. If you can afford it, don't settle for anything less.

Room Tip: Take a pool-facing room ... though I think all rooms are pool facing, but good to check on this.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kaustav C

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I so enjoyed our stay at this property, we sent his mother and sister to stay a few months later! Everything, from the check-in, to the rooms, to the follow up services was superb. We thouroughly felt pampered from the moment we arrived at this location to the time they saw us off to the airport.
The hotel was not very full, so they were able to upgrade us to a suite - it was almost too much space for just my husband and myself! The rooms were well appointed and the decor was very pleasing. Plenty of bottled water in the room; comfortable bed with pillow menu, spacious bathroom with nicely scented products - even spare toothbrushes!
We had a late lunch in the restaurant which was good portions and yummy and we also had the breakfast buffet which was really good - a great variety of western and eastern dishes as well as plenty of fresh, tropical fruits and juices. Very reasonable prices for the menus and service. The only area that I felt slightly uncomfortable was the bar/lounge - I was the only female in there! There were a couple of groups of men/college types that were giving my husband and myself covert (and some not so covert!) looks trying to figure out what we were up to! Not a very comfortable or loungy atmosphere.
Overall, our stay was very pleasant and the hotel far surpassed our expectations; we had a totally disastrous stay at the Leela Kovalam Beach on our way in to Kerala so we wanted to try something different on our way out of Kerala and we were extremely satisfied with our choice!

P.S. I mentioned that my husband's mother and his sister recently stayed - everything was wonderful except the arranged pick-up from the airport. Our family's 3am Emirates flight was delayed by 40 minutes so the hotel driver went back to the car to take a nap and fell fast asleep!! Our family, expecting a driver holding a sign, searched and wandered about for about 45 minutes after exiting customs and the airport until they located him napping comfortably in the hotel car!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The rooms are fine, and so is the service. The toiletries provided in the bathroom are good, although the actual facilities (sinks and showers) looked a bit worn. But the entire atmosphere is of a businessman's hotel anywhere in the world, and it would rank as a four-star property under most circumstances, neither good nor bad, just indifferent. The corridors leading to the rooms are not air-conditioned, so the temperature is stifling. It operates two fairly good restaurants, however.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be identical
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I booked this fancy hotel for my last night's stay in India as a treat. By India standards it is very expensive (close to £100 with tax) and I expected 5-star standards. The room itself was excellent, with a lovely large bed, nice linen bed sheets and comfortable pillows, and modern and clean. There were welcome chocolates and the welcome fruit came a half hour after we were in our room already and there were free bottles of water, all of which were welcome.
The manager who showed us the room said he would send up complimentary coffee which never came. And at this price they do not include free wifi which I found very distasteful, having various pricing schemes, coupled with the in house food /menu prices I found they were simply trying to rip you off for more money. The bathroom was mostly clean, though having dropped something and looking under the sink showed a not so thorough cleaning job.
Also, staying at this hotel automatically increased tuk tuk prices, and they only allow taxi's in front of the hotel, so arriving to the hotel in a tuk tuk you have to be left off outside the main area which felt odd and like we were second class visitors for not taking a taxi! If you want a fancy hotel then this is it, but I found it cold and too formal and like they were simply trying to fleece you for money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here on business, after moving from a beach hotel that was way too basic. The hotel is generally very clean, staff efficient and is what you would expect from a business hotel. The room was spacious and clean and the bathroom large, even if the shower wasn't always very hot and the TV difficult to operate.

The main restaurant does a very nice breakfast, but staff can be slow to serve coffee etc. In the evenings the buffet style food was good, but even though it varied that wasn't by much each night. The Chinese restaurant was very good if a little expensive. The bar lacked much atmosphere and the TV was broken (missing two colours) and was never fixed. Additionally when working UK hours all the public areas closed very early i.e. 11pm sharp.

The pool area was very nice and relaxing but it was hard to get the staff to serve drinks here.

Like all hotels there was a lot of security, but more for show than to make you feel really safe.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is an average hotel, we stay in hotels every week for work so we know our hotels. Staff we good but we always had to remind them a few times if we had a request for them to do. They only want you get a hotel car and will not order you a taxi, which I find disgraceful. When are friend ordered a rickshaw to takes us to her school the hotel won't let him enter the gates of the hotel, he had to wait outside and call us to come out. I find this unacceptable and will tell my friends and family never to stay at this hotel, I will also let our companies know never to hold a meeting at this chain again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CatherineLeg
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the Taj for 2 nights to visit Kanyakumari. The service levels were superb, as you would expect from a Taj property. But some of the staff really stood out - Princie - the Front Desk Manager - who went out of her way to help my mother after she suffered an injury (not at the hotel), Mani - Restaurant Manager at the Breakfast Restaurant and Veronica who made it a very pleasant Check-In and Check-Out experience for us.

The only problem we had was there was a crying baby in the next room, and I am not sure if the walls are built thin, we were very disturbed, especially at night.

Room Tip: The city side rooms really don't have a good view - it might be better to have a pool side view...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ToffeeTour
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Hilton Garden Inn Trivandrum
Hilton Garden Inn Trivandrum
#2 of 104 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Hycinth By Sparsa
Hycinth By Sparsa
#1 of 104 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Taj Green Cove Resort & Spa Kovalam
Uday Suites
Uday Suites
#3 of 104 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
The Leela Kovalam Beach
Hotel Lake Palace
Hotel Lake Palace
#10 of 104 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum? Share your experiences!