“Great location, spectacular views, slightly overpriced”
Review of Hotel Rockholm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Hotel Rockholm
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Great location, spectacular views, slightly overpriced”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at the Rockholm in January 2009 (not 2012) for two weeks. When we arrived the room we were initially given was at the back of the hotel and was a bit disappointing, small with no view, however it was clean & the bathroom was in good condition. The sea was quite rough however, and people who had rooms with sea views asked to be moved because of the noise! We swapped happily and chose what we considered the best room in the building, right in the centre with a small balcony, it was a large room with lots of space, but it was very dusty and had not had a thorough clean for some time. The bathroom was also in need of renovation.

We chose the location for the sun, sea and amazing sunsets, so decided to put up with the poor state of the room in favour of its size and amazing view. In our opinion it was the best room in the hotel, and it was a pity it hadn't been kept spotless.

It took us a day or two to get used to the sound of the pounding of the sea on the rocks almost directly below the window at night, but we loved the sound, and after a few nights it soothed us to sleep.

We looked at some of the other rooms before we left in the air conditioned block as we were considering coming back and getting married in India, but they didn't seem anything special, and personally we prefer not having air conditioning even when it is very hot, as it helps us get used to the ambient temperature and therefore more able to cope with the heat during the day.

In terms of location, the hotel is beside the lighthouse at the end of 'Lighthouse Beach' and has a beach to the left of the hotel which is lots quieter than lighthouse beach. Although the beach is not private, it does not attract as many tourists or sellers, and is surrounded by a hill populated by goats rather than a boardwalk.

All the restaurants and shops are on the other side of the lighthouse, surrounding the lighthouse beach and beyond, an extremely short walk for which you will not need the services of the many tuc tuc's and taxis queuing at the end of the road

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones with a sea view, though if you have trouble sleeping the sea can be very...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here for two nights (24th and 25th Feb, 2012) along with my wife and kid. I booked an AC room in the new building for INR 3500 plus taxes and I really regretted it. The entire place needed renovation and upliftment. The look and feel was that of the cheap sea-side hotel in Digha. Even the air-conditioner in the room was from some bygone era and had no control. It blasted cold air and made a terrible din inside the room. The room however was right in front of a rocky cove. The sea could be seen and heard from the room.
This place shared a small beach along with another hotel nearby. However to get to the main beach of the Kovalam, you have to walk 5-10 minutes. I would rather have preferred to stay on the main Kovalam beach.
The restaurant at this hotel was wonderfully located by the sea, but the food it served was unpalatable. We would rather fast than eat at this place. Also note, that the restaurant does not serve beer !!! A restaurant by the seaside in Kovalam which does not serve beer !! Truly unique.
The gentleman who runs this place (probably the manager) is a very nice elderly person. His lively face and good heart keeps the place running. This hotel does clean business. It provided me with proper bills and money receipts.
Would not recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sku26
Milano
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Rockholm is a seaside bungalow converted into a hotel, with a classic old home feel to it.

Sitting on a rock, the hotel offer spectacular views of the Arabian sea.

With both air-conditioned and non air-conditioned rooms, the hotel has some of the biggest rooms in Kovalam.

The highlights of the hotel (which also happens to the oldest in Kovalam) are the beautiful beach right beside it & the gentle old man who manages the place. Freddie makes just about everyone feel at home with his genuine compassion & hearty laughter.

The cleanliness is not up to the mark of star hotels in the area, but the staff responds quickly to requests. The quality of service is very good and almost all rooms have a view of the sea. The food is very good & the staff are friendly. There is an ayurveda center very close to the hotel & one can make appointments for consultations/treatments at the hotel reception.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank ARajMilano
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Firstly the less liked:
1. The room was "sort of" clean and the cleaner should be checked occasionally to vet the level of service.
2. Maintenance is not too good... but remember, you are in India!!
3. Alcohol is not available. This does not imply that we wanted to get legless, but rather to have a sundowner on the great seaside patio deck.
4. The garden area that accesses the beach was unkept and the rubbish left by an Indian group that was partying there on our first night was left lying around for the days we were there. We guess that cleaning up must be left to someone else! Very much like the rest of India.

Now the great items:
1. The location is FANTASTIC! This hotel must be the closest to the sea in the whole area.
2. The patio deck is as close to the sea that you could be without getting wet!
3. The hotel is located just south of the lighthouse and is therefore much more peaceful than the "blingy" main Lighthouse Beach.
4. The food was very good.
5. This hotel has direct access to the secluded beach along with one other... this keeps the crowds away.
6. The lighthouse is only about 100 meters away. A great viewing point during the public opening time between 3 & 5 every day.
7. A fabulous waterside restuarant The Sea Pearl Cafe in The Mini House Guest House can only be 50 metres away. Each of the properties are in clear view from each other. You can get beer and spirits here to enjoy with your meal as the seas crach on the rocks below.

OVERALL: Do not let the "negative"items put you off from a good hotel in a great setting. We would go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 21 which is in the annex that faces the "private" beach and has a great...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adventurers049
Copenhagen
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Great place. Good food. Good value. The perfect location, since the hotel is situated on the cliffs above a beautiful beach with only two hotels - away from the board walk and the long stretch of restaurants. It's basic, but highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room no. 1 does not have a balcony. Next time I will ask, when I book.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LSCopenhagen
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Rockholm
The Rockholm Hotel was by far the best hotel experience I had during my five weeks in Kerala! My stay started the night before new years eve 2012. As a girl traveling alone I was concerned whether my taxi driver would really be waiting for me at the airport at 4:30am, yet there he was, Kumar, holding up a sign with my name on it. He brought me safely to the hotel after we stopped for a brief chai in the calm of the morning.Allen and Freddy at the front desk always went out of their way to ensure I was completely comfortable. Both room service and the restaurant were always consistent. I highly recommend the fish tikka and a pot of cardamom tea, yum! My favorite two things about the Rockholm were that I actually slept through the night with out any of the typical Indian street sounds, all you here are the crashing Arabian Sea waves. It is very quite and peaceful. The second best thing was the sweet little beach in a secluded cove only steps down from the hotel. I stayed in two different rooms number 15 and the honeymoon suit which I call the queens suit since I was alone. Both of my rooms were spotless and the showers always had hot water. People need to remember that there is a switch on the outside of your door to turn on the electric to the room, it conserves electricity, also short power outages are typical in India. Towards the end of my trip I was eager to get back to the Rockholm and catch up on all the sleep I lost in noisy varkala. Freddy and Allen remembered me and without a reservation ensured me that they had room for my last four days, this ended up being the best time spent on my trip! Thank you Allen for all the good conversations and coconuts, I can't wait to see you all again!
Theresa
Mantramassagestudio.com

Room Tip: In the winter there's no need for AC, the ocean breeze will do just fine.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Theresa B
South West
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This hotel is actually in Kovalam and not in Trivandrum. It is conveniently located up a hill just a few minutes from the main lighthouse beach and itself has a stunning location next to crashing waves. Unfortunately that is where my positive comments finish.
We travelled with friends and as we were unsure of what the accommodation was going to be like we initially booked one night. We had every intention of extending our stay if the hotel was satisfactory. Unfortunately it wasn't. I had booked an a/c room. On arrival we were told there was not one for us but with the windows open and the fan on it would be cool......Wrong. No apology was forthcoming for the lack of a/c room. It was humid, unbearably warm and, as a result of windows open, visited by mosquitos. We did not sleep at all.
On arriving in our room the electricity was not working and there was no water in the shower of our friends room. The electricity was fixed 45 mins or so later, but meant we could not operate the fan in the meantime.
The room was basic, clean enough. The bathroom was dark and depressing.
I know this is a budget hotel but the next day we went down the beach to the Jeevan Resort and got a much better air conditioned room for just 800 rupees more (about £10).
With decent service and upgrading to rooms this place could be so much more. We would have been willing to extend to 5 nights but didn't. It is a wonderful location and I don't think the owners realise what potential they have on their hands.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying get a room in the main hotel and not in the property across the courtyard
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Verity44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
The Leela Kovalam Beach
Soma Palmshore Beach Resort
Hotel Samudra KTDC
Hotel Samudra KTDC
#4 of 52 in Kovalam
Hotel Prathiba Heritage
Hotel Prathiba Heritage
#26 of 94 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum
Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum
#4 of 94 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Hycinth By Sparsa
Hycinth By Sparsa
#1 of 94 in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)

Been to Hotel Rockholm? Share your experiences!