Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat
Spice Village(Thekkady)
$117
$112
Priceline
All reviewsayurvedic hospitalgreat teachervegetarian foodmind openingdaily liveslife changing experiencelocal hospitalspent three nightsan excellent hostayurvedic treatmentsan ideal placespice farmsurrounded by naturehomely stayamazing experiencehis wifeagi
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We stayed 3 nights at Mundax and found it so peaceful and relaxing. The rooms were very clean, spacious and comfortable. Benni cooked delishious fresh food in a modern and spotless kitchen. We have never seen our 11 year old son eat so much! We really enjoyed meals at the dining table chatting to Mathew and other guests. Mathew has converted my husband to yoga with yoga lessons each morning an extra treat. The whole family enjoyed an Ayurvedic massage at the local Ayurvedic hospital which was absolutely wonderful. Mathew organised a tour of the herbal medicine factory on the hospital grounds before having our massage. He had also organised a lovely and very safe driver Joy to pick us up from Varkala. Joy also drove us to Thekkady just over an hour away where we spent a day hiking and visiting the elephant center - again all organised by Mathew. Mathew will go out of his way to make sure you enjoy your stay by organising trips and walks but otherwise left us to chill out and do our own thing. To help you understand the special host Mathew is I will tell you what he did for us. After we left Mundax I realised I had lost the long lense for my camera. We called Mathew knowing he would know who to contact as I thought I had left it at the National park. Mathew actually drove to Thekkady and retreived the lense. It was not at the National park but at the restaurant we had lunch, but he managed to track it down. Benni then brought it to us in Fort Cochin. We found this truly generous and kind and were so appreciative. We would definitely recomend Mudax for some time out from busy India or a base while having Ayurvedic treatment at the local Ayurvedic hospital.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank OscarBH
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Mundax Homestay is not a hotel nor a place to stay. It is an experience in learning to quiet the mind and learn mindfulness again. I will return again to regenerate myself but with more time. Mathew himself creats the living space to retreat and rest. The food is excellent as is his company. The rooms are spacious and exceedingly clean.  As for recommending Mundax to others I have already e mailed all of my family and friends that this is a must place to visit. Mathew, thank you very much. You can't inmagine how much I needed the short but welcome rest.  I5150U @aol.com

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Highly recommended! In the midst of our backpacking journey, my boyfriend and I splurged to stay at Mundax for a few days over the Christmas holiday. We loved this place. Matthew is an impeccable and endlessly gracious host — not to mention a good yoga teacher and great company. He's full of information, so just ask for whatever you need; he'll make it easy for you. Benny, the cook, is a real star; the food is simply wonderful, so come hungry!

Things to do (which Matthew can set up for you, or he'll simply take you!):
- ayurvedic treatments (massages, detox therapy, etc.)
- wander through the village
- take a scenic walk through the tea plantations surrounding Mundax
- go for a scenic drive through the tea-covered hills
- head to Kumily for the day
- go for a trek in the Periyar jungle
- drink tea and chat with Matthew for hours on end
- sit back, relax, read (great library at Mundax!) and eat delicious, healthy Keralan food to your heart's content!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We stayed two nights at Mundax and thoroughly enjoyed Mathew's hospitality, guidance and companionship. Mathew built the house a few years ago after returning home from 15 years in New Zealand, and the property is slowly becoming a true retreat, surrounded by a beautiful garden of spices and flowers (which will surely only become more lush over time). Staying here is very different from other homestays because Mathew genuinely shares his home with you - he joins you for breakfast and dinner, when very interesting conversations can be had. The yoga lessons he offers are a big bonus, and yes, we also had a Ayurvedic massage session at the hospital nearby which was absolutely wonderful. And after the heat of Kochi and the backwaters, the coolness of the mountain air here is very refreshing.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2009

me & my mam stopped over for a night. It was a very peaceful & relaxing spot away from the hussle & bussle . Mathew & the staff were very friendly giving it a nice homely feel about it .

• Stayed: December 2009