“Best welcome one can meet in India”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thekkady
Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat
Estonia
“Best welcome one can meet in India”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

It was our first visit to India, and we are really thankful and happy, that our trip to India started at Mundax Homestay, the perfect place to meet India in its best. Yoga was perfect for both of us, although one of us has been practicing yoga for more than ten years and the other one started her practice just in India. Food was more than delicious, giving us the opportunity to sense the nice variety of different tastes of local food. But above all was the hospitality that Agi and Mathew shared. Really nice people doing great job!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pohang, South Korea
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I visited for just a few days as it was booked, but nevertheless it was the highlight of our trip to India. Mundax has a unique gift for teaching and even though we were beginners at yoga, he made us feel comfortable and at ease. Agi took particular interest in our progress and gave me some highly useful advice in dealing with a few hurdles in my personal life. I left Mundax with a greater sense of self and a newfound zest for life. The food was wholesome, carefully prepared, and seemingly without any oil. We will return as soon as we possibly can. This is by no means a "for profit" business, but two kind souls changing the world one person at a time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jones J
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Six days of calming yoga, fresh vegetarian food, wonderful company, a cozy abode, and greenery abound completely nourished my body and spirit. Matthew and Agi are generous beyond means, sharing their home and giving their warm energy and guidance so freely to their visiting guests. I left Mundax with a lighter and more grounded spirit, a better understanding and patience for finding “the way”, a great interest in Kerala cuisine and a deep love for individual and more mindful yoga practice, something I’ve continued since returning home. That nagging knot on my back… gone, but comes back if I miss a day! While it was hard to say goodbye, I feel Matthew, Agi and Mundax will be in my heart always.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I spent a week at Mundax to relax and recharge at the end of a trip around Kerala. I enjoyed every moment at the retreat and felt completely at home during my stay. A typical day at Mundax starts with a 2-hour morning yoga session, followed by a hearty and delicious brunch. Tea is served in the afternoon, and then there is a second 2-hour yoga session before a scrumptious vegetarian dinner. The yoga sessions are gentle, with a focus on breathing and meditation. Mathew and Agi are also able to adapt their classes according to your level of experience. The classes are kept small (maximum 4 people), so you will enjoy individual attention.

During my stay, I had the pleasure of getting to know Mathew and Agi as well as the other guests from UK and Estonia over engaging conversations at mealtimes. I enjoyed lovely walks around the village and nearby tea gardens. Mathew also helped to organise a day trip (with everyone's favourite driver Biju) to visit a tea factory, spice garden and the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.

The retreat is an all-round positive and enriching experience, which I highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The experience staying with Mat & Agi was really wonderful, and not easily forgotten. I wish I could have stayed so much longer!
On the practicalities front - I stayed in both guest rooms during my stay and they were both beautifully kept and comfortable, the reading room was a nice touch too and I enjoyed sitting looking out at the tea plantations with a good book from the collection. The food was amazing, delicious and a treat every day, served with care and wonderful hospitality. In terms of location, it's truly off the beaten track and in a 4 week trip to India was the only place I really didn't see other tourists and felt like I was able to really get a flavour of local life.
The real highlight of the experience though was the wonderful yoga and meditation experience and meeting Agi & Mat. The way in which they open up their home and share their way of life is really special, and they are incredibly astute to the needs of their guests. I have practiced both yoga and meditation for a number of years and yet in 4 days I felt like I had learned so much more than ever before about both practices. I have brought home some new skills and perspectives that have had a deep impact on me. A wonderful experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We highly recommend staying at the Mundax Homestay if you are looking for a relaxing, comfortable, off-the-beaten path experience in Kerala. Mundax was a great option for my husband and I; while I am a yoga-lover, my husband is a yoga-novice so we wanted to pick a yoga retreat where there were other possible activities outside of yoga. Matthew and Agi teach a "mindful Hatha" style of yoga that is physically gentle but great after hours of traveling by planes, trains, and automobile and also accessible. They focus on the breathing which is greatly calming and relaxing and are willing to tailor the sessions to your interests and preferences.

The accommodations and location were great. The house is cool, spacious and comfortable with a decent wi-fi connection. We fell in love with the town of Kuttikanam where you are walking distance from acres of tea plantations that you can explore at your own leisure as well as an Ayurvedic hospital where you can get treatments of your choice. There are many other sights and attractions that are accessible through a day trip excursion by car which Matthew is happy to arrange for you.

Matthew and Agi are caring, interesting, and organized hosts. You get to know them over lunch and dinner, but they also give you plenty of space. They are very organized and will arrange whatever you need so that you feel taken care of. Lastly, they are sincerely compassionate and good-natured folks, so by the time you leave, you feel as if you have made some new friends. For example, I love coffee and was very interested in the local coffee agriculture. Matthew and Agi gave me some of the coffee grown on their brother's farm as a parting gift.

The Mundax Retreat was one of the highlights of our recent honeymoon trip to India.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ami Z
portland, or
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I just let Mundax and I sincerely wish that I could have extended my trip! It is nested in a beautiful and quiet valley surrounded by tea plantations. I immediately felt at home--the room was large and comfortable and the food--oh the food--delicious and very wholesome. I really enjoyed the morning and afternoon yoga sessions, it was such a treat to have this focused "me-time". Mundax is also very close to an Ayurveda Hospital where I received treatments and massage during my stay (I recommend doing this). Mathew and Agi are also wonderful people and I really enjoyed spending time and talking with them both. My stay was just what I needed and I am hoping that I will have the chance to return in the future. Great place to relax and unwind.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thekkady
Jungle Palace
Misty Mountain Plantation Resort
Coffee Routes Resort
Coffee Routes Resort
#2 of 93 in Thekkady

Been to Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!