“Missing that bliss”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thekkady
Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Six days of calming yoga, fresh vegetarian food, wonderful company, a cozy abode, and greenery abound completely nourished my body and spirit. Matthew and Agi are generous beyond means, sharing their home and giving their warm energy and guidance so freely to their visiting guests. I left Mundax with a lighter and more grounded spirit, a better understanding and patience for finding “the way”, a great interest in Kerala cuisine and a deep love for individual and more mindful yoga practice, something I’ve continued since returning home. That nagging knot on my back… gone, but comes back if I miss a day! While it was hard to say goodbye, I feel Matthew, Agi and Mundax will be in my heart always.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I spent a week at Mundax to relax and recharge at the end of a trip around Kerala. I enjoyed every moment at the retreat and felt completely at home during my stay. A typical day at Mundax starts with a 2-hour morning yoga session, followed by a hearty and delicious brunch. Tea is served in the afternoon, and then there is a second 2-hour yoga session before a scrumptious vegetarian dinner. The yoga sessions are gentle, with a focus on breathing and meditation. Mathew and Agi are also able to adapt their classes according to your level of experience. The classes are kept small (maximum 4 people), so you will enjoy individual attention.

During my stay, I had the pleasure of getting to know Mathew and Agi as well as the other guests from UK and Estonia over engaging conversations at mealtimes. I enjoyed lovely walks around the village and nearby tea gardens. Mathew also helped to organise a day trip (with everyone's favourite driver Biju) to visit a tea factory, spice garden and the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.

The retreat is an all-round positive and enriching experience, which I highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The experience staying with Mat & Agi was really wonderful, and not easily forgotten. I wish I could have stayed so much longer!
On the practicalities front - I stayed in both guest rooms during my stay and they were both beautifully kept and comfortable, the reading room was a nice touch too and I enjoyed sitting looking out at the tea plantations with a good book from the collection. The food was amazing, delicious and a treat every day, served with care and wonderful hospitality. In terms of location, it's truly off the beaten track and in a 4 week trip to India was the only place I really didn't see other tourists and felt like I was able to really get a flavour of local life.
The real highlight of the experience though was the wonderful yoga and meditation experience and meeting Agi & Mat. The way in which they open up their home and share their way of life is really special, and they are incredibly astute to the needs of their guests. I have practiced both yoga and meditation for a number of years and yet in 4 days I felt like I had learned so much more than ever before about both practices. I have brought home some new skills and perspectives that have had a deep impact on me. A wonderful experience!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We highly recommend staying at the Mundax Homestay if you are looking for a relaxing, comfortable, off-the-beaten path experience in Kerala. Mundax was a great option for my husband and I; while I am a yoga-lover, my husband is a yoga-novice so we wanted to pick a yoga retreat where there were other possible activities outside of yoga. Matthew and Agi teach a "mindful Hatha" style of yoga that is physically gentle but great after hours of traveling by planes, trains, and automobile and also accessible. They focus on the breathing which is greatly calming and relaxing and are willing to tailor the sessions to your interests and preferences.

The accommodations and location were great. The house is cool, spacious and comfortable with a decent wi-fi connection. We fell in love with the town of Kuttikanam where you are walking distance from acres of tea plantations that you can explore at your own leisure as well as an Ayurvedic hospital where you can get treatments of your choice. There are many other sights and attractions that are accessible through a day trip excursion by car which Matthew is happy to arrange for you.

Matthew and Agi are caring, interesting, and organized hosts. You get to know them over lunch and dinner, but they also give you plenty of space. They are very organized and will arrange whatever you need so that you feel taken care of. Lastly, they are sincerely compassionate and good-natured folks, so by the time you leave, you feel as if you have made some new friends. For example, I love coffee and was very interested in the local coffee agriculture. Matthew and Agi gave me some of the coffee grown on their brother's farm as a parting gift.

The Mundax Retreat was one of the highlights of our recent honeymoon trip to India.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ami Z
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I just let Mundax and I sincerely wish that I could have extended my trip! It is nested in a beautiful and quiet valley surrounded by tea plantations. I immediately felt at home--the room was large and comfortable and the food--oh the food--delicious and very wholesome. I really enjoyed the morning and afternoon yoga sessions, it was such a treat to have this focused "me-time". Mundax is also very close to an Ayurveda Hospital where I received treatments and massage during my stay (I recommend doing this). Mathew and Agi are also wonderful people and I really enjoyed spending time and talking with them both. My stay was just what I needed and I am hoping that I will have the chance to return in the future. Great place to relax and unwind.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at Mundax for 5 nights for Christmas 2012. It was perfect. The yoga sessions are respectful of the body and allowed me to go deeper inside myself and really feel the present moment. The talks we had, the pranayama and meditation were also great teachings, and opportunities to go deeper into the inner experience. Both Agi and Matthew are great people, totally in their heart and happy to be there and share their life with the guests. The surroundings are peaceful. The food is great (too great?? I ate soooo much...!) and the service is very personnalised (there are only 2 rooms). Everything is totally clean and the room is beautiful and confortable, I slept so well while I was there (probably the best sleep I had in my whole Indian trip!)

I would totally recommend this place. It is in a small village, but a daytrip to Kumily can be organized with Biju, their friendly driver.

Thank you for everything, I left with tears in my eyes, but so much peace and happiness in my heart. I wish you the best.

Love and peace

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank entoutesaison
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I just returned from a 10 day stay at Mundax Yoga Homestay. I enjoyed every moment of this trip. Mathew and Agi were fantastic hosts and excellent Yoga teachers. I felt privileged and lucky to be learning yoga from such terrific gurus. I'm a long distance runner and after finishing my marathon in the middle of November, I was looking forward to a restful vacation to stretch and rest all my muscles. This trip offered me exactly what I was looking for. Two yoga sessions each day gave me lot of oppurtunities to improve and correct my approach to yoga and learning the postures in a way that is relaxing and restful to the body. I'm a huge fan of south Indian food and my excellent hosts offered variety of healthy and vegetarian kerala dishes. I savoured every breakfast and meal. I felt pampered throughout my stay. Location itself was very quiet and gave me lot of oppurtunities to walk and run. Birju(taxi driver) was great and very helpful in taking me on the trips to Thekkady, Alleppy and so many scenic drives around Kuttikanum.

Thank you Mathew and Agi for everything. I look forward to adding yoga practice to my lifestyle and want to take time to visit Mundax on every India trip.
Keep up the good work. Best Regards Mahesha

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thekkady
Niraamaya Retreats Cardamom Club - Thekkady
Amaana Plantation Resort
Amaana Plantation Resort
#2 of 43 in Thekkady
Misty Mountain Plantation Resort

Been to Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!