“Relax and recharge”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thekkady
Mundax Homestay Yoga Retreat
“Relax and recharge”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I spent a week at Mundax to relax and recharge at the end of a trip around Kerala. I enjoyed every moment at the retreat and felt completely at home during my stay. A typical day at Mundax starts with a 2-hour morning yoga session, followed by a hearty and delicious brunch. Tea is served in the afternoon, and then there is a second 2-hour yoga session before a scrumptious vegetarian dinner. The yoga sessions are gentle, with a focus on breathing and meditation. Mathew and Agi are also able to adapt their classes according to your level of experience. The classes are kept small (maximum 4 people), so you will enjoy individual attention.

During my stay, I had the pleasure of getting to know Mathew and Agi as well as the other guests from UK and Estonia over engaging conversations at mealtimes. I enjoyed lovely walks around the village and nearby tea gardens. Mathew also helped to organise a day trip (with everyone's favourite driver Biju) to visit a tea factory, spice garden and the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.

The retreat is an all-round positive and enriching experience, which I highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The experience staying with Mat & Agi was really wonderful, and not easily forgotten. I wish I could have stayed so much longer!
On the practicalities front - I stayed in both guest rooms during my stay and they were both beautifully kept and comfortable, the reading room was a nice touch too and I enjoyed sitting looking out at the tea plantations with a good book from the collection. The food was amazing, delicious and a treat every day, served with care and wonderful hospitality. In terms of location, it's truly off the beaten track and in a 4 week trip to India was the only place I really didn't see other tourists and felt like I was able to really get a flavour of local life.
The real highlight of the experience though was the wonderful yoga and meditation experience and meeting Agi & Mat. The way in which they open up their home and share their way of life is really special, and they are incredibly astute to the needs of their guests. I have practiced both yoga and meditation for a number of years and yet in 4 days I felt like I had learned so much more than ever before about both practices. I have brought home some new skills and perspectives that have had a deep impact on me. A wonderful experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We highly recommend staying at the Mundax Homestay if you are looking for a relaxing, comfortable, off-the-beaten path experience in Kerala. Mundax was a great option for my husband and I; while I am a yoga-lover, my husband is a yoga-novice so we wanted to pick a yoga retreat where there were other possible activities outside of yoga. Matthew and Agi teach a "mindful Hatha" style of yoga that is physically gentle but great after hours of traveling by planes, trains, and automobile and also accessible. They focus on the breathing which is greatly calming and relaxing and are willing to tailor the sessions to your interests and preferences.

The accommodations and location were great. The house is cool, spacious and comfortable with a decent wi-fi connection. We fell in love with the town of Kuttikanam where you are walking distance from acres of tea plantations that you can explore at your own leisure as well as an Ayurvedic hospital where you can get treatments of your choice. There are many other sights and attractions that are accessible through a day trip excursion by car which Matthew is happy to arrange for you.

Matthew and Agi are caring, interesting, and organized hosts. You get to know them over lunch and dinner, but they also give you plenty of space. They are very organized and will arrange whatever you need so that you feel taken care of. Lastly, they are sincerely compassionate and good-natured folks, so by the time you leave, you feel as if you have made some new friends. For example, I love coffee and was very interested in the local coffee agriculture. Matthew and Agi gave me some of the coffee grown on their brother's farm as a parting gift.

The Mundax Retreat was one of the highlights of our recent honeymoon trip to India.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ami Z
portland, or
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I just let Mundax and I sincerely wish that I could have extended my trip! It is nested in a beautiful and quiet valley surrounded by tea plantations. I immediately felt at home--the room was large and comfortable and the food--oh the food--delicious and very wholesome. I really enjoyed the morning and afternoon yoga sessions, it was such a treat to have this focused "me-time". Mundax is also very close to an Ayurveda Hospital where I received treatments and massage during my stay (I recommend doing this). Mathew and Agi are also wonderful people and I really enjoyed spending time and talking with them both. My stay was just what I needed and I am hoping that I will have the chance to return in the future. Great place to relax and unwind.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at Mundax for 5 nights for Christmas 2012. It was perfect. The yoga sessions are respectful of the body and allowed me to go deeper inside myself and really feel the present moment. The talks we had, the pranayama and meditation were also great teachings, and opportunities to go deeper into the inner experience. Both Agi and Matthew are great people, totally in their heart and happy to be there and share their life with the guests. The surroundings are peaceful. The food is great (too great?? I ate soooo much...!) and the service is very personnalised (there are only 2 rooms). Everything is totally clean and the room is beautiful and confortable, I slept so well while I was there (probably the best sleep I had in my whole Indian trip!)

I would totally recommend this place. It is in a small village, but a daytrip to Kumily can be organized with Biju, their friendly driver.

Thank you for everything, I left with tears in my eyes, but so much peace and happiness in my heart. I wish you the best.

Love and peace

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank entoutesaison
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I just returned from a 10 day stay at Mundax Yoga Homestay. I enjoyed every moment of this trip. Mathew and Agi were fantastic hosts and excellent Yoga teachers. I felt privileged and lucky to be learning yoga from such terrific gurus. I'm a long distance runner and after finishing my marathon in the middle of November, I was looking forward to a restful vacation to stretch and rest all my muscles. This trip offered me exactly what I was looking for. Two yoga sessions each day gave me lot of oppurtunities to improve and correct my approach to yoga and learning the postures in a way that is relaxing and restful to the body. I'm a huge fan of south Indian food and my excellent hosts offered variety of healthy and vegetarian kerala dishes. I savoured every breakfast and meal. I felt pampered throughout my stay. Location itself was very quiet and gave me lot of oppurtunities to walk and run. Birju(taxi driver) was great and very helpful in taking me on the trips to Thekkady, Alleppy and so many scenic drives around Kuttikanum.

Thank you Mathew and Agi for everything. I look forward to adding yoga practice to my lifestyle and want to take time to visit Mundax on every India trip.
Keep up the good work. Best Regards Mahesha

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Our family was warmly welcomed by Mathew and Agi to their beautiful homestay in the Keralan hills. We stayed 4 nights with a 6 year old and a 3 year old, and although Mundax is a quiet sanctuary, there was no problem with our kids running around exploring. Agi kindly watched the kids so that my husband and I could practice yoga together. They were entertained with their own yoga, lots of craft, games and explorations of the beautiful garden.

Both Mathew and Agi are clearly passionate and knowledgeable about their practice of yoga. The morning and afternoon yoga sessions were focused on mindfulness and being fully present and contained many morsels of interesting insights.

The food at Mundax was superb. We got to explore the food of Kerala at each and every meal. Their cook really outdid herself. The hospitality from Mathew and Agi was above and beyond what we expected. Mundax itself is a beautiful and very clean home that Mathew built, with beautiful views over the interesting garden and local area. Our room was huge, comfortable and airy. There is also a fantastic book collection with a focus on yoga, meditation and spirituality.

And a special mention goes to Biju, our driver, who picked us up from our previous accommodation 3.5 hours away and drove us around the sights in the Kumily and Thekkady area (spice gardens, tea plantations etc), then dropped us off at our next destination. As a local, he had many interesting stories of the area, the people, the politics.

We highly recommend this homestay that offers the traveller more than just a place to sleep.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms. T0000he big room with a door to the outside is perfect for families.