“Great staff, shame about the hotel”
Review of Aranya Nivas KTDC

Aranya Nivas KTDC
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Thekkady
London
“Great staff, shame about the hotel”
Reviewed February 3, 2010

We booked to stay for 3 nights here but we left early as the hotel is pretty poor. I felt really sorry for the staff because it seemed they knew the hotel was a bit rubbish but couldn't really do anything about it! It's a KTDC run hotel and like many KTDC connected activities we experienced - they don't keep things very well. The whole place is tired looking, the pool was a dirty brown colour (we reckoned the nearby lake was safer for swimming), you can't open the windows because of the monkeys, there's no AC, you are locked inside the park hotel from 6.00pm and, joy of joys, all the trekking activities need to be booked at an office OUTSIDE the park (as they say in the US - go figure). On the more positive side - we thought the food was actually great - very tasty, a good range and loads of it served! The staff in the restaurant were very nice too - attentive, not overbearing and with lots of personality. Overall - I would stay in Thekkady town.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheMoulays

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
Kolkata
Reviewed January 27, 2010

I concluded my trip to Kerala in September and here I am sharing my experience about the best place I have stayed in during my trip. Yes. Aranya Nivas it is.

I had experienced the hospitality of KTDC earlier but this was even better. The hotel is situated within the boundary of Periyar National Park and just beside the Periyar Lake. Infact the Thekkady Lake boat safari jetty is at a stone throwing distance from the hotel gate.

Though situated inside a forest, the luxury and comfort offered by the place was pleasantly unexpected to me. I stayed at a deluxe room and the room quality was decent enough for its price. The hotel has all the modern amenities like beer parlor, internet café, Laundry service, foreign currency exchange etc. We were also offered complementary boat safari in the Thekkady Lake once a day for the two days we stayed in there.

I personally was most impressed with the restaurant and the beer bar. I am kind of a foodie and the restaurant was a delight for me. It offered various Indian, Chinese and Continental Cuisines and the taste of the food was absolutely fabulous. The beer bar had arrangement of various kinds of table games and is a nice hangout place in the evening.

Only disadvantage I felt was that the national park was closed at 6 PM. and you are not allowed to roam outside the hotel compound after that. But the luxury of staying at the heart of a wilderness, justifies such little adjustments specially when there are a lot of options inside the hotel itself.

Overall I would say this is definitely a 4 out of 5 from me and one of the best hotels I have stayed in on holidays. I would like to get back to the peace and tranquility of the hotel whenever I visit Kerala again.

• Liked — restaurant and the beer bar
  • Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Whitley Bay
Reviewed December 27, 2009

we spent 2 nights and 2 days at Aranya Nivas. The staff were curteous, and helpful. not a clean swimming pool,we noticed dead flies in the pool. I am not sure if it is cleaned every day.but in the middle of the forest,there will be flies!!!, but cleaning the pool twice will help.
food was good.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Malaysia
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We had a great trip in Kerala in October’09. The trip was for 8 days, we stayed in Kumarokom, Thekkady, Munnar , Kochi and in a Houseboat (“one of the ten things like to do before die”!!); the major theme of this trip was to spend a quality time with my family.

In Thekkady we stayed in the Aranya Nivas, which is run by the Kerala Tourist Development Corporation (KTDC).

- Booking Experience:

I had a good experience while booking the rooms in this hotel, the front desk and reservations staffs are friendly and responsive. I made a bank transfer to their account and got the confirmation quite quickly and at the time of check in, it was quite organized – no mess!!

But I hope in near future they will have the facility for Credit card guarantee facility also.

- Periyar Reserve Forest Entrance:

All the KTDC hotels are inside the Periyar Reserve Forest. If you like Jungle and enjoy the pristine environment of the jungle – this is the place…, you can roam, stroll inside the
Jungle.

The resort in located on the banks of river Periyar and inside the Periyar Tiger Reserve.

The negatives: The entrance gate for the Periyar Reserve Forest closes at 6:30pm, so you can’t go outside after 6:30, as well as the entry pass is valid for one day – so each day you you have to pay for your car and for you !!
Before fixing this hotel, I read about this entrance timing and people’s agony not to come out of the hotel after 6:30, still I chose this hotel only for its location!! There are cheap and comparable hotels outside the forest (Spice Village, Wilders nest, Elephant Court) but they are 3-4 km away as well as Kumiley is not a happening place- you can do some shopping (mostly spice) and Kathakali dance show in some places.

- Rooms:

Fortunately, I got a great room with balcony and terrace (Premium room). But beware of the monkeys, in the daytime they can enter inside your room!! (we have experience thisw also) I found the beds are relatively hards, rooms are specious but most of the rooms don’t have A/c.

- Food

Though I had a MAP category, I feel the food is little expensive and very little choice in the Pub!! The food at the buffet is delicious and covering continental, Indian and Keralian style. The overall spread of dishes for buffet breakfast and dinner is good.

The staffs are friendly, responsive.

Overall:

A nice place to stay !!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Karlsruhe
Reviewed September 21, 2009

This hotel is run by the government and lies within the P. Nature Reserve, which is closed after 6 p.m what means that you are stuck inside. There is nothing to do within the hotel besides going into a cold and not well kept swimmingpool. You feel bit like a prisoner because even going for a walk next to the lake is forbidden. You cant leave the windows open (not through the day and also not through the night) cause monkeys are coming inside your room, what I experienced...;-)
So you also have to eat within the hotel which is costly and not good. The service is unprofessional. The rooms are spacy but oldfashioned like the hole hotel. The beds are really hard. The price for staying in this hotel is much too high!!!!
The best experience I had was the junglewalk in the morning. You might maybe not see elephants or tigers but a lot of other animals. Special is the sound and the smell of the forest....I loved it
All in all: Book accomodation outside of the park

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank evafoi
albany
Reviewed August 2, 2009

I am from India but live in the USA, so it was very saddening for me to see such a broad day light loot by KTDC. The rooms are located conveniently near the entrance of the lake, they are big with very basic ventilation and bathrooms. The dining room is terrible, especially as you are forced to eat in, at least in the night!!! the entrance closes at 6pm so you are stuck inside. There isnt much to do once you are in the hotel, pool closes at 7pm and is dirty, table tennis is in a distant furnace like room, TV is poor. I vacated the room early and I am still haggling for my refund, try and find something better outside the forest.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heartforu
Mumbai
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I along with parents and my nephew visited this beautiful place on banks of river Periyar.

As the resort is owned by Kerala Tourism Development Corporation its location is very breathtaking. The resort in located on the banks of river Periyar and in the Periyar Tiger Reserve. The resort is very beatiful well attended rooms / suites along with all modern aminities like swimming pool etc.

The food at the resort is all delicious but slightly costly. The overall spread of dishes for buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner is very nice.

Overall it is beautiful place to stay when you are in Thekkady.

We all enjoyed this place and its surroundings

Aeroplanewala

• Liked — its beautiful surrond
  • Disliked — cost of the food
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled with family