After a four hour undulating journey we were pleased to arrive at Spice Village in Thekkady, up in the Western Ghats against the border with the neighbouring state of Tamil Nadu.
The thatched roofed cottages were an absolute delight, although we never really got to grips with the lighting system in our room! The spread out site was well signed and WiFi was available in reception.
The food at Spice Village’s Tamarind restaurant was served buffet style and there were a wide variety of dishes available, including some non spicy options eg beef cooked to order with vegetables.
The tea shop serves light lunch and snack options during the day. Sandwiches are large - one order between two is probably enough for most people.
There is a nice looking pool with a limited number of sunbeds surrounding but we didn’t use it as we were busy doing other things.
Entertainment was a dancing display before dinner each evening also a cooking demonstration which was very interesting. We look forward to trying out the recipes, which have been emailed to us, at home.
The onsite naturalists are also available to give information about local flora & fauna.
Staff are without exception friendly and helpful. We particularly like the commitment to ecotourism. We would happily have spent longer here.
We had an interesting time in the Periyar Wildlife reserve and even saw a tiger. Sadly it was only a stuffed toy at a roadside tea stall !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spice Village is an eco resort in the hills(thekkady) near the Periyar wildlife sanctuary. A cluster of tribal style huts set in a beautiful spice garden is a great escape for most tourists from the heat of the plains, and also a great place for some adventure activities. We have a comfortable pool, an ayurvedic spa, we organise treks into the forest, bamboo rafting and many more. A walk through the property itself is a great way to explore many aspects of nature and the green initiatives undertaken at this eco resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Priceline and HRS so you can book your Spice Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spice Village Hotel Thekkady
- Spice Village Thekkady, Kerala