“Nice experience”

Hotel Tigers Roare'
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Thekkady
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Room was very good equipped with modern amenities. Food quality and quantity needs improvement.
Room service was good.
Location near to Elephant Camp. For Periyar National Park you have to travel 40kms.

Our room was 201 which had glass walls. It was very very hot in afternoon . Even keeping AC to 18 degrees could not bring any comfort.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
1  Thank Aditi S

Reviewed January 28, 2014

My experience to this hotel was very good impact awesome...rooms are very very good and facilities available are best, service is on time..located just at the entrance of Periyar Tiger Reserve...everything about this hotel is awesome

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank skt4u
tiger786410, General Manager at Hotel Tigers Roare', responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Greetings from Tigersroar Thekkady...!!!
Endear Guest,
Thank you for the review.. we are very happy to know that, you were happy with us during your stay at Tigersroar and I feel proud to be a part of the team on this endeavor.

Kindly visit us again if you are visiting Thekkady again.

With all best regards, thank you once again for choosing our Hotel for your stay and for the valuable time spent to give us a sincere feedback.

Warm regards,

Haroun

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Before writing this review, I have actually had to sit down and really think about what I wanted to write.. The most frustrating thing about this hotel is that it has so, so much potential. The setting is excellent, the hotel itself is lovely and the views are amazing. The rooms are lovely, and the staff are very friendly and approachable, and will help you out, and I loved that about it! The bed was really comfy and I slept very well, and the shower was awesome! I wish I had that shower at home.. The views were amazing (as mentioned previously), and I did just sit there some mornings and watch all the various animals wandering around and found it to be really relaxing. If could just leave it there, I'd give it five stars.. But the reasons I had to give it the rating I gave it though, are now about to be explained..

This is the bit I did not really want to write about, there were flaws with the hotel (only the hotel, not the staff).
-Firstly, the room was quite literally falling apart. The wallpaper was off the wall for one, which irritated me as all it needed was some glue to stick it back down!
-Secondly, cement was actually falling off the ceiling, and on four occasions, we witnessed it fall, and it wasn't just a little bit either, it was pretty big chunks! When we entered the room initially, there was some cement on the window ledges.
-Thirdly, the fittings were quite loose- the bathroom tap being the main one. The finish seemed to be a bit rushed and there were examples throughout the room of this (like wires being seem on ceiling, and behind the lighted mirror), and the rest of what I'm gonna write).
-Fourthly, as there was no proper flooring around the outer edges of the room (it was just the steel from the windows, we could hear, clear as day, the people underneath. At one stage, I got awoken at 0740 to the TV blaring from down below and the next morning, I could also hear the same person, but this time at 0645, on the phone to someone.. It was a noisy experience.
-Fifthly, the lift doors didn't always register that they'd been shut, so you'd hear it for aaaages asking for the doors to be shut, which meant that we had to walk up instead of being able to use the lift.. that was also something that woke me up. And whilst in the lift, the doors would not open, so we had to go back down a floor just to get out.
-Sixthly, the restaurant serves breakfast until 1030.. But on our last morning, we got a call saying that breakfast had closed, an hour and fifteen minutes early.. no explanation.
-Lastly, one of the main reasons we chose this hotel was because of what it said it had on its website.. the mocktail lounge is actually not open to anyone, so when we went to go to it, we had a shock when we were told it was closed.. something about having no license.. But on the website it says it was open! And this is what swayed us into staying here. There was also a coffee shop listed online.. don't expect to find that, either.

It's a really huge shame that the review couldn't be more positive, as the hotel itself is lovely, and I was suitably impressed by Haroun and the reception staff, and I was humbled by how much they helped us out. So although I haven't written much that is hugely positive, I really must point out how good the staff were and they were what made our stay.

Room Tip: Provided that the issues mentioned above are seen to, make sure you get the best room you can afford...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gemma O
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This was to have been the highlight of our 10 day kerala vacation and to ring in the new year! To say it was "terrible" is an understatement. The town is a tourist trap lined with cheap souvenir shops. The whole new year celebration was a competition of all "hotels" and resorts to play loudest music and have live entertainment. People paid serious money to watch this circus. The main problem at Tigers Roare was that the AC ductwork also worked as a loud speaker so that we were assaulted by people's conversations as well as the music from outside as well as from other rooms all through the night. Also, Mr. Haroun GM at the hotel assured me when I had booked, that he will arrange all tours as per the website with cost price etc. 24 hours before our arrival, he claims he has no one to take us and suddenly the price hikes up several times from the original quoted price. The only kind thing we have to say, is about the Italian run bar adjacent to the premise. They were great !

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Ananth P
Reviewed January 4, 2014

if u are planning to select this hotel just by looking the rating, think 10 times. this is a nicely located hotel but the management is worst and very commercial minded people. i had horrible experience when i visited this hotel for honeymoon. i have to call minimum of 8-10 times for any room service and the manager and staff were totally unfriendly. even i struggled to get the hot water in a luxury room that to in mid winter season. try to avoid this hotel. if u are forced to go to this hotel please don't opt for candle lit dinner (the worst arrangement that i have ever seen in my life) and floral decoration as they don't know the concept and importance these things. i am not telling that all the people in this hotel are bad but the money that you are paying will be totally waste as you are ending with horrible experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank raju2014
tiger786410, General Manager at Hotel Tigers Roare', responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Greetings from Tigersroare’!
Endear Guest,
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback which will encourage us to do much more better. I am really half sorry if you'd felt any dissatisfaction of our service. The day you were with us we were completely sold out with some group booking of Kesari Tours That’s why we could not arrange a separate candle light Dinner table in our Restaurant-I am very sorry for this.
As for the flower decoration is concern whatever we are charged the agent accordingly we have done the settings, normally we do these setups before guests check in like how we did it for you but you wanted exactly before going to sleep that’s not possible for that particular day coz we arrange these decorations from a local flower vender .
As I really remember the hot water was so fine but you were asking for hot boiling water and the tub which was not in our any rooms. The agent must have explain different but we are sure whatever we got from the agent we stand to that one n we did our best level to make you happy we could offer only a 3 star amenities not a 5 star.
Anyway it was great having you with us and thank you so much for your valuable feedback will help us to serve our esteemed guests far better. On behalf of the entire staff here at Tigersroare’ … I thank you once again for sharing your valuable time with us & once again sorry for the inconvenience ..Please forgive us!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I'm a bit on the fence about this one. On the one hand, a really nice room with a gorgeous view.
The decor, on the other hand, was quite garish. A lot of fake snakeskin and large 'diamonds' and cheap Chinese motifs. I also felt there was a lack of attention to detail within the room itself. For instance, the fixtures in the bathroom were loose (taps and shower), and there was a coffee-maker and cups but no spoons (I used a sugar tong, even though there was no sugar bowl). The TV remote was in Chinese, which did make it a bit of a challenge to figure out the TV.
What frustrated me was the difficulty we had in understanding how the dining system worked. There seemed to a bunch of different eating places on different floors, and it was hard to know which one was open and which one wasn't. There were no prawns available, nor a couple of other things we asked for. As for the complimentary breakfast, unless you are happy with the South Indian food (which I felt was a bit much for me in the morning), you will be disappointed. No eggs, not even proper toast, and the waiters seemed least concerned in accommodating us even when I offered to pay for something else.
There is a nice little pizza place a minute's walk away - I would suggest going there to eat rather than at the hotel.

Room Tip: Get one which has a nice panoramic view of the forest behind. I think those are the royal suites or...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
tiger786410, General Manager at Hotel Tigers Roare', responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Greetings from Tigersroare’!
Endear Guest,
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback which will encourage us to do much more better. I am really half sorry if you'd felt any dissatisfaction of our F&B service. The day you were with us we had some pure vegetarian group will not even like to see the eggs on the counter that’s why we did not kept but as for the prawns we are sorry also to the most carelessness of not keeping the spoon & sugar bowl..I am very sorry for this.
As for the Chinese TV remote if you could have informed the housekeeping they could have set the same in English. Anyway it was great having you with us and thank you so much for your valuable feedback will help us to serve our esteemed guests far better. On behalf of the entire staff here at Tigersroare’ … I thank you once again for sharing your valuable time with us & once again sorry for the inconvenience..please forgive us!

Warm Regards,

Haroun,

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Me and my family stayed here last week and the hotel is superb. The staff is very co-operative and rooms are well maintained.
The view from the room is good and this hotel is very close to jungle. We stayed in Elite honeymoon room and the feel was royal.

Highly recommend this for honeymooners with standard budget.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank traveladiction
tiger786410, General Manager at Hotel Tigers Roare', responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Greetings from Tigersroar Thekkady...!!!
Endear Guest,

Kindly visit us again if you are visiting Thekkady again.

Warm regards,