You walk in across a narrow bridge, below which are tropical plants, to a large reception/lounge area where you are greeted by very friendly, helpful staff. The communal areas are attractively furnished, including a lounge in the main building and a cottage room with books and TV open to all. (What a pity that someone had torn the local pages out of the Travel Guide!) There is also a small swimming pool with loungers around. Most of the accommodation is in individual thatched cottages that are scattered around the beautiful gardens, linked by steps and rough paths of varying gradients. These cottages are comfortably furnished, with en suite, a small fridge and tea or coffee making facilities. Each has its own private terrace overlooking the gardens, with candles for the evening. We had lunch and an evening meal which were both fine and they packed us a decent breakfast for our early departure to visit the Periyar Sanctuary. We only gave it 4 stars because it felt gloomy and lacked atmosphere - although that might have been because there was only one other couple there. Also, you could not order wine to have with your meal. A lot of thought has gone into this "hotel" and it almost works, but not quite for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The bridge to Shalimar, over a mountain stream meandering through the resort, transcends you to another world, seemingly untouched by man. Shalimar Spice Garden is a celebration of scents and colours. Pepper vines snake through your room balconies, butterflies dance to the sound of silence and orchids smile into your windows every morning. This Sublime Journey through waterfalls, tea estates, spice & vegetable plantations, and Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary only enhances the invitation to live the Shalimar experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Shalimar Spice Garden - An Amritara Private Hideaway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shalimar Spice Garden Hotel Kumily
- Shalimar Spice Garden Thekkady
- Shalimar Spice Garden - An Amritara Private Hideaway Thekkady, Kerala