On first impression this hotel has the charm you would expect for a hill site retreat, but there are a number of issues which may spoil your stay. These are:
1. While the staff are friendly when we visited they had lost a couple of key employees, this meant prompt service was lacking,
2. Rooms are basic (and don;t have a TV in the room) and can be cold if you are visiting in December, but there is a fan heater in the room but this is not powerful enough to heat the bathroom,
3. If you are a light sleeper then you will be woken up by drumming which starts at 11:00pm and finishes at 1:00am, then singing which starts at 5:00am.
4. Free wifi only works at reception, we tried to get wifi working in the room but gave up and the staff did have the technical knowledge to fix the problem
4. Visiting in super peak season this hotel is very expensive for the facilities it offers, try booking your trip out side of the super peak season.
Besides the friendly staff, evening meal was very tasty, breakfast was OK but could do with more variety.
The hotel could address all the above problems except for drumming and singing as this emanates from the temple which is less than 1km away for the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The bridge to Shalimar, over a mountain stream meandering through the resort, transcends you to another world, seemingly untouched by man. Shalimar Spice Garden is a celebration of scents and colours. Pepper vines snake through your room balconies, butterflies dance to the sound of silence and orchids smile into your windows every morning. This Sublime Journey through waterfalls, tea estates, spice & vegetable plantations, and Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary only enhances the invitation to live the Shalimar experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, Expedia, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Shalimar Spice Garden - An Amritara Private Hideaway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shalimar Spice Garden Hotel Kumily
- Shalimar Spice Garden Thekkady
- Shalimar Spice Garden - An Amritara Private Hideaway Thekkady, Kerala