“OK Hotel”
Review of Michael's Inn

Michael's Inn
Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Thekkady
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I stayed there in Dec 09 and nothing to shout about . It was OK only. Well, the room and bathroom were clean but the comforter had urine smell . Hotel staircase was dirty . Staff were not friendly .

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed December 9, 2009

One of the better hotels I stayed at during a one month budget tour of India. Hotel is only about 10 years old.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 24, 2009

The Michael's inn was not the hotel where we booked our stay. The Tree Top Hotel Guys ditched us and therefore our travel agent sent us here. Nothing great about hotel, just simple rooms with simple beds, old time TV set. Our attaraction was wild animals at Thekkady but we were greeted by lizards in the room.

As we do not have any option, we had to stay there for a day. Except location near to central market, no other big deal.

This place should be called a lodge and not a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 28, 2009

We, a family of 4, stayed at Michaels Inn for 5 days over New Year. The location is great and the hotel rooms are comfortable and clean all though they are not that big. there is no facilities at hotel, but if you come to experience the surroundings, it is very all right. The only complain we had was that New Year Eve was a must at the hotel. The food was fine, but you had to eat outside, and even though they had made a fire, it was freezing cold (13 degrees) - a bad experience with two kids.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 22, 2009

The friendly hotel is situated near to the sanctuary. There are a lot of stores around and a small nice church. The service is excellent and very friendly, the cuisine is also good. My room was clean, only the bathroom smells a little bit.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2008

My wife & I had arrived at Thekkady for a day's stay as part of a 5D-4N package (2 Nights at Munnar, 1 N at Thekkady and 1 N on a houseboat at Alleppey).
While we cherished our experience at Munnar and the houseboat stay at Alleppey, the one day and night spent at Thekkady was something we did not like.
The experience at the hotel contributed much to our feeling of discontent.
We arrived at around 2 pm at Thekkady & at the hotel after a 5 hour drive from Munnar and there was no feeling of welcome & warmth at the front-desk & among the staff. Maybe the fact that it was off-season (mid-september), meant that the hotel was mostly empty and that probably caused a lack of enthusiasm among the staff.
While we had asked for a AC room, the front-desk had allotted us a non-AC room on the first floor. I came to know this after going to the room and I didnt feel it was worth all the trouble to go back down and ask for a change of room (moreover the temperature & humidity levels were on the lower side and pleasant). I just called up my travel agent and he agreed to refund me the difference.
The room itself was oddly-shaped - tapering on one end (kind of trapezoidal) - and the strong smell of new paint was mildly nauseous. The window of the room looked out on the neighbouring back-yard scrap heap - thank goodness for the curtain.
The bath towels and the cloth mat (just outside the bathroom) were not clean. And the bathroom itself was having an unpleasant smell. I called up the front desk and told them about it. In about 5 mins, 2 guys from house-keeping show up and ask me rudely, "what is your problem?". I told them what the problem was. They tell me that the bath-mat is clean enough (it was a cloth-mat looking trampled & dirty) - only the towels are replaced - and as for the bathroom, they get a bottle of cleaning fluid and splash it around. The cleaning fluid itself had a nauseous smell.
We put up with it, since we reasoned that we would be sight-seeing and spending the least time at the hotel itself.
We had lunch outside and after spending the afternoon on the Periyar Lake, we returned to the hotel in evening.
The room next-door to ours was left open. Empty liquor bottles, over-flowing ashtrays and dirty used plates of food were strewn both inside & outside the room. This was the same state even 30 mins later, when I ventured down to the reception to see if the restaurant was open.
The restaurant wanted me to place dinner orders right away if we wanted, since they were planning to close up early. I gave our orders and we had to finish dinner by 8 pm (in our room). In any case, we were exhausted and slept early.
Break-fast was a joke. The cost of the stay included break-fast. We were the only couple in the restaurant at 8.30 am (and all morning it looked like). The choices were very limited, although the menu listed quite a few things. The waiter said that since it is off-season, none of the south-indian items are available. So, we could have only bread (2 toasted slices), 1 bowl of corn-flakes with watered-down milk and an omelette, each. Tea to drink (again watered down milk and could not drink all of it). Pineapple juice was included and so I asked the waiter to get us one glass each. I regretted it the moment I sipped it - the pineapple juice smelt of stale onions - apparently a knife used to cut onions was also used to cut the pineapple. Yuck. we didnt drink the juice either.
We checked out right after breakfast and went on our way to Alleppey. I was so riled with the whole experience that I did not tip the guys who fetched our bag from the room to the car (the same guys who had asked me what my problem was the previous day. I always tip generously, but this was one time that I didnt feel like it.
All-in-all, an unpleasant experience. Would not recommend this hotel for a stay with family....and especially not during off-season. I hope they do better during the tourist season. But, I dont plan on finding out.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 8, 2008

My sister and I were travelling with a group of 9 people from the UK. My sister and I are Anglo Indians and obviously look Indian. We had booked four double rooms (one with an extra bed) through an Indian travel agent. When we got to the hotel, the man on reception said that three of the rooms were on the first floor but one was on the second floor (no lift). An Englishman in our party offered to take that room and took the key. The receptionist grabbed it from his hand and gave it to me (which I thought was odd at the time). It didn't worry me too much to be on a different floor to everyone else. When we got to the room, it was tiny - so much so that some of the door had been shaved off so that it would open without hitting the cupboard that the TV was on. It was also situated in a corner furthest away from the stairs and other rooms. I assumed all the rooms were the same as we had all paid the same. It was not until much later, when I went to one of the other rooms that I realised that their rooms were twice the size. I immediately went to find the receptionist, who was just showing a man into a double room right next door to the other three rooms that my friends were in (all rooms were in groups of 4). I asked him why my sister and I were not given this room as it was available and situated with the other 3 rooms. He said it had already been allocated to the man he was showing in. These rooms had been booked and paid for over two months ago so there was no reason why the hotel could not accommodate all of us together. They refused to move us and as we had already paid, they knew there was nothing we could do. I am writing this to warn other people that before they pay for their rooms or even book into this hotel, they should be aware of the sort of treatment that this hotel gives its guests who have travelled a very long way only to be treated as second class citizens.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends