We wanted to do something different for new years and decided to try out Kadavu for a 4 day New years vacation.
The airport is good 20-30 minutes away from the airport. Everyone knows this place and hence, getting to it (as an outsider who doesn't know much about the city) was a breeze.
Check-in was smooth, the staff at reception was friendly, efficient and answered all the questions. We had booked the "Superior River-view" room after reading a lot of tripadvisor reviews and it was totally worth it. The room was spacious, very well appointed, very comfortable beds, huge balcony with comfortable chairs where you can sit and enjoy the views or read a book.
The pool looked very inviting and was clean though we didn't really spend much time in there. You can walk along the river as well. Now, here are our reasons why we wouldn't call it a resort..
1. We were told there are multiple options for dining (they have fixed their website since and show 3 places). The staff was honest once we got there saying they "had" them and now, they just have one place. There was a buffet area and another area overlooking the river just outside the buffet area. The views from the "lounge" were nice but they just served some stuff that was available in the buffet area. The food was pretty good and service was alright.
2. A lot of locals frequent this lounge.. while it is not really a problem it can get louder and you don;t really feel that you are in a resort. The other problem we faced was too many strangers came and knocked on the room door only to say "sorry "wrong room" or asking for someone we had no clue about and we were on the thrid floor!! I would expect hotel to ensure that only people with room keys get to move around the place freely and not everyone.
3. The bar's beer menu is like Ford's Model-T.. You can get anything you want as long as you ask for what they have in the fridge. They do not believe in serving you a cold beer at all even when Calicut is generally pretty hot and humid.
4. It is pretty hard to get an appointment for a ayurveda massage .. May be because it was new years and way too many people. WE had to wait until the day we left for a massage. Wife told me it was very good ans worth the money spent.
5. They have boat tours in the morning and evening.. but try getting a place in the boat :-) We were told both sunrise and sunset boat trips are either booked full or not available. We were offered a tour for couples at a price we thought was a bit outrageous.
6. They do have some evening events.. but most are probably interesting for first time india visitors with events like henna, cocount tree climbing demonstration etc (at least, that's what they had when we were there)
They had a new year party... but it was "outsourced" to an external agency and the hotel could not sell the tickets to the event held in their premises. We were also told that most of the crowd will be locals and tickets have to purchased from the outside event organizers. We gave it a pass after giving it a thought. They did arrange for a new years dinner around the pool and it was packed with locals and we had to fight pretty ahrd with the hotel managers to get a table. The dinner was good, we were told they have run out beer and have only one brand in stock which was alright by us. There was some music (the same which was played in the buffet area the previous night).
Bottom line, there are not too many options in calicut and if you are going to be there, you will probably stay here.. But, we wouldn't consider calicut as a destination anytime soon :-)
Note: The rooms and the property are located such that you can;t see sun rise or sunset anywhere .. you probably have to get to the bridge that's just outside the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Raviz Kadavu is a Five star deluxe property having best of all facilities and comforts. Your trip to the God’s own country shall remain incomplete without being in the Raviz Kadavu Resort. The property is 12 km from Calicut International Airport and Kozhikode Railway Station. It represents a unique blend of ancient Mappila and Hindu culture aesthetically designed with traditional architecture to make you discover a different era. This traditionally built luxurious Resort is in the midst of nature on the banks of the Chaliyar River. With flowing gentle breeze, beautiful swaying groves, graceful coconut palms and glittering river, it is truly a heaven for nature lovers. One can experience high quality room facilities during your stay here, which includes television LCD/plasma screen, internet access – wireless, air conditioning, wake-up service, desk, provided to help guests recharge after a long day. The hotel also offers fantastic facilities, including fitness center, outdoor pool, spa, massage, children's playground, to help you unwind after an action-packed day in the city. Guests can enjoy palate pampering all day dining offerings at Keraleeyam, with a unique selection of a la carte menus as well as a buffet. Round-the-clock dining is also available in the comfort of your room. Garam, an al-fresco dining option specializes in grilled food, whereas Zirkon is a contemporary bar serving Cocktails and Mocktail creations. And nimble expert hands caressing your body and mind with centuries old Ayurveda treatment is heavenly. Its unique and languorous backdrop makes Raviz Kadavu Resort an ideal gateway into a tranquil ambiance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your The Raviz Resort & Spa, Kadavu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kadavu Resort & Ayurveda Hotel Kozhikode
- Kadavu Resort And Ayurveda Center
- Kadavu Hotel Kozhikode
- Kadavu Hotel Ayurveda Center
- The Raviz Resort & Spa, Kadavu Kozhikode, Kerala, India