“great food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kozhikode
Harivihar Ayurvedic Heritage Home
Manchester, United Kingdom
“great food”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I started my journey in India here and it was a very good start. Very welcoming staff, great food and lovely place to relax. Nice big clean room. Nice garden to have a stroll and sit out in. As a solo traveller I felt vvery much at ease here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank solofem77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Im a nurse working in nyc.My health and diet were poor. Also I suffered a back injury from my job. After having a ayruvedic doctor treat me via herbal massage and detox program I feel much better!
when I arrived there I was not feeling well.The doctors and staff members were incredible,attentive, and very warming.They took care of me right away. They made sure my needs were met.
I highly recommend the ayruvedic treatment and stay to anyone who's ill or wants to improve their health. The veg meals were delicious. Never tasted such meals elsewhere! Just bring plenty of bug spray!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Koreanstud
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Harivihar for two days. It was a quiet and tastefully decorated home. The staff there were friendly and very accommodating and always there to offer a variety of fresh fruits juices. The yoga lessons offered were unique and invigorating. However, we each had a separate Ayurvedic massage and mine was absolutely terrible. The female masseuses were horrible and lacked professionalism. They oiled my body but failed to apply any real pressure anywhere and then left me there while they had a private conversation. It was a very bad experience and definitely not worth the amount charged for the massage.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Tian H
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2012

It's a bit hard to find but once you do it's well worth it. The place has a focus around health. Veggie food and lots of purifying tea... Daily morning yoga classes also help clear the mind and body; personally it's not my cup of tea but my partner liked them. All in all, it's just a really nice place to relax and spend a few days.

• Stayed December 2011
6 Thank JonFromUk
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My mother (50s) and I (20s) stayed at the Harivihar Ayurvedic Heritage Home in October 2011. It was very quiet - there was only one French couple staying at the time. The heritage home itself is very elegant and beautiful, with huge gardens out the back including a nice pool. Every meal was of an excellent quality, with top-level service. My mother enjoyed the massage treatments and morning yoga sessions. Calicut is not one of Kerala's top attractions, but there were a few interesting things to do to pass a couple of days, especially since most of the time all we wanted to do was lie around reading books in the gardens. Definitely check out the local Keralan martial arts club, which Harivihar can guide you to.

The reason for ranking 'sleep quality' poor is not that there is anything wrong with the rooms, as the beds were very comfortable, but there is a temple nearby which starts loud chanting very early in the morning over a loudspeaker, and keeps it up for hours. Welcome to India!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank aust83
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 27, 2010

We came through Calicit from Allepey and en route to the hills of Wayanad. We expected to stay a night but ended up here for 3 nights. Like the other review say, it's hard to find but when we pulled in we were taken aback with the beauty of the grounds. The house is incredibly impressive: beautifully restored, architecturally intriguing. We travelled with our 9 month daughter: we had lovely pic-nics in the grounds, the staff played with our baby and generally made our stay very comfortable. We ate well (all vegetarian) and slept soundly. We were the only people there and found it a little roomy and the staff almost overly attentive. The town doesn't have a huge amount to offer and the restaurants in town were somewhat disappointing. But all in all a lovely stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Alan_family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2010

The approach to this retreat is somewhat different to what you find when you drive through the gates as the city of Calicut is busy, noisy and somewhat chaotic. However, as soon as I was through the gates, I was transported to a tranquil gem of a place. The staff were wonderful; they went out of their way for me, showed me kindness, respect and great warmth. The food was the best I've ever had and if there was to be any complaint, it'd be that there was too much food and I didn't like to think it was being wasted. I didn't have the same dish twice, apart from at breakfast and my various dietary requirements were catered for no questions asked. I was able to relax in between my treatments but wasn't able to venture that far outside the retreat due to the treatments that I was having. I didn't really warm to the city of Calicut, although got to visit the vibrant spice market and wonderfully peaceful local temple. Talking to the staff made the experience even more special and although being there by myself, I left feeling like I'd never once felt alone. If I was to go again, I'd like to see more outside of Calicut. The local temple's music woke me up every morning at 5:30am, so if you like lie ins, maybe ask for a room further away from that side!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo