“Trip to the backwaters”

Eco Trails Kerala
Ranked #1 of 1 Tours in Kottayam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Backwaters of Kerala is unique and is found nowhere else in the world. Backwaters are a network of lakes, canals and estuaries and deltas of forty-four rivers that drain into the Arabian Sea. The backwaters of Kerala are a self supporting eco-system teeming with life. The most exciting aspect of Kuttanadu is the Kettuvallam (traditional Houseboat) which has become the most popular tourism product in India today.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Excellent Service
Friendly Staff
Price was reasonable
Would highly recommend to others
Wonderful Experience overall

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We (2 couples) booked a 4 day tour of Kerala with Kence Georgey and Eco Trails Kerala after reading glowing reports submitted by other travellers...unfortunately, we were very disappointed with the tour, the lack of communication with us and the homestay experiences as there were many inconsistancies. All 3 homestay locations were specifically chosen from a list provided by Kence. Only one of the homestays was what we had selected. One homestay was actually a hotel instead - 4 stories, very remote, on a tea plantation but without any people to give us any knowledgeable info. Kence had casually told us when we met him that our choice was not available but that this one was of equal quality - it was not.
One homestay was totally the wrong one and we didn't become aware of it until we drove up to this alternative location - it did not meet our needs and it was only after we refused to stay there that arrangements were made for us to stay at our original choice. It was the Mayapott at Thekkady, a most enjoyable experience.It is a working cardamom plantation managed by 2 industrious young men, Bino and Bibi. They provided wonderful customer service with very short notice and they had not been contacted prior to this about our reservation.
The only good comment we can make about Kence's operation is our driver, Satheesh, who tried very hard to make amends for the inconsistencies in the trip. Kence never contacted us to discuss or apologise for the mistakes . He certainly must have known from his driver how frustrated we were. Therefore, we would never recommend Kence and his Eco Trails Kerala tour company to anyone.

1  Thank trippingcanucks
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Kence Gregory, the gentleman who you should deal with for all your houseboat needs in Kerala is a very good man and one who really enjoys seeing his customers get satisfaction out of his tours. Having lived and worked in Kerala for nearly 2 years now, I have helped arrange houseboat tours through Kence and EcoTrails Kerala many times now, the most recent of which was in January of 2014. Kence is always fair in his pricing and ensuring that any dietary needs (veg/non-veg) are met. His houseboats are always clean and in pristine condition.

The staff on the boat are very attentive and whip up a mad lunch (day trip) or dinner (overnight trip). Be sure to request that you stop to pick up some of the Tiger Prawns and Crabs caught fresh on the backwaters and they will prepare them in such a way that you'll be craving more after you're done.

All said, I have used Kence 7-8 times to book trips of which I have been on 6 of them. It is always a great time and I will continue to use him for all my backwater cruising needs.

3  Thank josha303
cardamomclub, Owner at Eco Trails Kerala, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Sir .. Thank you very much for our positive review about us. This will certainly help other tourists to reach us. And also I am expecting your team to vosit our place again. .. Kence Georgey

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Beautiful experience and worth it . Food was awesome with all the natural taste .We opted for day cruise and it was loads of fun . Enjoyed the natural serene and beauty of the backwaters.Rooms were clean eventhough we hardly used it . The crew was very friendly .

1  Thank jossy t
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have been on a houseboat cruise before and on that occasion waited until I got to the backwaters before finding and negotiating with a boat owner... This time I prebooked using Eco Trails/ Kence George having perused the Internet. I have to say I was a little worried before my arrival from the Ghats not knowing what to expect but everything was great. The boat exceeded my expectations and left exactly on time. I met Kence before we departed and had an enjoyable chat with him. There were only 2 boat crew the first day. The navigator responded to any request and the cook was excellent. They say two's company and three is a crowd and although out of context when the third crew member joined our cruise the next day he was far less responsive and troubled the other two crew. But overall the cruise was memorable and well worth the price. I would recommend Aqua Jumbo and Kence to any potential visitor to Kerala looking for a trouble-free houseboat cruise.