“A Magical Place”

Eco Trails Kerala
Ranked #1 of 1 Tours in Kottayam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Backwaters of Kerala is unique and is found nowhere else in the world. Backwaters are a network of lakes, canals and estuaries and deltas of forty-four rivers that drain into the Arabian Sea. The backwaters of Kerala are a self supporting eco-system teeming with life. The most exciting aspect of Kuttanadu is the Kettuvallam (traditional Houseboat) which has become the most popular tourism product in India today.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family and I have just returned from 18 days in Kerala. Purely by chance I emailed Eco Tours (Kence Gregory) who booked and arranged the first 8 days of our trip. As it was our first trip to Kerala, Kence proved to be nothing short of brilliant at suggesting things to see in the area, places to stay (guided by our budget), and, once we had decided on our itinerary, confirming everything by email promptly. The 24 hour Houseboat Backwaters trip was definitely a highlight and one that will long live in all our memories. Kence also arranged accommodation for us in Fort Cochin, Tharavadu, Thekkady and a car (with driver). As there are 7 in our family, the fact that this trip went off without a hitch and more than lived up to our expectations, was no mean feat on Kence's part. I would thoroughly recommend Eco Tours to anyone interested in visiting Kerala.

All reviews
in 58 reviews
in 90 reviews
in 19 reviews

Reviewed December 10, 2012

My friend and I organised our short 6-day trip in Kerala (and thoroughly wishing to maximise our time) through Mr Kenze Georgey, whose name and business luckily became known to be through my parents’ neighbour who knows him personally.
The highlight was our very own private, and very wonderful houseboat tour which we took from Kumarakom (rather than the typical journey from Alleppey). I would recommend thae Kumarakom start and end route for certain - less busy and chaotic.
The 3-man crew were so utterly friendly and courteous. They really looked after us well. The men were some of the best cooks, and they rivalled even the food at the 5-star Malabar House we went to on another night. We had fresh lobster caught that morning for lunch, along with 5 or 6 other dishes which were either so perfectly spiced (i.e. spicy, but not too hot - just right!), or very delicately and elegantly spiced. For dinner too, the curries were so wonderfully tasty, we both wished we could have eaten double. A true delight. The scenery was beautiful and tranquil – exactly what we wanted. The outdoor area was not shaded, but we found sitting next to the open window kept us shaded and capturing the breeze. If you like a drink in the evening, make sure you sort it out before you get onto the boat. I didn't realise this and it was hard to find something on route to have with dinner - red wine was the only offering at one of the shops - not quite what you want when it's so hot. The crew managed to obtain one bottle of beer however so that was good but I'd rather have brought something aboard for convenience sake.
For the rest of our week, we found a wonderful driver in Mr Satheesh, who was a safe driver, punctual and knew the local areas and local businesses very well. He was easy to communicate with and very friendly with a cheerful, wonderful laugh. Just be a tiny bit careful about all the places for shopping that you get taken to, don’t end up being too late for a sight unless shopping is what you want to do –we did happily buy some nice things, but we wouldn’t have done that at the expense of seeing the Jewish Synagogue, which is what happened. But we are more than happy and would wholeheartedly recommend him as a driver to other travellers.
He for example knew we had wanted to try coconut water fresh from the tree, and he therefore organised that coconuts would be available for us as our Welcome Drinks on the houseboat. A very thoughtful touch of his! And despite our initial hesitation and uncertainty, he also very much encouraged us to go on an elephant ride - we were so glad that he did! We never would have experienced that if it hadn’t been for him. A big thanks to Mr Satheesh for making our trip so thoroughly enjoyable.
I would use Eco Tours again, and would recommend the company to other travellers.
However we would recommend booking the driver and houseboat through Eco Tours, but not the hotels. We booked some hotels ourselves, and they were wonderful (and the same price as the Eco Tour hotels), but the hotels which Eco Tours booked for us were not up to Western Standards (either not clean, or very cold, very poor food). They were in pretty settings though, and nice buildings with friendly staff, so it was a good local experience.

Mrs Zelda Hansson and Miss Tanja Morson

1  Thank Tanja M
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My girlfriend and had a 2 BR houseboat to ourselves. They picked us up from our hotel and arranged a cab to our next hotel. The food and service was excellent. We loved the serenity of cruising thru the backwaters. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a houseboat rental.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This trip was just amazing - I was alone on the boat and had a wonderful trip through the backwaters. The food was very nice, the room very clean and tidy - the team very friendly. I learned a lot about the birds and the eco- system. And I enjoyed it so much - very relaxing. One should not miss this experience while being in Kerala - it is a must.