“Excellent stay and professional ayurvedic retreat!!”

Athreya Ayurvedic Centre
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Kottayam
Reviewed November 23, 2010

From reception to kitchen staff to treatment ladies... people were so nice!!! The place is so magnificent and what makes this place so special is definitely people who work there. Founded by a father of the wife who run this place, now managed by the husband who is an ayurvedic doctor. The doctor is so thoughtful and passionate about what he does... I really had a very special time there. I think the doctor's passion and dedication influence the way all the staffs work there. Treatment ladies are very well trained and work extremely hard and very attentive to my needs. Foods are sourced by the doctor's father everyday, prepared by long family friend lady, served by a very nice guy who has been there for two years.

There was a medical consultation everyday and he really cared about my well being and my goal. The treatments are at least twice daily and mostly conducted by two ladies at a time... which is very rare.

Any arrangement is possible by the reception lady and other front office staffs. My request to go on backwater in the morning was made possible by hiring a private boat guy who is a family friend of theirs, accompanied by the founder of the place (the father of the wife who runs the place) We got a personal guided tour of backwater by the father along with specially packed breakfast for the trip. My three ocklock departure was escorted by two front office staffs who especially got up at 3 in the morning and dressed just to send my luggage off. They saw me off until my car drove off from the property. Really, speechlessly nice and heart warming.

The accommodation itself is very basic and yoga classes are nothing so special but experience was so magnificent. there are many who are regulars and keep coming back every year. There are many who also come with the real symptoms to be treated in ayurvedic methods as the doctor is a real medical professional.

Highly recommended who is looking for authentic treatment and looking for laid back, local retreat. there is no other place like it!!

PS Supposedly, there are opening up #2 property in years time as the founder's son is also getting an ayurvedic medical degree in a year time. Stay tuned!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank gourmetseeker

Reviewed October 26, 2010

It is not the first time we did visit The Athreya. The treatements are excellent and the staff is very friendly and helpfull. Thanks to the whole Athreya team for the good time we have spent here. We will come again!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank ewalisa
Reviewed October 23, 2010

I stayed for two weeks in September, toward the end of the rainy season. The Ayurveda treatments were very relaxing, the staff extremely friendly and the rooms clean and quiet. This is a place for someone trying to get away from a pressured life. The doctors at the Athreya are extremely attentive and customize the treatments to fit the needs of their clients. Here, the emphasis is on the treatments and trying to improve the guests' health. But there are plenty of options for shopping and treatments to keep things interesting.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank pathfinder111
Reviewed October 2, 2010

I began my year in Athreya with a wonderfull ayurvedic treatment. Since we arrived we received the best atention, really serious treatments with profesional people.
Dr. Sreejit is a great doctor and a great person, he was atending us personaly and everyone in the resort make us have a really beautifull experience. I definitely will go again as soon as I have the chance.
If anyone is looking for a deep ayurvedic health treatment don´t hesitate to contact them, I saw amazing recoverings of many deseases, and Im sure that the love and kind that they give to all the patients with the good medication makes Athreya one of the bests ayurvedic centers in the world.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sietelunas2017
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Very friendly and welcoming .clean with essential facility. Good treatment. Great Treatment and great experience.

• Stayed: February 2010
5  Thank Paz_10_10
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I start this year staying at this wonderful place, since the beginning when we called to make our reservation everything was wonderful dr. sreejit attended us personally and i have to mention when we arrived all the people were absolutely charming and let us feel like we were at home, besides the really professional work in health, healing treatments, and the incredible food I have no words to express how wonderful time we had. For me is one of my greatest souvenirs of India.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank ben150798
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Arriving at Athreya I got such a warm and personal welcome I never noticed in the world before - and beleive me I´m travelling lots. Room was furnished standardly besides the bed and mosquito-net - which was not really necessary in June - there was a nice mirror cabinet on which were fresh flowers placed, table and chairs, wonderful curtains and some nice pictures on the wall. The flowers got changed daily - that was really nice. Room was really clean, which was an important issue for me. Most I enjoyed the big terrace outside my room - was even able to sit out when it was raining - was there in rainy season. Staff helped to make our stay as pleasant as possible - great support - showed us also walking trails, etc.
Had my first experience there with Ayurveda Medicine. Was surprised how seriously everything was taken. Here in Europe a doctor hardly spends that much time to talk to a patient in order to get to know everything. At Athreya that was totally different my first meeting with the doctor started out with daily habits and ended with my medical history. Dr. Sreejit was (is) very serious about what he was doing - listened to every single comment of his clients in order to plan the best therapy. Were not seen as numbers as it is said to be done in some other tourist places - we were really taken care very well. At Athreya they do lots to keep up traditional Ayurveda. There is no standard for everyone. The whole variety of ayurvedic medicine is practiced there. Treatments were explained or a short video was shown prior taken to them. Had a morning and afternoon session. Had the pleasure to enjoy different massages from loke simple oil massage, abyhanga, herbal massage, udvartana, and my most favorite one the siro dhara. Therapists did their best - also in ways in communication - in case of a language problem someone was there to assist. Men were treated by men & women were treated by women only. Expect to get there traditional ayurveda - you have to get some rest after the treatments, shouldn´t talk inbetween. Besides the therapies herbal medicines were given several times a day. Some medicines tasted very bitter. Medicines were freshly made from the herbal garden.
Didn´t get a plan for the whole time - treatments were adjusted to the reaction of the body. Plan was given for approx. 3 - 4 days.
At the beginning I thought how will I survive on vegetarian diet - was surprised how tasty that was. Due to restrictions and healthy reasons not everyone got the same diet. For breakfast typical Keralan food was prepared - so it was repeated approx. every week - some dishes are liked more some less. Said overall great variety, freshly cooked.
At the time I was there we were a great mixture of people all over the world. Once at breakfast we asked if it would be possible to rearrange the tables in order that all of us could sit together on a big table - at lunchtime tables were already rearranged. If there was a day you didn´t want your meals at the restaurant everything was brought to your room.
Don´t expect a luxurious place but expect a quiet and comfortable one where you can perfectly recharge your batteries. People there are great, all of them are doing a nice job. Place is fantastic to calm down, observe the nature - enjoy the calmness. Can do some nice walks from the resort. Everything is done there to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
8  Thank Saeb27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kottayam
Carnoustie Ayurveda & Wellness Resort
#4 of 26 in Kumarakom
The Zuri Kumarakom
The Zuri Kumarakom
#6 of 26 in Kumarakom

Been to Athreya Ayurvedic Centre? Share your experiences!