“Thanks Athreya”

Athreya Ayurvedic Centre
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Kottayam
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We, (my wife and I), had been to Athreya for the Ayurveda treatment for three weeks in Nov.-Dec. 2013, and our stay was very successful.
I (69+) had been a bit unlucky fellow with some fractures and operations, which had affected my health and mobility. Therefore, I was looking for a traditional Ayurveda resort to get “tridosha” treatment, which takes into consideration an individual as a whole (and not a particular cause). Luckily, we found Athreya where the traditional methods are being practiced since five generations.
Our treatment started on the same day we arrived. We had a detailed consultation with Dr. Sreejit and his wife Dr. Jayalakshmi. Thanks to their experience and expertise, the diagnosis was so accurate that the road-map for the treatment did not require to be changed over the entire period. Along with Panchakarma, Shirodhara and Abhyanga (the body massage), I was prescribed also abdomen massage for the stomach disorder. Since I had undergone a hernia operation, I was sceptical initially. Fortunately, it was for the skill of therapists, and in particular that of Mr. Sanoop, that all my reservations turned out to be ungrounded. In fact, the therapists were very careful and also caretaking. Today I have practically no hard fat patches in my abdomen, my muscles are soft and my joints are more flexible. To be frank, at my senior age I was not expecting such changes. However, thanks to the daily consultations with Dr. Sreejit and Dr. Jayalakshmi and their prescriptions, and to the efforts of the therapists, today I am feeling better. I have lost some overweight, my blood pressure has been normalized and I have regained my mobility. Insofar, the treatment was a success.
We enjoyed our stay at Athreya. All staff members were very helpful and polite. The vegetable meals were excellent and the surrounding was beautiful. Here we had time for a pause and for self-absorption. We have just now returned, but are already thinking on our next trip to Athreya!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

The place is very quiet and beautifully embedded in the environment.
We felt right at the beginning very well. It was our first Ayurveda and the friendliness and competence was very good. The whole team of the Dokorten and therapist was great. The treatments are very effective and we saw the surprise effect at the end of 10 days. We opted for the non-spa treatment, so we saw a lot of experience in all levels, body, mind and soul.
I can only advise all who really want to work on themselves and health.

just great !!!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

It was my first Ayurveda experience as a treatment not as a wellness offer like Shirodhara. The expectations therefore were very high. But at the end of 10 days I was surprised by the efficiency and the effects of the treatments. Even as one of the youngest and healthiest clients I could feel and see a big difference. It helped me a lot in rejuvenating, healing on all levels and relaxing.
I highly recommend it to all interested people who are ready to suffer a bit because its not just only nice and comfortable treatments. Sometimes it can also hurt and one has to know how to cope with the pain.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was my second visit to Athreya Ayurvedic Resort , it was indeed a pleasant stay throughout my 7 days. The hospitality given by the doctors, staffs and all the therapist's was really wonderful. The atmosphere as usual was great. Professionalism and the patience shown by the Doctor's and the therapist was remarkable. I feel great after my treatment. In my point of view it's really a best place for healing and relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the greenery will be the best choice, 101 or 108.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We arrived in December 2013, a family of three. The package includes everything: accommodation, meals, treatment, airport pick-up, which is very convenient and the prices are quite reasonable. The cottages are cosy and clean, at your wish the room can be cleaned up and the bed linen and towels changed as often as you please, up to several times a day. You just have to make phone call. Every couple of cottages have a dedicated housekeeper who will be happy to run any small errands for you: arrange for washing of your clothes, bring extra toiletries, medicated or plain water, fruits or honey from the kitchen, etc.
There is not much in the way of furniture and you really do not need a big closet, as all the clothes you need are shorts and T-shirts or loose and cosy cotton dresses and slippers, as the temperature in December was between 25 and 30 C - a real paradise in the middle of rice fields as far as an eye can see. Do not forget to bring extra clean slippers to use in the treatment area, as outside shoes shall be left outside to keep the place clean. Also bring along simple cheap cotton clothes, as the stuff you will wear after treatment will get oily from the heavily oiled massage and it is a shame to wash this medicated oil right away, when you can have it get soaked under your skin and make it smooth and young.
Food is very good but spicy but you can always ask the obliging kitchen staff to provide you with raw fresh vegetables to mix with spicy meals.
Treatment staff is well trained and very nice. Treatment is strictly segregated with respectively male and female therapists and separate buildings for both sexes.
Special praise shall be said for the doctor Sreejit and his colleague and wife Dr. Jaya Lakshmi who work round the clock and are always happy to oblige with any requests, even outside of their direct responsibilites, such as advice on shopping or Indian culture and habits.
Yoga instructor is an adorable man in mid-sixties - a vivid illustration that you can keep your body flexible and pliable at late age if you do proper sports. he also lectures on yoga and its principles, such as meditation.
Reception is also very nice and ready to book you a taxi and a tour of the nearby villages.
In brief, we have been to two ayurvedic treatement places before, both outside of India and only in India realized that what is sold abroad is ayurvedic spa set - a selection of nice procedures. Here is real medicine - with first three difficult days, inlcuding unpleasant treatments and porridge boiled with nothing but water. Nicer staff begins later. There are rewards, though - my husband never had his blood pressure below 150 by 100 for the past twenty years, taken he takes a anti-hypertension pill very day. In Athreya he stopped taking his medication and 5 days later the pressure stabilized at 120 by 80. I had cracks on my hands gone. And who knosws what else has improved in our bodies, but the minds definetely had two weeks of peaceful leasure. If you are ready to invest into your health and pay a little price of tolerating the first three days, Athreya is the best place for you!

Room Tip: The Athreya offers two sets of accommodation: a big room with a bathroom in a two storey building wi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rena S
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Why does a good massage leave you feeling like a million dollars? Well, of course I have a theory about this which is that the massage loosens up the points on your body that have become stuck and stagnant.

This is the basic theory of Ayurvedic medicine. When someone is ill, it is because the energy is not freely flowing throughout our bodies. This form of medicine has thousands of years of practice and techniques in identifying where the blockage is located and freeing it.

Do you ever feel sleepy after eating a big Tex Mex dinner? I certainly do, and my body has gotten to the point that I feel sleepy after eating almost anything. Usually I just power through it, but my body is trying to tell me something.

On our first day here, we met with the doctor who quickly diagnosed a blockage in my stomach and intestinal area. So he prescribed a course of treatment that involved deep massage from my ribcage down to just below my navel every morning at 7:30. This was not pleasant - that area quickly became tender.

There are other treatment modalities involving forced purging. The descriptions of these are not suitable for a family Dispatch. I’ll just note that we have spent a lot of our time here feeling very toxic because so much old stuff is shaking loose.

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking the rice paddies - Mosquitos!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stanpeyton
Reviewed December 26, 2013

You get your money's worth in Ayurvedic treatments with a highly skilled team of doctors overseeing your treatment plans daily. This is the 'real thing' if you want a true Ayurvedic Pancha Karma program. Additionally the food is great and the housing is comfortable, with many units overlooking a rice paddy and plenty of birds. I am still in the middle of treatment, but I know I will continue to reap the benefits of this deeply healing program I have been doing for the rest of the year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rice paddies.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kottayam
Carnoustie Ayurveda & Wellness Resort
#4 of 26 in Kumarakom
The Zuri Kumarakom
The Zuri Kumarakom
#6 of 26 in Kumarakom

Been to Athreya Ayurvedic Centre? Share your experiences!