“The Pure Ayurveda”

Athreya Ayurvedic Centre
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Kottayam
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I am not a newcomer when it is about Ayurvedic treatments and I have been doing panchakarma since 2007 in different ayurvedic centers in India, so planning my next trip I was very attentive to the details mostly related to the medical procedure and spirit of the place overall. My basic needs were to have the real auyrveda (not “ayurvedic spa” ), including a special diet, excessive treatments while having advanced yoga class and authentic surroundings reasonably blended with comfort &convenient accommodation.

The first advantage of the Athreya is that I got professional opinion and detailed prognoses of my treating doctor, Dr. Sreejit, on my health status and desirable results of the treatments long before arrival to the resort. His approach is based on deep evaluation of the medical history and current compliance of a client through live Skype conversations and analysis of the special medical form you will be asked to fill in before your trip actually begins. His personal care and attention helps to establish trustful and efficient communication that is one of the key factors in ayurvedic medicine since it provides you with your personal customized treating plan which starts performing right on the first day upon arrival.

The second very important advantage of the treatment process is that the number of prescribed treatments are not limited by given packages but depends on the body’s respond to the treatments. Besides, all ayurvedic medicines you are given while and after the course are produced at the own pharmacy and proven by long-time experimental usage since their precipices passed from generation to generation of the family of auyrvedic doctors who established and run the resort.

Comfortable and peaceful environment of the place, family-like attitude to every guest, caring and hospitable staff along with high-professional treatments brought excellent result and definitely will make me come back to the Athreya over and over again!

For everybody who is seeking for the real Ayurveda, the Athreya is the best place ever under perfectly balanced Price-Results conditions.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally comfortable with the only difference if you prefer to have A/C or not. in case...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 26, 2013

It was our first visit to any Ayurvedic Retreat Centre for my husband and myself. It was a really good experience because of the feelings that we have there.

We found an atmosphere of peace and quiet in a privileged environment, the attention of the staff and doctors were very good. The therapists are very professional. Very healthy food but little variety.
In summary, a highly recommended resort because of relaxation as well as the medical treatments provided.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Very interesting experience as this was a first visit to any Ayurvedic Retreat Centre for my husband and myself. The environment was pleasant, calm and quite. The staff were very friendly, professional and supportive. We felt at home. The vegetarian foods were superb.

Both Dr. Sreejit and Dr. Jayalakshmi are excellent Doctor and human being. Very friendly and approachable. We would like to visit this centre in near future.

Room Tip: Room facing paddy field are better!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mk512013
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Athreya in December/ January 2013 for 11 nights. I really enjoyed my time at Athreya. The food was amazing, so tasty and nutritious I was lucky to take home some of the recipes. The accommodation was nice with a spacious room comfortable bed and verandah overlooking the rice paddies which was a great spot for relaxing and reading.
The treatments were very different from what I have ever experienced, but great!! I also loved the morning Yoga sessions, it was a great way to start the day.
By the end of our stay my symptoms were almost gone.
I would love to return to Athreya in the near future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lara12345678
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I along with my friends were in Kerala last year when we had the opportunity to visit Athreya Ayurvedic Resort; it was raining that day and we rushed in to the resort only to be halted by the view of the Lord Hanumana statue, what a welcome; then of course the generous people of the resort, who helped us also adjusting with our language. then we got such beautiful cottages to stay,. exploring the resort we enjoyed the Ayurvedic treatments, dances,,fights etc. we were amid natural beauty; the next day we went for backwaters , beautiful boats. then the shopping, the delicious meals at the resort, where we liked the fishes the most. the environment of the resort was such beautiful- the heritage, the natural beauty. it's worth mentioning that the people there were so nice- experienced doctors, skilled workers and all other co-operative staff. next time we go to Kerala, we'll surely visit Athreya Resort again; thank you Athreya for the pleasant stay-

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I feel amazingly rejuvenated after my 3-week stay in the Athreya resort. I was especially very impressed at the high quality of health care there. All the doctors taking care of us are highly qualified and experienced physicians.
But, especially doctor Sreejit - despite his nearly shocking youth:) - possesses amazing empathetic skills and nearly supernatural understanding of his patient's problems which makes him so different from any other doctors I have met so far and I am convinced that his deep insight contributes to so many very successful treatments/healings in Athreya.

Well, definitely my many burn-out symptoms nearly fully disappeared after the short time spent in Athreya and I can sleep again!

The accommodation in Athrey is all to be wished for when one is in need of a pleasant, peaceful and relaxing space sometimes very necessary inbetween very deep going treatments.
The cotttages are very comfortable, separate, and each of the patients is independent, yet one is close enough to keep human contact with other human beings, if one is interested and feels like it.
Otherwise room service is always available in case some more solitude is needed.

The cottages and the whole resort are impeccably clean.
The Athreya staff in general was always ready to help and assist us in any way we desired.

Personally, I was a bit worried before coming to India because of the safety situation concerning women in general. In Athreya though I must happily admit I felt very safe indeed! The whole resort is surrounded by a wall and also partially divided by a small river from the rest of the surroundings. The gate closes every night and doors in all the cottages can be securelly locked at any time.
Also, Kottayam as the most nearby town felt quite safe for an alone travelling female and it also surprised me by its cleanliness and lack of unpleasant smell which was so much part of my previous journey in (northern) India.

All in all, my experience in Athreya to be repeated as soon as possible again:))

Room Tip: All rooms have their advantages: for example number 106 has access to the internet but 105 next to i...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kamaradka M
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The Athreya Ayurvedic Resort offers a unique ambience of relaxation and medical expertise. Although I had a short treatment of only eight days, I could see its incredible benefits. My mind was calmed, I lost one size and in general my body felt relaxed and lighter. The atmosphere of the resort, isolated from noise and pollution, the kindness of the staff members, the healthy food and the daily visits of Dr. Sreejit, ensures that you receive a tailor made treatment depending on your daily needs. All this is complemented with the yoga lessons taught by Mr. Gopalakrishnan, who really makes you enjoy yoga and meditation. As a follower of Hinduism, I had the opportunity to attend a Puja (traditional Hindu preying ceremony) which was a rewarding experience which gave me an insight of Kerala’s Hinduism. A few years ago now I have had another ayurvedic treatment in Goa, but I have to say that in Athreya I could see real results in a very short period of time. If you are looking for an ayurvedic treatment, I surely recommend Athreya. I hope to go next year for a longer period.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Canopy2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kottayam
Carnoustie Ayurveda & Wellness Resort
#4 of 26 in Kumarakom
The Zuri Kumarakom
The Zuri Kumarakom
#6 of 26 in Kumarakom

Been to Athreya Ayurvedic Centre? Share your experiences!