“Wonderful experience at Athreya” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Athreya Ayurvedic Centre

Athreya Ayurvedic Centre
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Kottayam
Mumbai
“Wonderful experience at Athreya”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had been to this resort, after examining the facilities at this place from many sites, mostly Trip Adviser. The doctors promised certain results which were actually delivered. I felt light, more active, My Migraine has gone and frozen shoulder better, (not fully gone, mainly I think because I stayed only for 10 days, three weeks would have been better). My wife and mother in law was there and also liked the place. What I like most was that there was hardly any deviation from tradition and it was not an "attract tourists at any cost" type of hotel. The food was strictly traditional, wholesome and light on the stomach. It was designed as per individual patients body requirement. The treatment was based on individual requirements, massage tough, and it certainly loosened the hardened fat in my stomach. After two month today I have lost a couple of inches in my tummy. The rooms were neatly maintained. Yoga was an option, which I did not use. A small library is there. WiFi near the office. It will be a good idea to extend it to rooms. Yes, a swimming pool would have completed the heavenly atmosphere. I thank Dr. Sreejit and Dr. Jayalakshmi for this fine experience. And ofcorse all the staff!

Room Tip: Please try to get a room closer to office in case you want to use wi fi in your room. Consult the do...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank echyess
AthreyaResort, Owner at Athreya Ayurvedic Centre, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear sir

On behalf of Athreya management we thank you immensely for your effort and time to post a comment

after your departure , we were happy to find clients visiting AThreya 4th time and 5th time
your feedbacks helped us to serve them better than last time

once again we are committed to more better professional service in a personal touch we shall improve ourselves more and more and this year

Team AThreya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Turkish first
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

The resort is divine, it made me feel light, relaxed and quite a bit chilled from my usual humdrum. Having arrived with some issues, most of them were kissed good bye after 5 weeks of being treated. It offers speck and span rooms and bathrooms. Food is healthy and ayurveda approved. Indeed, the holistic experience is what makes the experience worthwhile. Never have, I ever heard so many different types of birds chirping at the same time. It is noisy, but in a sublime, eco friendly manner which can make the faint hearted purr.

Dr. Sreejit and Dr. Jayalakshmi are precious humans and wonderful doctors. They listen and understand the needs of their patients with great details. Never are they exhausted by the multiple questions which are asked on a regular basis. They are knowledgeable about ayurvedic medicine, but also spirituality and western medicine amongst other subjects of health care. Neither are they hesitant to prescribe non ayurvedic treatment if the need arises. I was taken care of with warmth and friendliness, which I appreciated very much. The therapists were equally caring towards the needs of the guests and they knew exactly what they were doing. The service staff were so friendly, I felt at home amidst them. The people and their service and their accompanying make Athreya comfortable.

The only negative comment is about the men's treatment rooms which need severe revamping. The infrastructure needs to be westernised, hygiene maybe looked at carefully and the lingering smells need to be neutralised, if not aromatherapised. However, even at the current state the treatment rooms function to relieve ailments for almost anyone who spends time in there detoxing.

Athreays is blissful divine and I would return in a heartbeat. However, if you are looking for a spiritual experience imbibing yoga, meditation and a spa to relax you completely you may not consider Athreya. It is a medical resort and your problems can be well relieved. They work very hard to meet your health expectations.

Room Tip: If you want wifi in your room, 101, 102 and 106 are the rooms you may want to look at. If you want a...
1 Thank saaduquasem

your feedbacks helped us to serve them better than last time

the yoga teacher has been changed a month ago itself and we are finding higher satisfaction level on this area regarding yoga

Vail, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had the pleasure of being a guest of Dr. Sreejith and Dr. Jayalakshmi in their little slice of paradise in the south of India. I have travelled numerous times to other parts of India and I must say Kerala has a whole different feel to it. The lush vegitation, greenery and the miles of rice patties was a treat to ones' senses!

I was greeted by an exceptional staff and immediately felt welcomed to Athreya!
I can't say enough about Dr. Sreejith and Dr. Jayalakshmi as they are quite a team and went right to work at making my wish list come true.
Dr. Sreejith is an amazing person who has a wealth of knowledge as well as a true concern for his patients. It was the norm to see either one of the Doctors almost every day ensuring that I was comfortable and checking in on the status of my treatments.

Ayurvedic medicine and healing is a little outside the box for us westerners but I found that these specialized techniques were extremely beneficial and it seemed that within a few days of my arrival, the healing had begun!

I enjoyed the grounds and the friendly atmosphere that was so prevalent at Athreya, almost contagious which made for an even more enjoyable experience.
If you are into morning, afternoon or evening walks, it is delightful to take an hour walk around the rice paddies.
Interestingly enough, I found that my days were relatively full and by the time evening rolled around, bed looked pretty good. I would say that you have an option to do more or less at the resort, whatever suits your desire.

I found the food delicious and you can count on a home cooked meal by Mama and Jiby who worked all day to satisfy your palate! I highly recommend the sweet rice balls for breakfast!

If you are a yoga enthusiast, you may want to check in to see if there is a proper yoga instructor in line as this was changing during my last week of my stay.

All in all, my Athreya experience was wonderful! The treatments, the food, the grounds and most importantly the people made my trip worthwhile!!!

I would recommend the resort to anyone who is looking for an alternative to western medicine.
Be sure to leave your western ideas at the doorstep and take a leap into the wonderful world of ayurvedic healing!

Room Tip: Ensure that your room has a good internet connection if that is important to you. A view of the rice...
2 Thank ginainvail M
Dear madam

Port Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My stay of 2 weeks at Athreya was a unique experience never lived before, I was not ill but went there for a break from my everyday hectic life. The location of Athreya itself is very remote and is partly surrounded by paddy fields. There are lots of wild birds and back waters. All these make it a peaceful place to stay. The detox treatment was beneficial to my mind and body. I felt completely renewed and relax. When I left the place i felt like a a new person ready to face life with a new mindset and full of energy. Dr. Sreejit, Dr Jayalaskmi and their team of therapists as well as the other staffs were very welcoming and sympathetic. They make you feel at ease and were very attentive to my concerns,fears and queries. Though the room had very basic facilities, it was very clean. I liked the food ( south indian vegetarian food) very much though there was not very much variety in the dishes offered. . Besides the treatment , there was not much activities that could be done at the resort. Yoga classes offered twice a day, in the morning and afternoon were very appreciated and useful. The village people living close to the resort were nice and friendly. I strongly recommend Athreya to those who want to experience something different from modern life.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sharm03
Dear madam

Port Jervis, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

OK, that's a bit of hyperbole. But not much. I've been increasingly fatigued and in pain for several years. A -fib, carpel tunnel, sleep apnea, shooting pain in shoulders and hips, ever less mobility and flexibility. For one who used to ski, ride, etc life had become frustrating and joyless. My docs were sympathetic but meds had a limit and they tended to conclude that I was unreasonably ignoring the limits of age (70).
I like to travel and resolved to get some good trips in while I could still manage the effort. India was on my list and I was also dimly aware that Ayurvedic medicine was reputed to sometimes accomplish results that western medicine could not. Online I located Athreya and, after a US to India telephone consult with Dr. S, decided to start my five week trip with ten days at Athreya.
Dr. S. said that he could do nothing for the A-fib but felt confident treatment at Athreya could lessen pain, reduce carpel tunnel symptoms, improve my flexibility, mobility and energy level and get me feeling less fragile.
All of this came to pass in ten days,
First three days were a detox period with herbal water baths and very ight massage 2x/day. Food is South Indian vegan. Only boiled infused water and gooseberry juice to drink. No coffee, tea, soda. Voluntary yoga classes at 7 am and 5:30 pm. Local hikes possible and half day trips could be arranged for a backwater cruise or a beach. My room had a tv and there was broadband reception near the administration building. But otherwisemtherenwas nothing to do. Athreya is not a typical resort. No music, no bar, no pool, tennis or whatever. Just peace, quiet and treatment by the side of some huge rice paddies. Rooms are in Kerala fashion, plain but comfortable. Hand spray shower but no hot water. Western toilet. My room had a fan and AC but others had only fans. Grounds are very pretty.
When I got there I had to be helped on and off the waist high treatment tables. By day six I was hopping on and off unassisted. Rolling over in my sleep no longer caused unpredictable, sleep shattering, shooting pains. I was able to walk a couple of miles (pauses along the way, but still great for me).
There were some mosquito problems but they never bothered me preferring the women who were there apparently. Athreya do what they can with mosquito coils and smoke but they are reluctant to use possibly more effective - bit more toxic- chemicals. I never had a mosquito in my room so what they did worked sufficiently for me. All staff members were unceasingly polite and helpful and went out of there way t address and accommodate their guests wishes and needs. Athreya has a government green leaf rating, the highest issued to an Ayurvedic facility.

I left after ten days in good shape for the rest of my tour and, hopefully, for future years of life.
Finally, the cost is very reasonable for what one gets. In my case about USD $ 115/day for private r oom, all meals, treatment, yoga, etc. Additional modest cost for herbal medicines that are prescribed for each individual case add a bit, but not much.

Room Tip: Pay more and get a rice paddy view. Request an air conditionrf room, in late Feb THR temperatures we...
2 Thank rider0109

Bengaluru, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have had a "mystery" chronic illness for many years and finally got the courage to leave the US and seek holistic treatment. I had been in communication with this doctor for several months before arriving and told them I did not want to sign up for treatment until I came there and met the doctor himself and saw the facility.

I made arrangements to meet the doctor whose schedule was very difficult as he was frequently not at the resort (traveling for conferences etc). In my emails with him, I heard negative undertones but read so many great reviews I had to see this place myself.

The morning I was supposed to arrive, the doctor emailed me he was only available in the "pre-noon" session. That morning, I got very sick and spent the morning vomitting. I emailed him and also called the center to confirm I could still come and a doctor would be there which I was assured of.

On my way to the facility, the doctor responded to my email with an email entitled "hopeless". There was no sympathy for what I had just gone through and said if I even wanted to speak with him, I would need to wait until 7pm. The words were very hurtful since I went through so much to get there and was so excited to meet him.

I went anyways to the center to see it and while I was waiting in the lobby, there were mosquitoes and fleas biting me. The climate was extremely hot and I didn't even feel like moving from the shade. It was clear this was not the right place/location for me and I would advise others with chronic, serious condition to think twice.

Facilities looked nice but felt pretty empty and isolated.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank SkyAvin
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

my son and I visited athreya in the month of dec.we stayed for two weeks.i went there as a patient and my son anand tagged along.my son spent his time with books and yoga.
its been nearly 3 months since I got back from this amazing place,but I am still enjoying the effects of my stay there.i opted for the detoxification package
the beauty of this place is its very traditional approach .very peaceful place.
DR Sreejit and DR Jayalakshmi were excellent and extremely professional.
I had consultation twice a day and any little concern the patient has is taken seriously by DR Sreejit.The depth of knowledge he has in Ayurveda is amazing and the intricate care he gives to his patient is beyond world class.
the highly skilled therapist will always greet with a smile,
the food was delicious and nourishing.
I hope to be back this year.

DR Kalai Tanggaveloo
Anaesthetist
Canberra

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kalai87
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kottayam
Carnoustie Ayurveda & Wellness Resort
The Zuri Kumarakom
#6 of 26 in Kumarakom
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,326 reviews
Vasundhara Sarovar Premiere

Been to Athreya Ayurvedic Centre? Share your experiences!