“A taste of real Indian Cooking without the heat”
Review of Nimmy & Paul

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kochi (Cochin)
Nimmy & Paul
Ranked #233 of 430 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Droitwich Spa Worcs
“A taste of real Indian Cooking without the heat”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stopped off for a meal and a cookery demonstration at Nimmy & Paul's beginning of November while on our tour of India. A fantastic experience an excellent meal and a very informative cookery demonstration of some of the courses we had been served. A really homely welcome was made and a real taste of Indian cooking with out the ''heat'' was served.
Well worth a visit was a real highlight of our tour.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MalViDroitwichWorcs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My friend and I stayed at Nimmy and Paul's for slightly less than 24 hours, and never wanted to leave! We initially read about Nimmy and Paul's on Trip Advisor, and since we love Indian food and wanted to learn how to cook these delicious meals, it seemed like the perfect choice and we were not disappointed in the least. Nimmy gave us a mini cookbook and taught us simple ways to create these gourmet-tasting traditional South Indian dishes - some of the best Indian food we've had since arriving in India. She amended our cooking lessons to include specific dishes that we told her we wanted to learn to cook.

From the moment we walked in the front door, the hospitality was impeccable. Both Nimmy and Paul seemed to know what we wanted/needed even before we knew. We are students who had been traveling in India for the past two months and Nimmy insisted on washing all of our clothes, since we had been washing them by hand since we arrived in India. We came back to our room later that day to find our fresh laundry folded on our bed - truly a nice surprise. Nimmy also knew that we would be taking a long, overnight bus ride when we left their house, and arranged for us to have an early dinner and then packed more food for us to take on the bus in case we got hungry. My friend and I were amazed at their kindness and generosity, and agreed that it was the most "at home" we have felt since arriving in India.

I am now confident in my ability to whip up some of the relatively simple but delectable South Indian dishes, and can't wait to cook them for my friends and family when I get home! Our stay with Nimmy and Paul has been one of the absolute highlights of our trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Georgica13
Grinnell, Iowa
Reviewed April 17, 2011

My friend and I stayed with Nimmy and Paul one night, had a private cooking lesson, and ate great food at every meal. Their house and garden are beautiful, our room was air conditioned, and Nimmy teaches out in a little demonstration kitchen set up in the shade looking out at the garden. She showed us how to make simpler dishes so that we would be more likely to make them back at home, but they were delicious. The class wasn't hands-on, but that ended up being just fine, especially since there were only two of us with her: she made sure that we watched closely and understood things like changes in texture.

Nimmy and Paul also gave us tips on where to go to buy spices and tins (I wanted a tiffin carrier!), and we had fun shopping. They were also helpful in coordinating with a local music teacher so that we were able to do the singing, cooking and shopping all in one day. Whew!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank moontravelbean
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We arrived in Cochin on the 18th of January on the Silversea Silver Wind. We had seen that this was an excursion offered by Silversea and did some research on Nimmy & Paul via the internet well in advance and noticed that they could be booked directly which we did. We were a party of 6 (5 great cooks, and me) and Paul was very prompt in his replies to our email inquiries. He was even kind enough to arrange a taxi for us for the day which we paid directly to the driver however Paul made sure we got superior quality at a reasonable price. Our research paid off and we were able to secure NImmy & Paul's services for the full day at a significant savings from the ship price. (We prefer to book our tours directly rather than through the ship to be able to customize our days to suit us and the price is always more reasonable)
When we arrived at about 11 in the morning Nimmy & Paul were both there to greet us and welcomed us into their beautiful home. We had a short chat and then it was off to work in the lovely back yard which doubles as an outdoor kitchen/instruction area. It was a warm day and they both made sure that the fans were directed towards us and we were comfortable. We had a demonstration for about 5 dishes and then we sat down to have a wonderful lunch. During the morning instruction Nimmy endured many questions about spices, technique, and pots. Nimmy was assisted in her prep work by Baby, who was wonderful. Baby did not speak, however always had a smile, adding to the pleasant day. After lunch, NImmy and Paul found out from us where we wanted to tour and what items we wanted to buy and instructed the taxi driver where to take us. We saw the most popular tourist areas and purchased spices and pots. Nimmy and Paul did not accompany us as a previous poster has suggested. We then were taken back to Nimmy & Paul's to have a beautiful dinner. Because Nimmy had to receive the tour from our ship, she was not able to spend time with us, however Paul and their son Joseph did sit with us as we ate and were terrific company. After dinner, Nimmy did come to say goodbye, and sent us off to the Broadway Market to buy some more pots. Our taxi then took us back to the ship.

In short, Nimmy, Paul and Baby were wonderful people and accomodated our many requests. I would not hesitate to recommend Nimmy & Paul for a day of cooking to anyone who has an interest in Kerala cookery. Their home was spotless, comfortable, and quiet and the yard was beautifully maintained. We have already recommended them to travellers and would not hesitate to send anyone there way.

All of our group are fairly well travelled and this was truly one of the best days we have ever arranged.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank imlostagain
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2011

We enjoyed our morning with Nimmy who is a wonderful teacher and charming hostess. My husband and I cooked in the garden with Nimmy and when she found out that it was my husband's birthday - a special dessert was prepared for him. It was so special to spend some time with Nimmy and Paul in their beautiful home and to share a meal with them at the end of cooking Thank you both for a wonderful experience

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed February 18, 2011

This was to be the hilight of my cruise with Silverseas our cookery course in Cochin, we were shoved in the garden because she had spent all day with her other guest, no hands on just a very tired demonstration, the food was tastless. On asking her about different herbs & spices, she was very vague didnt seem to know the diferent types of chillis, she used fresh tamerind which I said we couldnt get but we could get tamarind past, she said it was not the same!! on returning to our boat, we complained as this was desgracefull at 199 us dollars

Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank cherylq
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 17, 2010

I spent two days with Nimmy Paul in September 2010. Those two days were undoubtedly one of the highlights of my trip to India.

Nimmy is a fantastic teacher. She did a very thorough job of asking what specifically I wanted to learn and for what purpose, for what audience, etc., so that she could suggest the recipes that were most appropriate to what I wanted to learn. I've taken cooking courses around the world and at culinary schools, and Nimmy is at the tops.

Nimmy and Paul have a beautiful welcoming home, and all of the cooking takes place in her kitchen. This is a rare opportunity to be in a family's kitchen, you can see how Nimmy stores her spices, all of the different cookware she uses, etc. Nimmy explained all of her cooking techniques and why she did what she did, and was very patient in answering my many questions. I learned so many great recipes and techniques that I will be able to recreate at home. Everything she made was delicious. One of my favorite things was learning how to make coconut milk from the fresh coconuts they have growing in their yard.

Nimmy's husband Paul was a great resource and took us out for shopping. He took us to an incredible meat, fish and fruit/veg market that I would never have found as a tourist. He also took us to the appropriate stores where I could buy the various ingredients and cookware that I wanted. Having someone who was local to the area guide me around was priceless.

If you are interested in learning more about the cuisine of Kerala - look no further!!!! Anyone would be very fortunate to meet and learn from Nimmy Paul.

• Stayed September 2010