“Good but not that great”
Review of Raintree Lodge

and 1 more site!
Raintree Lodge
Ranked #46 of 214 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Amazingly clean place with decent rooms...however during my stay on 17tg feb I was not given the rooms on first floor which I was promised...they dont serve anything and that was a negative...but the rooms were still nice with good ambience

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We picked this hotel from its description in the guide books. Taking a tuk-tuk there from the ferry terminal, the driver was telling us of other hotels that had the same facilities at half the price. We declined his offer, thinking that he was just drumming up trade for other family members. In retrospect we should at least have looked. Don't get me wrong, the Raintree Lodge is a very nice place - friendly, clean, quiet and tastefully decorated (except perhaps for the bust in a niche in the room which looked just like Homer Simpson), but we felt that the fact that they have listings in Rough Guide and Lonely Planet gave them licence to bump up the prices (about 2500/- per room per night without breakfast).
Overall this is a fine place to stay, but a little overpriced.

1  Thank Alan E
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Our tour operator recommended this place to us, and we were very happy with it. It is slightly out of the way, particularly when walking back at night, but we had no problems with that location and would recommend it. In fact it is a quiet location and that offsets any negativity to the walking back at night.The people running the placed were very friendly and cooperative. Our room was very nice, spacious, clean, and all we could hope for.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights towards the end of a long 32 trip through India. It was certainly one of the nicer budget hotels I stayed in. I had a very comfortable ground floor room, with cozy furnishings, a large bathroom, with a good supply of hot water (not always the case in India) and aircon that worked The front desk staff were very helpful and well informed on places to eat and see around town. Thanks for a great few nights. The breakfast they provide in another location close by was also very good and served in a wonderful garden style patio and art gallery.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We only stayed for 1 night.

Pros: Good location.The room had some attractive furniture and a nice little balcony overlooking the street.

Cons: I found the bed uncomfortable and the bathroom was a little smelly and featured a massive cockroach.

2  Thank PrincessBaby
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I had decided to stay at Raintree Lodge based on Tripadvisor reviews coupled with my preference for a small quiet place with character & also due to the fact that I had wanted to stay at their Old Harbor Hotel but they had no rooms. My mail to the lodge was quickly replied.I was happy to know that they did not ask for any advance, just my credit card details & right away confirmed my bookings.

After staying at the opulent Vasundhara Sarovar Reort at Alleppey we drew down to this hotel.The contrast was very apparent.But some points worked in its favor- the small charming bunglow type building,with less number of Rooms ( 7). We were given a lovely first floor corner room with a balcony over looking the small quiet Petr celli street.The room was clean with spotless linen,a spacious bathroom with hot water & clean towels.

The best part of the lodge was the location.The Teapot Restaurant was just a few yards away where one could have a lovely B`fast with a great variety of Indian speciality teas from Darjeeling,oolong,green to masala chai! Eggs,pastries & cracking Samosas.One late evening while i was having Tea & pastries a Canadian sitting next to me was exclaiming that he had never eaten such tasty `roasted chicken any where else in the world! Kashi Art Cafe is also close by were one can have some good coffee with snacks while exchanging travel anecdotes with other travelers while also watching the art work of local artists.There are a number of other eating places to suit all tastes to pockets-Old Harbor, malabar Junction & Xlo Bar, Dal Roti & a couple of tented eating joints which do deliver tasty spicy local stuff..

The lodge has a rooftop terrace with plants where one can spend some good time with drinks & snacks of your own watching the sunset over the Indian ocean.The staff specially Mahesh is very helpful at every turn as also Boshi.

I had extended my stay by a few days & Jude obliged me as also when i decided to leave earlier then my planned reservation. I will definately come back for its charm, helpful service, great location & above all excellent value for money!

Room Tip: First floor balcony room facing the street.