“We loved it”
Review of Casino Hotel

Casino Hotel
Ranked #27 of 205 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“We loved it”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We checked in here after a very disappointing house boat cruise – felt like we were in an Oasis! I would rate this hotel excellent on all counts bar the location. It is on Wellington Island – a man-made Island about 15 minutes from the Fort Cochin area. So it is not in the thick of things. There are no shops or restaurants in the vicinity. You could of course have the Hotel arrange a vehicle for you at INR 400 for a 4 hour session.
The rooms very comfortable and had everything you need. The breakfast was ‘a la carte’ and it was good. We were a group of 8 and we all wanted to get together and watch a movie after dinner. The Hotel very readily provided us a DVD player for no extra charge. On our last night we wanted to celebrate with a bottle of champagne – we were all to nervous to pop the cork and called up the barman. It was past 10 p.m. but he turned up in our room in under 5 minutes with champagne glasses and all! He did a professional job of popping the cork and left with a thumbs up! Overall the service was exceptional!
We found the Spa also to be quite good. There is only one masseuse so if you are a in a group it is good to let them know early so that they can arrange for an additional masseuse to come over from another hotel.
We had an early morning flight and the hotel gave us nice packed breakfast of toasted sandwiches and fruit. Great place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Hebrew first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Nice hotel on a secluded, cosy Island. Good amneties & kind staff. You can take a ferry to Fort Kochi (old Cochin) and enjoy beautiful views on the way.. Recommended for all sorts of traveller - solo, couples, family or business.

Another good part is the restaurant which has water falls & fishes swimming around. Supposed to be good for non-veg food as well.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are good
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2012

A good value for money but not centrally located ...
Staff very friendly....

Rooms are good simple and clean...
Located away from city rush and crowd..
Very ethnic and cosy...

• Stayed May 2012
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We arrived later than planned due to flight delay and moosonal rains ,we were greeted by polite and friendly staff taken to our rooms .Yes the hotel is old was it the first in Cochin??.but I loved the room all wooden in reminded me of being on a ship !We ordered room service one of the party wanted Pasta Cabannara NO it was not on the menu ,the chef cooked especially for her!! At 10 o clock at night?Next. Night had chilly cheesy toast in the bar with a kingfisher!!

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mary38677
Anjali T, Vice President Marketing at Casino Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thanks for writing in with your review of your stay at Casino Hotel.
I'm glad we were able to delight you with our hospitality and hope you will return and also stay at some of the other destinations offered by CGH Earth.
Mumbai
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I spent one night at Casino hotel at the end of my Kerala holiday.
The room was comfortable and spacious enough for three persons.Our room was pool facing and we did avail of the pool.Although Casino is a business hotel there were plenty of tourists.
Buffet breakfast was excellent though the restaurant was very crowded.
I had availed the traditional oil massages at all resorts I had stayed in but the best spa service I received was at the Casino,I went for 2 treatments in my one day stay!
Good place to stay in for a day or two.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed a night with my friend. The initial welcome was very nice and warm.
Rooms were clean,but the positioning of television was very awkward,the beds had edges and i even hurt myself as my foot banged against it. Simple things were ignored like only one bathrobe for double occupancy and similar for bathroom ammenities,though the ammenities were nice,but not replenished. The request made were promptly adhered to,but it seems that language was a challenge. A very major thing was that the A/C was not effective at all,even after complaining the problem was not resolved.
I had heard a lot about the sea food restaurant there but was disappointed. I went in the evening to the restaurant to en-quire about the menu and specials.I was not greeted at all, I was met by one of the staff who promised to get back,but never did. I waited patiently for 20 minutes but everyone chose to ignore me and I left the restaurant. It was very frustating

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Anjali T, Vice President Marketing at Casino Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thanks for posting the review of your stay with us at Casino Hotel. I would like to apologise on behalf of the team at Casino Hotel for the inconsistency of your experience with us. Thanks for pointing out the specific instances where we slipped up and left you disappointed. These will definitely help us shape up and improve our service delivery. While it does not change your experience and I once again apologise for it, we have a lot to learn and we shall improve. I would urge you to come back and give us a chance to show how we can do a much better job.
Yorks
Reviewed February 21, 2012

we stayed two nights with a small tour group and initial impressions were good with a warm welcome. We tried to get a sandwich lunch around the nice pool. The menu stated that the maximum wait was 30 mins but some of our party were still waiting for a simple sandwich after one and a half hours. Management appeared unable to sort out the problems. We decided not to eat there that evening but our guide spoke to management and the next day we had personal apologies and the offer of a reduction on our next meal bill. Breakfast was very nice and the dinner buffet was also good but crowded with other groups.
The rooms was pleasant and clean but the bathroom needed some updating. The location is rather far from the main attractions of the city and it seems quite isolated. It was, however, quiet and the pool is very attractive after a day's sightseeing in the heat. (Some people complained that it is noisy if you get a room near the main air conditioning unit.)

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the pool but away from the main ac unit.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Geo47
Anjali T, Vice President Marketing at Casino Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thanks for your feedback on Casino Hotel.
Let me first apologise to you for the long wait that you and some members of your group had for your pool snacks. The past couple of months have been busy for us and yet that doesn't justify such a long wait. I assure you it is not the norm; I'm glad you enjoyed the food quality and the taste and your time by the pool at Casino. Yes we are aware of the fact that our bathrooms do need refurbishment and we are in the process of working on them.
I hope you will someday have a chance to come back to Kerala and stay in some of the other properties that are part of our group.