This hotel ONLY just makes 4 stars in this review rather than the Trip Advisor 5 stars. It is one of the older Cochin (Kochi) hotels and this means in many ways the rooms are more welcoming than the modern ones, as they have character and usually more solid fixtures and fittings. It also had windows which opened...so a welcome change from just AC.
This comparison between older style and very modern was true for the Renai Cochin but the downside was that I never really felt that I was being welcomed as a “welcome” guest. When I checked the gym, and found it closed, after only being told an hour earlier it would be open – I arrived at the gym at around 7.45pm when sign said it closed at 9.30pm – no one was able to open it. Staff tried, but after 30 minutes of waiting I gave up. At reception, when I informed them, the reaction was “no reaction” with a smile. I wrote and left a note for the General Manager but four days later, when I came to leave, I had received no reply or response. I also had issues with laundry not being returned on time and made to feel as though I had done something wrong before it was returned. Even in the restaurant, being on my own...even if the restaurant was more or less empty, I was directed to a small table in the corner...I spotted other single guests were also apparently treated the same. No choice...just stuck in a corner. No doubt in case a larger party arrived so they would have room....but it made one feel one was just a “number” and not a really welcome guest. There were other similar issues and it was these little things which took the edge of what could have been a very enjoyable stay.
I was able to use the gym the following nights and it is one of the best equipped gyms I have found in a hotel in Kerala. The staff attendant was also helpful and friendly. In my bedroom the multi-jet bathroom shower was great and the actual bedroom / bathroom cleaning, each day, very efficient. So maybe I just caught the hotel over an “off” few days. If the opportunity arose, I probably would stay again, not least to see if I had just had an “unlucky” few nights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Renai Cochin (formerly The Renaissance Cochin), a landmark 4-star rated exclusive boutique hotel in the heart of Cochin. We take pride in offering personalized attention with an eye for detail at all times, regardless of whether you're scouting for a potential associate to help promote your business here at Cochin or looking to give your family an unforgettable vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Renai Cochin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Renai Cochin Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Renaissance Hotel Cochin
- Renaissance Kochi
- Kochi Renaissance
- Renaissance Hotel Kochi
- The Renai Cochin Kochi (Cochin), India - Kerala