“Great feel but somewhat disappointed”
Review of The Renai Cochin

The Renai Cochin
Ranked #86 of 205 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Great feel but somewhat disappointed”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This hotel ONLY just makes 4 stars in this review rather than the Trip Advisor 5 stars. It is one of the older Cochin (Kochi) hotels and this means in many ways the rooms are more welcoming than the modern ones, as they have character and usually more solid fixtures and fittings. It also had windows which opened...so a welcome change from just AC.
This comparison between older style and very modern was true for the Renai Cochin but the downside was that I never really felt that I was being welcomed as a “welcome” guest. When I checked the gym, and found it closed, after only being told an hour earlier it would be open – I arrived at the gym at around 7.45pm when sign said it closed at 9.30pm – no one was able to open it. Staff tried, but after 30 minutes of waiting I gave up. At reception, when I informed them, the reaction was “no reaction” with a smile. I wrote and left a note for the General Manager but four days later, when I came to leave, I had received no reply or response. I also had issues with laundry not being returned on time and made to feel as though I had done something wrong before it was returned. Even in the restaurant, being on my own...even if the restaurant was more or less empty, I was directed to a small table in the corner...I spotted other single guests were also apparently treated the same. No choice...just stuck in a corner. No doubt in case a larger party arrived so they would have room....but it made one feel one was just a “number” and not a really welcome guest. There were other similar issues and it was these little things which took the edge of what could have been a very enjoyable stay.
I was able to use the gym the following nights and it is one of the best equipped gyms I have found in a hotel in Kerala. The staff attendant was also helpful and friendly. In my bedroom the multi-jet bathroom shower was great and the actual bedroom / bathroom cleaning, each day, very efficient. So maybe I just caught the hotel over an “off” few days. If the opportunity arose, I probably would stay again, not least to see if I had just had an “unlucky” few nights.

Room Tip: I had room with car-park view towards the rear of the hotel and I found this quieter than what other...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, UK.
Reviewed August 25, 2012

as part of my awesome 9 wk tour of both India & Sri Lanka - I had the pleasure of staying @ this lovely, atmospheric, smart hotel - the staff, rooms, fellow hotel guests, restaurants, public areas, food were wonderful - I certainly would return if in Cochin again - Namaste & Danuvad/Shukria one & all who made my stay such a holiday.....

Room Tip: all rooms were superb whatever position.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank marionLondon_UK_
Johannesburg
Reviewed July 12, 2012

A nice hotel, that needs a little bit of work. The staff are very friendly and there are various restaurants to choose from. Our bathroom was very small, but we managed. Not very near many things, but enjoyed Cochin nonetheless. A very big variety for the buffet. Not neccessarily the freshest of pastries though. The rest of the food was very nice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
KOLKATA
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We arrived at the hotel and that was the beginning of our Kerela trip, but sorry to say that we were made to wait at the reception for quite some time as the room was not ready for hand-over.

The room ambience was also ok..not very appealing.We had booked a suite, but even that was not as per our expectation.

The complimentary breakfast was good..Overall I would say an avaerage place to stay.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Cochin was the 1st leg of our honeymoon and i wanted it to be really special.. I booked a Suite room but was disappointed in comparison to the picture I had in my mind

The rooms were neat and spacious, but not special the way I wanted to be...

They offer Good breakfast and a complimentary mini bar in the rooms

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ajaycwa1981
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Good rooms and good food with local delicacies included in the menu

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
McPherson, Kansas
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed at the Renai Hotel (formerly called the Renaissance Hotel) in Kochi, India, on two occasions, once in 1999 and, more recently, in 2012. The first time my husband had had surgery at the AMES Hospital, and this hotel was a nice place to recuperate after he was discharged. On our second trip in 2012, we visited friends in Kochi and went to the Amrita ashram. During the Kochi portion of the latter trip, we stayed at the Renai for several days.
On both occasions, we had a very good experience with the hotel. The rooms are nicely designed and furnished with comfortable beds and modern baths. Breakfast buffet was included and very tasty. We enjoy Indian food so that was a plus, but some Western choices were, also, available. The hotel is not in a central location of the city, but it is still within city limits and within easy reach by taxi or rickshaw. We recommend the Renai. You will love the gorgeous palm trees of Kerala, as well as Fort Kochi, the Indian Ocean, and many other beautiful places around Kerala.

Room Tip: We prefer a room on the "palm tree" side, not the parking lot side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends