“Momo Magic”

Tibetan Chefs Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 994 Restaurants in Kochi (Cochin)
Cuisines: Tibetan
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Yummy momos and vegetarian fried rice. We ate there 3 times while we were in town. Delicious food, friendly service.

1  Thank Kate R

Reviewed April 8, 2013

A small restaurant that plays beautiful Buddhist chanting music. They are quite busy in the evenings, people eat there before watching the Kathakali performances; situated next door. They serve a variety of Tibetan cuisine. We really enjoyed their vegetarian momos (dumplings) and Chicken Thenthuks (Chicken soup noodles). The service is a bit slow but the food is worth the wait.

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Went here as it opposite that katakali centre which we visited n also we love momos! Lets check it out!
First impressions are that it's amazing what some people in India can do with little spaces. It's kitted out mismatch bits but looks n feels friendly. The staff are so polite. And yes we had momos. Big steamed ones which were ok but we will go back n try other stuff on the menu. We also had power cut while we were there n the staff bring out candles n it's just adds to the romance of this place. Quaint, down to earth, nothing showy but friendly people n great food!

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

This is a funky little eatery, with bright plastic covers over plastic tables set up under a tarp; plastic chairs on gravel. All very neat, intended to be cheerful, yet in the hot season, rather dreary. I suspect the Free Tibet paraphanelia that complete the decore are as much the reason for its popularity as its menu. Given the name of the restaurant, and the Tibetan Buddhist items for sale, I found it highly ironic that so much of the menu offered diasporic Chinese food (like chowmein). The latter came quickly, was hot, and consisted of noodles, julienned cabbage, carrots, green pepper and some green onion. R90. The service was friendly, and the location is convenient, so I will try the apparently fabulous momos. But be warned: there are flies.

2  Thank EthnographeEcographe
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our first impression of the Tibetan Chef's Restaurant was that it was incredibly hot and sticky; however, once we were seated at our table around the corner, and the fan was switched on, it was lovely and cool!

The menu seems to have an average number of dishes (all reasonably-priced), so I chose the big cheese momos, and my partner had the vegetable thupka. Neither of us had tried Tibetan food before, so it was a bit of a food adventure into unknown territory!

The waiter advised us that the momo might take a while to cook, as they had to be steamed but since I had my iPad with me, we were happy to play a board game while we waited. As it turned out, we only had to wait around 20 minutes, so as far as we were concerned, this was pretty speedy service!

My momos were light and fluffy, and utterly delicious, although in all honesty, they didn't need the cheese - they'd have been delicious and moist without it. Next time I'll have plain vegetable ones. My partner's thupka, while looking delicious, with all the fresh veg in it, was nevertheless rather bland... until he added the various condiments it arrived with - and then it was lovely!

The staff were friendly and efficient, and full of smiles too, and the restaurant has a great atmosphere; very, very relaxing and laid-back as you sit in the garden, with its makeshift tarpaulin roof. A nice touch is the table of Tibetan crafts and manuscripts for sale, the money from which goes toward helping people in Tibet.

We're looking forward to returning to Tibetan Chef, and trying a few more dishes from the menu... although, it has to be said that I'm completely sold on their momo!

Tip: The tables with the wide bases are awkward to sit at, so if you have any mobility issues, or an aching back, it would be best to have a table with four legs instead.

1  Thank Yumsome