“Beautiful Location”
Review of Brunton Boatyard

Brunton Boatyard
Ranked #11 of 222 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Brunton Boatyard Hotel resembles a century old heritage building with large arches and long and broad corridors. The rooms with a four-poster bed with balconies are big and have a beautiful view over looking the waters which are always busy with ferries and ships. We were lucky to see a dolphin in the water from our balcony.

There are three different restaurants in the hotel one serving sea food and another called History which serves traditional food from recipes got from old Cochin families. The Food was very good. Though the price may be slightly high the portions are substantial enough for two adults.

There is a nice and clean swimming pool. We went on the sunset boat ride in the hotels own boat which takes you around the Cochin harbour and back. So you get to see a lot of Cochin from the water side.

The hotel is located in Cochin Fort Area which is where the Jewish synagogue, the Dutch Palace and a couple of old churches are. Besides there are lot of shops selling antiques, spices and embroidery. Only negative point here is it takes you more than an hour to go to the main city area.

Overall a very nice hotel. If you are on a holiday to Cochin and have no budget constraints this should be the place to stay in.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Matthew3504
vaishakh_surendran, General Manager at Brunton Boatyard, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2016

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your candid review about my hotel on this august forum. We are glad that you have enjoyed your experience. Looking forward to welcome you back in near future.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We were here off season (May 13 and 14) and though there were few guests, the hotel was fully staffed with helpful yet professional staff and the kitchen produced tasty meals. Three of us (my husband, our daughter and I) stayed in deluxe sea facing suite #209. It was lovely. Large, bright and airy, the sitting room and bedroom were filled with fine wooden furniture and artwork. There was also a little room for beverages including tea making equipment and a nice variety of loose leaf teas. Two bathrooms were convenient and the toiletries were first rate. My favorite part was the huge balcony with its incredible view. We used it a lot. We were not bothered by noise, though the birds can be loud and are up early.

We did not use the pool though it looked inviting and was kept very clean. We did enjoy the terrace outside along the waterfront for a lunch once. The pub and the restaurant (the later with local musicians) were both a treat.

The desk arranged for a tuk tuk driver (Saneesh) to show us the sites for a few hours. Very interesting. He drove well, spoke excellent English and was very patient with our requests.

I would also like to note the excellent service I received from Roshini Deepak at the CGH Earth office that represents the hotel. Roshini answered a number of my questions, arranged transfers and booked us in the perfect room.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Hello Ma'am,

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last summer and am writing this review from my diary. It is a lovely place with old world charm and a history to it. Owned by the CG earth group of hotels, it is situated in the middle of Fort Kochi which gives you the choice of roaming around in the surrounding areas with plenty to do. The swimming pool is adjoining the harbor and they arrange to take you out for a nice little trip in a boat and show you around the harbour. In the evenings you can see bunches of fishing boats coming in from the sea. The furniture gives you a strong colonial feel. The cafe on the ground floor and the History restaurant both have pretty good food. Staff is courteous and helpful. Wi-fi connectivity was a bit patchy when I stayed there. All in all, a wonderful experience. Would love to visit again.

Room Tip: Try and choose a harbor facing upper room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Piyush975

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed here at the end of May for a few days at the start of a Kerala holiday. Although clearly out of season (the hotel was very quiet) the staff were attentive, polite, efficient and were as friendly as you would expect from Keralans.

Decor and room all lived up to expectations (think dark wooden, post colonial, boutique) with just a little edge of quirkiness. Pool was clean, and one of the warmest outdoor pools I've swam in! And with a view overlooking the river, what's not to like

Food in the restaurant was simply outstanding. Chef Ajeeth Janardhanan did a stunning job - and I had to tear myself away.

No, it's not cheap by Indian standards. But compared to Europe, it's a total bargain.

Room Tip: We had one of the deluxe sea-facing suites, right above the pool. Try for that one.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank bryansmithlon

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

We had 2 wonderful days at Brunton Boatyard. Service was outstanding - great customer service. Room was fabulous - bed so comfortable. Food excellent - everyone needs to try the first class train mutton curry - out of this world

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Neil L
FEEDBACKfromCGHEarth, General Manager at Brunton Boatyard, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2014

Dear Sir

Thank you for being with us. I am happy that you have enjoyed the Brunton boatyard experience. I thank you for the review and hope to see you on your next trip to Kochi

Reviewed June 3, 2014

During my last visit to Cochin, I had gone for a surprise - belated - birthday lunch to The Coffee Shop, the restaurant located in Brunton Boatyard. I had always seen this hotel while traveling on the Jetty, but had never got a chance to eat there. My wish came true this time and I must say, it was worth the wait!

Once you enter the hotel premises, you will feel as if you have gone back to the Colonial Age because of all the decor. It truly lives up to the name of being a colonial heritage hotel. We entered the Reception and were told that the Restaurant is to the back end of the hotel. As we had gone right around lunch time, it was not too crowded. You can choose to sit inside the A/C restaurant, or outside near the water where you can have a nice view of the sparkling water, the massive ships moving minute by minute, the birds flying from everywhere, and how can you not miss the frequent jetty transporting people and vehicles every 2 minutes!!

There are just a few tables and chairs in the outdoor area and I should warn you that the cushions are pretty dirty, so beware when you sit down!

The cool breeze of the ocean was there to keep us cool amidst the unbearable heat! The waiter immediately came with the menu and seemed very pleasant to talk to. He helped us out with whatever doubts we had in the menu and also suggested a few dishes as well.

The menu is really vast and there is something or the other for everyone to eat.

1. Beverages - You can choose from regular mineral water, soft drinks, various kinds of coffee such as Cappuccino, Espresso, Cafe Latte, or the ever popular filter coffee, numerous flavors of tea such as masala chai, green tea, Darjeeling green tea, and of course Kerala's favorite tea, Kannan Devan!

2. Coolers - They also had a section in the menu called Coolers. You can choose from a Pomegranate and Peppermint Juice, an Ice Tea, Lassi or Orange and Banana Smoothie.

We decided to settle for a bottle of beer and a warm sprite.

It was time to order the appetizers. I thought of ordering a salad and whenever I eat juicy salads with lots of vegetables and light dressing, it always reminds me of the movie Dil Chahta Hai, when Preity Zinta is relishing those gigantic salads in Australia. Believe it or not, I felt the same way that day!

For vegetarians, there were two kinds of salads available.

1. Fresh From The Local Market - Fresh tropical vegetables with curry leaf dressing.
2. Summer Salad - Lettuce, Tomatoes, Olives, Sprouts, Shaved Parmesan Cheese, Cress with Apple Cider Dressing.

Just by reading the description of Salad number 2, my mouth started watering and I knew that this would be a good choice! I was so happy to see the salad once it arrived in front of my eyes. Really devoured each and every bite. It surely filled my stomach even though it was a salad. The salads are served with two pieces of garlic bread.

If you want a soup, you can chose the Pumpkin and Holy Basil Soup or Chilled Green Peas Soup with Parmesan ice cream.

For non-vegetarians, there were also two salads to choose from.

1. Grilled Chicken Breast Salad - Pan Grilled Chicken, Grilled Pear and Vegetables.
2. Jewels of the Arabian Sea - Prawns, Calamari, Fish, Lettuce, Vegetables, Garlic and white wine reduction.

My husband ordered Salad number 2 and though he is not a fan of salads, he thoroughly enjoyed this one as it was loaded with the various ingredients.

As we ate our salads and enjoyed the cool breeze, we could see the passengers on the jetty having a glance towards our end. Since we were the only ones seated outside at the moment, it was as if all eyes were on us!

It became a little cloudy and started to sprinkle. Luckily, it didn't rain and we didn't have to go inside, but continued to sit in the sun and enjoy our meal.

If you are a fan of international cuisine, you will definitely be confused as to what to order for your main course as they had various dishes to choose from.

1. Da Italia - Served with whole wheat homemade pasta - There were two kinds of vegetarian and three kinds of non-vegetarian pasta dishes to choose from. Since we normally eat pasta at home, we decided to skip it and try something different.

2. Indulgence - Yes, that is the name of another section in the menu! My eyes immediately saw the words "Parmigiana" and thought I should try this dish. It was a delicious crumble filled with mozzarella, eggplant, zucchini and cheese and topped with breadcrumbs. Though the size of the ramekin looked small, the quantity was a lot. I would recommend this dish for anyone who loves crumble. This dish served with a small salad on the side and two pieces of garlic bread.

They also have several varieties of non-vegetarian dishes in the Indulgence section of the menu. This includes "Brunton Style Fish & Chips" - Special batter for a crispy crust, chips, and homemade tartar sauce; "Grilled Chicken" - Chicken breast, sundried tomato and garlic, semolina.

My husband decided to order something from the another menu which was placed on each table. In that particular menu, you would have a long list of Kerala delicacies to choose from. He decided to order:

3. Tenga Aracha Konju Curry with Idiyappam - Idiyappams are better known as 'string hoppers' and a very popular item for breakfast in Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. It is made with roasted rice flour and coconut. This dish can be literally translated as Shrimp curry with roasted coconut masala. There were three tiny idiyappams along with a gigantic bowl of the curry. There was still some curry leftover so packed it for dinner!

Desserts:

Though I am a dessert queen, I did not order anything as I was stuffed from the appetizer and main course. Not only that, but there were not many things to choose from, especially for the vegans.

You could order a Pista and Kesar Kulfi or Extra Virgin Olive Oil Sorbet and of course, your choice of home made ice cream.

For the eggetarians, there were two delicious desserts waiting for them on the menu. One was the Lemon Cheese Cake and the other was the Old Fashioned Espresso Cake.

Overall, my experience at Brunton Boatyard, The Coffee Shop was a good one. The service was really good. Our waiter, Karthik, was very friendly and helpful. The ambiance is really lovely, especially if you don't mind being the center of attraction for the jetty travelers!

Here are a few things to keep in mind if you plan on coming to the restaurant for a nice meal:

1. The prices of the dishes are very expensive. But I always feel that if the food was good, then price should not matter. The bill will come up to a huge amount, so be prepared.

2. The variety of dishes to choose from is very vast and if you are a person who loves continental food, then you will enjoy the food at this restaurant.

3. Try to sit outside so you can have a beautiful view of the ocean. It may be a little sunny, but once the breeze is blowing, you will forget about the heat!

Suggestions to the Management:

1. Kindly change the table and chairs as they look worn out and have a very old look to it.

2. Please serve more eggless desserts such as cakes, pastries, mousse, etc. Perhaps, you can serve the same dessert, one without egg, and one with egg for those who are particular.

Overall Rating:

Food: 4/5
Ambiance: 4/5
Service: 5/5

Thank you for making my birthday lunch a special and memorable one!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank P1381

Dear Madam
We are thrilled at this review. Truly appreciate the effort taken and are amazed at the detailing and description. I thank you for choosing Brunton to be the special place for the special occasion and am glad that you enjoyed the experience. we have discussed this review in detail and have taken the recommendations. I hope to see you on your next trip to Kochi.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Visited Brunton with Lee Holmes@superchargedfood. We started with a simple dish - scrambled eggs on brioche and got hooked. It was delicious! Went there every day for either breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food is fantastic and both the restaurants are sublime. Fine dining in Brunton is taken seriously and we enjoyed every morsel of our exquisite dinner - the crab bisque, slow cooked mutton and finally caramel dessert. Recommend to everyone, if you go to fort kochi, you have got to try Brunton's cooking. Executive chef Ajeet Janadhardanan knows great food!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Erica L

Dear Guest

Thank you for this review and the recommendation. Chef Ajeeth is charming and can talk about food. His passion is evident and he is responsible for transforming the food at Brunton. His philosophy evolves around offering what he calls PURE FOOD, the one that is natural, seasonal, fresh, local and whole and to keep it healthy as well as tasty. I thank you for being at Brunton and hope to see you on your next trip to Kochi.