“Charming hotel, great location/price and wonderful service!”
Review of Fort House

Fort House
Ranked #26 of 210 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
London
“Charming hotel, great location/price and wonderful service!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were recommended this hotel at the last minute by a cab driver who was taking us to Cochin from Alleppey. I'm always a little bit wary of recommendations by drivers (I tend to think they're on commission and if we've got nowhere booked we'll stay anywhere!) but I'm glad we took his advice.

This charming hotel is very centrally placed in Fort Cochin and the service was just fantastic. The rooms were clean and simple with A/C, kettle and toiletries. It's not very big but each room has a little table and chairs outside the room where you can sit with a cuppa and chill out and read a book. The hotel is built around a little garden with big plants, lanterns and stone sculptures, it feels like a little sanctuary after a day out in Fort Cochin.

We only stayed one night and opted to eat in the hotel restaurant - I'm glad we did. The food was superb and at night the hotel put tables out on the little pier that juts out into the water and it's such a lovely romantic setting. The chef prepared boneless fish curry especially for me which was very kind.

The next morning we were going on a long drive to the waterfalls (something the hotel organised for us for a very reasonable price!) and the lovely breakfast staff packed us each a delicious toasted sandwich to take as we couldn't make breakfast!

Wifi is free in reception and if you're in rooms 1-3 you can pick this up from your room.

The only negative things were that there was a bit of a mossie problem when we were there (I didn't think more so than anywhere else in India, personally) but they were very proactive about spraying the room entrances and all the porches.
Also, there was a bit of building going on so there were a lot of bricks lying around and builders going back and forth, but this didn't upset our stay.

I loved this little hotel, I'm so glad we were recommended it and I'd advise anyone staying in Fort Cochin to check it out.

Room Tip: If you want wi-fi access try and get room 1 or 2. We had 3 and could get a weak signal sat on the po...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Squeals

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Norwood, New Jersey
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This was the second hotel I stayed at in India, having overnighted in Chennai and flown the following morning to Cochin. It was the total opposite of the previous hotel - definitely not five star, but well-run. I am a flexible traveler, but one thing I require is cleanliness. Rooms were simple, a bit dark, and very clean (walking barefoot on the terra cotta floor left no dust on my feet). Bath was simple, with shower only (no tub) and also perfectly clean. Mosquito net was provided, but I didn't notice any mosquitoes, and I'm extremely sensitive to their bites.
The proprietors live on premises and at all times were welcoming and helpful, arranging for moto rickshaw drivers whom we engaged for all our travel - they were great - and inviting me in to their office/sitting room for conversation. As I was there at low season (July), the restaurant on the pier at the end of property was closed, but a small restaurant at the front was open for meals - for me, not a breakfast eater, perfectly adequate, offering a variety of options such as toast, eggs, Indian fare, and always fresh fruit/juice. Service was a bit slow but not terrible. Staff were always polite, friendly, and helpful.
During my stay the hotel was constructing additional rooms, and I believe it has been upgraded since my stay. At no time was the construction an annoyance; in fact, it was interesting to watch the workers, women as well as men, who were friendly in a deferential way and did not mind having photos taken. The interior garden is lush and charming.
One of the best features of this hotel is its location, right on the water, immediately next to the famous fishermen, who welcomed us to help pull in their catch, and a short walk through interesting residential areas to local markets. For more historic areas, temples and churches, and major markets it is best to travel by rickshaw, which is inexpensive and fun.
This is not a hotel for those seeking five star accommodation; what I liked about it was the opportunity to talk with owners and staff and connect a bit with local people and learn about the area from those who live there.
Please note that my stay was a few years ago, and the hotel appears to have upgraded its facilities since.

Room Tip: During my stay there were only ground floor rooms. Probably the newer second floor rooms are more m...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Chennai, India
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Lovely place with old world charm and a great location facing the Kochi Harbour... just opposite Vallarpadom Container Terminal. And friendly staff too. But I would recommend that if you would like your dinner on time please go elsewhere. We had to wait for one and a half hours and finally the food that was delivered was far below expectations as described on the menu.
The breakfast was certainly good.

Room Tip: I understand that the next door Seagull serves good local food.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MaitriWorks
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The Fort House is a beautiful hotel with very friendly staff. The rooms are nicely decorated and clean. The restaurant was good. Mosquitos are a problem so make sure you have plenty of insect repellant. We had Ayurvedic massages there- read up on what that is like before you go. NOT like your typical American massage but very relaxing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HeidiR89
Malmö
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Nice place and restaurant. During our stay we also ha a cooking class which we enjoyed alot. The food in the restaurant is good and the atmosphere in the garden is faboulus. Friendly staff.

The location close to the seaside is nice, but the neighbourhood is not the absolutely best - it is however ok.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Thulle
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed at Fort House for a couple of weeks. My sister had Ayurvedic treatment. It is a great place. Lovely small ayurvedic hotel. We loved our long stay here. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The whole place has a nice ambience. The food was the best we had eaten in India. It was freshly cooked daily accordingly to our requirement.
The ayurvedic treatment was good. The location is good as it is possible to easily catch the ferry to the main Kochin from this hotel.
I would go and stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Brescia, Italy
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Good hotel & restaurant, very well located. Staff is prompt and nice. Breakfast is rich and tasty, as well as the menu for main meals.
They organize yoga classes in the morning and boat trip to several locations.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo