“Grand revival for one of world's quaintest hotels” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vivanta by Taj - Malabar

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Ranked #7 of 201 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
New Delhi, India
“Grand revival for one of world's quaintest hotels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Taj Malabar has always been a great property. With its unmatched location, the hotel is a idyllic resort. The recent makeover and facelift have added to the grandeur of the hotel. The spa is a must do particularly the cinnamon masala wrap. The food is very good and service exceptionally high quality.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the backwaters are the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, October 4, 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

Thank you for sparing your valuable time and posting a great review of our hotel.

We do appreciate hearing from our guest, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. I am happy to note that the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction.

Suman Dutta Sharma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I'm way too late writing this review. But as they say, it's better late than never. I stayed at Vivanta by Taj about 1and a half years ago. All I can say is that sometimes I feel that I never should have stayed there. Because after my experience at the Taj, no other hotel, however classy or 5 star rated, just seems enough!!! I swear this is no exaggeration. I have nothing special to say about the facilities - the rooms are impeccable, the food exquisite, the infinity pool is awesome - you get whatever "facilities" you expect from a 5 star. But there is something at the Taj that u don't get elsewhere - out-of-this -world hospitality! They exemplify the Indian ideal of "athithi devo bhava". Let me explain. At check-in, after the welcome drink, an extremely friendly lady staff (sorry, I forgot her name), introduced herself and made small talk with my then 8 year old daughter. On the second day, when we returned to our room, to her delight, she found a printed letter addressed to her (they even remembered her name!) with a cute bedtime story. During dinnertime, I casually enquired if they had Tiramisu on the menu (please note, it was just a casual enquiry, no demands or even the slightest pressure from me). They said they didn't have it, so I ordered something else. On the day of my checkout, to my delightful surprise, the chef had made me a big Tiramisu (complimentary, of course) to take home!!! And with it, sandwiches and French fries for us to snack on, on the road!!! (Note that we are Indian, and that too, Keralite guests, travelling just up to Thrissur which is just about 1 and a half hours away!) Where elsewhere do you get treated like this??? I loved the pampering at the poolside too, with the staff offering us cool watermelon juice. And the complimentary evening tea with the wide array of snacks and pastries in the outdoor open restaurant. The evening boat ride and the speed boat trip were awesome too. After all these years, the experience lingers and when you think of the Taj, something in you stirs with a longing to go back. This Onam vacation, we wanted to try something different, so we stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Kochi. The Crowne Plaza, too was impeccable, with exquisite rooms, great food and superb facilities. But still, there was something missing. That "something" is was you get at the Taj. I can't tell you what that is, you'll just have to experience it for yourself. There is just one thing I would want to warn you about, though. Like I said before, after you've stayed once at the Taj, no other hotel or resort will seem just about the same! I am a person who travels around India at least twice a year, and this is what I'm having to deal with since my stay at the Taj. Thank you, all of you at Vivanta by Taj, Kochi, for giving me those sweet memories of an unforgettable holiday! And very sorry for this late review!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the hotel and we are most thankful for the valuable feedback.

It was a delight to have your feedback as this helps us to measure ourselves for the standards we have set for. It is very rewarding for the team to realize that their warm, professional and anticipatory service very much contributed towards your stay experience. Indeed, it is the Taj way to ensure that all our guests receive the genuine warmth and hospitality that they deserve.

I have taken the liberty to communicate your feedback to my entire team at the hotel. I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence.

We profusely thank you for your valuable feedback which encourages and motivates us in creating a beyond expectation experience each time.

Warm regards,
Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed one night of my exploring journey for Kerala, The best thing about hotel other than service and location is the quaintness and peace
If you are planning to visit or stop by Kochi then Vivanta is the right place with no doubt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, September 23, 2013

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

WE stayed in a suite at the top of the hotel, which was very well appointed, afforded amazing harbor views and was really a nice conclusion to a great stay in India. Everything was very clean and service was impeccable. Busy bar and restaurant ( they seemed to have lots of Japanese Navy officers when we were there), but good food. They will run a water taxi across to the main town, which is worth doing. Frequently used for weddings I gather so there may be some weekend noise if there's a shindig in the garden - but it wasn't too much of an issue. But a nice hotel and one we'd use again.

Room Tip: Go for the suite - its worth it..
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

We at Vivanta by Taj- Malabar are honored to have you stay with us.

We are happy to know that your stay with us was excellent. It was a delight to have your valuable feedback and we greatly appreciate your time you spent, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.

We trust the Vivanta charm will attract you again soon and it will be our pleasure to delight you. Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of the very best in hospitality in the true Taj tradition, always.

Dibrugarh, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Loved staying here. Did not feel like going out of the hotel. As requested, they gave a room on the 7th floor from where you have a wonderful view of the harbor and the backwaters. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff is extremely polite. The evening tea besides the water front seeing the sun set was a nice experience. The pool is nice. The best part of the stay was the complimentary morning cruise on the yacht. Thank you Vivanta by Taj - Malabar. Would love to go back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SudarshanK

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

We are delighted to receive your review of your wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your encouraging feedback and compliments of the hotel.

Indeed, it is the Taj way to ensure that all our guests receive the genuine warmth and hospitality that they deserve. We are very pleased that you felt well-taken care of during your stay.

We certainly look forward to your return in the future, and to extending the warm Taj hospitality and great stay experience that we always strive to deliver.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Had a room in the heritage part of the hotel right by the stairs and above the bar. Avoid- people would stop for a chat on their way to their room and we could hear them quite loudly. As we arrived at the end of the month, there was work on the bar flooring for pretty much most of our second day there (1st of every month is a dry day in Kerala). We did complain about the noises, especially the banging, and were upgraded to a suite in the new wing.
Wow! Living room, bedroom with a 4 poster bed, large bathroom with shower cubicle, bath tub, his 'n hers sinks, WC and even a bidet, and a closet! And not forgetting the balcony overlooking the bay and the sea! Definitely a most comfortable stay, although we would have been happy to have stayed in a similar room to our first one. But this kind of service makes up for anything wrong in the first place.
Loved the garden, very beautiful and well maintained. Lovely pool too tho water too cold at the time from the rains.
There is a library in the hotel too with Internet access (payable) and you can exchange books.
The food in the restaurants is good with good service. Good choice at breakfast tho ended up having idli and dosas most mornings- yummy!
As the rainy season had just started, the BBQ restaurant in the garden was closed but we enjoyed the complimentary afternoon tea and cookies (yummy) there when we were around. Also joined the complimentary sunset cruise a couple of times- great to take pictures of the fishing nets and watch dolphins play.
Loved all these little touches, including the information sheet which was put in the room every day with a bit of local history, recipes, cocktails, description and usage of a herb or spice, day's activities, weather forecast etc- looked forward to them every day and kept them all.
Had a few treatments at the spa and found the service to be professional and of a high quality. Not sure about the Ayurvedic consultation, I didn't find that to be much help.
One downside is that there's no free WiFi available and internet is quite pricey.
Whilst nowhere near anything other than some lovely architecture and lots of industrial buildings, the hotel is very well connected to either Mattancherry, Fort Kuchin or Ernakulam by ferries (Rs 2 or 4 for a trip), with two jetties only a few minutes walk. The hotel even offers complimentary transport to the jetty if you don't fancy the walk.
Umbrellas are provided when raining and in general staff is always smiling and helpful.
The airport is far from the city/ hotel and it can take well over an hour to get to/ from. There are taxis by the hotel and you can arrange with them for airport drop off at half the price of the hotel car.
For day trips we used agencies in the Fort, the hotel trips were often double the price or more- probably a bit more luxurious and exclusive, something a local guest would appreciate more.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Kochin- especially if there's a good offer going, as it may be a bit pricey otherwise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, September 17, 2013

texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was our last stop in a two week Indian vacation, and we stayed here three days. After staying a couple of the Taj Group's majestic palaces and some super luxury Oberoi hotels, the initial impression was somewhat underwhelming. It's really a rather small hotel, with a 6-7 story tower and a small section of "Heritage" rooms facing the ocean, which is what we booked and received. The style and quality of the room was typical of Southeast Asia coast resorts in other countries such as Malaysia and Thailand, very nice but not luxurious. We also initially thought some of the staff were less than friendly, but soon realized that it was in part due to a lack of decent knowledge of English.

The following day we began to warm to the property and certainly the location. we wanted to see the Kerala area and specifically this historic town of old Fort Cochin (even though there isn't a fort there anymore). We could see that the staff was making every effort to please us, especially in their main restaurant and breakfast and at the splendid lunchtime buffet. After breakfast we hopped onto the local ferry over to Fort Cochin. you can walk to the Ferry in about 10 minutes, or grab a tuk-tuk on the street for 20 rupees. There are two different terminals where the ferries depart from, and we could never really figure out their schedules, but they do seem to pass by about every 20-30 minutes at each of them, and in Fort Cochin there is only the one terminal to get back to. the cost of the ferry is all of 4 rupees! Grab a map from the hotel and when you get there, you can stroll around for a while and find most of the historic sites mentioned. when you get tired you can take another tuk-tuk for 20-30 rupees to anywhere else in the small historic area; just be sure the driver knows where you are going, and gently resist the repeated offers to take you "shopping". another bit of good news is that the entire area is relaxed, friendly and very safe; no hassles on the street at all, and the shops offer good service and an interesting selection of local handicrafts, silks, linens, etc. We ended up spending two half days roaming around here and didn't get bored at all. then we returned to the hotel for lunch, the first day at their excellent Indian style buffet, and the second at their specialty seafood restaurant the Rice Boat. at the Rice Boat, as i enjoyed a very good and classic lobster thermidor for about $US 25--, i thought of the $US 40-- hamburger at the Rome Hilton recently, a good comparison of values.

one of the nice details of the hotel is their afternoon harbor cruise after high tea on the terrace, all courtesy of the hotel. all the management of the hotel was on hand to chat with everyone, ask for opinions and suggestions etc.

Not only were the rooms a good value for the price, especially in September during low season, but the food at the restaurants was really a bargain for what you get; the lavish lunch buffet is about $US 12-- per person. If you have time, there is a nice infinity pool, perfectly clean and well maintained, where you won't find too many people (at least not during our visit).

If you are planning on visiting Kerala, and if you aren't focused on staying at a beach resort, i think you would find the history of the area and the quality of the Taj Malabar to be well worth it. you won't be disappointed in the service standards or the food quality at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple