“Hospitality at its best....”

Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Ranked #7 of 207 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
UAE
“Hospitality at its best....”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed in the Taj Malabar with my family during our vacation in July,the minute we entered till we left the experience was worth every penny spent. We were greeted by the staff with a tradtional Indian Welcome and were given a welcome drink,the kids got treated to an ice cream each.The check in was fast and Ann Mary guided us through the hotel and to our room.The room was very clean and the views were great (sea view),the only regret was not able to see any sunset or sunrise as it was raining all the time.We had dinner and breakfast at The Pepper(will give another review).We checked out the next morning which also was very quick,the general manager Mr.Suman came and enquired about our stay which was a nice gesture.We were also given parting gifts as a goodwill gesture.Overall the experience was truly recommendable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, August 5, 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

Thank you for sparing your valuable time and posting a great review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We have noted your comments as it is indeed the pre-eminent barometer by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests.

Suman Dutta Sharma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Unexpected treat while on business for 5 days in Kochi. Good views, great breakfast and pleasant service. Lobby atmosphere is pleasant while watching the monsoon rain and enjoying a beer or wine. The pool was and spa were also an unexpected treat.

Room Tip: Get a room in the tower 6th floor and above on the river corners - good views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, August 2, 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

Thank you for choosing Vivanta by Taj Malabar for your recent stay at Cochin. It was a delight to have your valuable feedback and we greatly appreciate the time you spent for posting a great review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of our best attention and service at all times.

delhi
Reviewed July 31, 2013

the hotel is great and beautiful. the staff was very co operative and helpful. they were going out of the way to take care of us. the rooms are good and food is excellent. it was a great pleasure staying in this taj. the rooms are well kept and neat & clean too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

Thank you for choosing Vivanta by Taj Malabar for your recent stay at Cochin. It was a delight to have your valuable feedback and we greatly appreciate your time you spent, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.

My team joins me in welcoming you back to our lovely hotel once again and assuring of our best attention and the Taj signature hospitality at all times.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Vivanta.. as the name suggests, lives upto the expectation of the traveller, and they surely practise what they preach .. ATITHI DEVA BHAVA.. Guest is God.. truly one of the best and hospitable hotels I have come across in the world and I have travelled quite a bit..

Charming and very hospitable hotel staff, always smiling and eager to serve.. they pampered me with so much food and drinks on the house.. that .. I ...

Kochi is a quaint sleepy pretty town on Kerala, and Vivanta adds upto its charm.

Don't miss the Jiva spa.. they give u awesome massages

Room Tip: ask them for the sea facing rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

We do appreciate hearing from our guest, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. I am happy to note that the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel is luxury, from the moment of arrival. The attention to detail is beyond any 5 star hotel I have ever been in, and when I stayed with my family a week ago we were joking with the other guests about it being at least 6 stars. THe staff are really engaging, and .lovely to chat too. Most classy hotels are impersonal, but this hotel is quite small, so it has a friendly warm feel. Planning to go back it was so special.

Room Tip: We stayed in the modern wing, facing the sea, but another couple we met were in the heritage wing an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

We at Vivanta by Taj- Malabar were honored to have you stay with us in the recent past.

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the hotel and we are most thankful for the valuable feedback.

I am glad to note that the overall quality of service and facilities at the hotel measured up to your expectation. I have taken the liberty to communicate your feedback to my entire team at the hotel. I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence.

Kottayam, Kerala, India
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The problem with the Taj group of hotels is that they have set a such a high standard for themselves that people tend to expect a exceptional quality of service from them...... at least I do !! I guess it has something to do with the Taj branding their Vivantas and Palaces as ultra luxe or thereabouts. (And hence justifying those kind of prices)
Vivanta by Taj Malabar probably has the best location for a hotel in Kochi, right besides the shipping channel on Willingdon Island. What this means is, amazing views of the Kochi port, the ever green Chinese fishing nets, local fishermen, fabulous sunrises and sunsets. And the occasional sightings of harbor porpoises, if you are into that sort of things.
The service at Taj Malabar, as in all other Tajs is simply outstanding. The staff goes out of the way to be of service to you and they do so with a smile. You really do feel well treated here. The little touches they do, like putting bottles of drinking water in your car before you head out for a long journey and the entire lobby staff coming out to wave goodbye as you checkout of the hotel are well thought of gestures that tend to leave a lasting impression on you.
So how come only 3 stars? Well then now on to the not so good parts of my stay. Once again these are minor faults that come up, simply because this is the Taj we are talking about and I would have overlooked these if it were some other hotel.
Firstly. it took me nearly half an hour to check in, and this after having a confirmed reservation, then calling in the morning, then again thirty minutes before coming in too. The check in staff just seemed to go on and on. And this is an issue I have experienced with other Vivantas too. So I wonder if it’s a glitch in the system. Granted, to while away my time they gave me marigold garland and a welcome drink, but being an Indian, I’ve been there done that and bought the t-shirt……when I was 6 years old. After driving for 5 hrs I just want to check into my room ok.
And then to make up for making me wait for so long they say they have upgraded my room, which I thought was a nice touch….until I found out that my room with a view, had and un obstructive view of the car park!! So I miss out on the main USP of the hotel during my stay which was fantastic views of the port and sea beyond!!
My second gripe about the place was that the food was way beyond par. I had the buffet breakfast on three days and it was standard 5 star hotel fare. There was nothing there that made you want to go for seconds. And I have had tastier food in smaller hotels. Even the specialty Kerala Sea food restaurant Rice Bowl failed to impress. Granted that ambience wise it is rather suave, the food sadly didn’t match up. Just to try how good they were, I asked for a Kerala fish curry and rice (The litmus test for a Kerala sea food dish) and, though the fish was reasonable fresh, the curry was all wrong. In fact I had serious doubts whether they had made it specifically for me or grabbed a plate of fish curry from the buffet lunch that was going on in the adjoining restaurant.
So to sum it up Taj Malabar is a great place to stay but you are paying a price to stay there. So when you expect everything to be 100% spot on they were only 78.9% on the mark !!

Room Tip: Ask for the sea facing rooms in the old wing
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Peelipose
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This resort really lived up to its rating and beyond! Not only was the room and the overall resort high end and fantastic...but also all of the staff took extra care and attention to remember who you were, were caring, great service and even gave complimentary ice creams and water melon at the pool!

The restaurant food was fantastic from the buffet breakfast where you couldn't get enough to the Long Boat Seafood restaurant which was spectacular! we really felt pampered here and well looked after.

Sitting by the pool looking out over the water, you can easily get lost in your own world!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smithovic
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, July 29, 2013