“Not all there”

Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Ranked #7 of 202 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Kottayam, Kerala, India
“Not all there”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The problem with the Taj group of hotels is that they have set a such a high standard for themselves that people tend to expect a exceptional quality of service from them...... at least I do !! I guess it has something to do with the Taj branding their Vivantas and Palaces as ultra luxe or thereabouts. (And hence justifying those kind of prices)
Vivanta by Taj Malabar probably has the best location for a hotel in Kochi, right besides the shipping channel on Willingdon Island. What this means is, amazing views of the Kochi port, the ever green Chinese fishing nets, local fishermen, fabulous sunrises and sunsets. And the occasional sightings of harbor porpoises, if you are into that sort of things.
The service at Taj Malabar, as in all other Tajs is simply outstanding. The staff goes out of the way to be of service to you and they do so with a smile. You really do feel well treated here. The little touches they do, like putting bottles of drinking water in your car before you head out for a long journey and the entire lobby staff coming out to wave goodbye as you checkout of the hotel are well thought of gestures that tend to leave a lasting impression on you.
So how come only 3 stars? Well then now on to the not so good parts of my stay. Once again these are minor faults that come up, simply because this is the Taj we are talking about and I would have overlooked these if it were some other hotel.
Firstly. it took me nearly half an hour to check in, and this after having a confirmed reservation, then calling in the morning, then again thirty minutes before coming in too. The check in staff just seemed to go on and on. And this is an issue I have experienced with other Vivantas too. So I wonder if it’s a glitch in the system. Granted, to while away my time they gave me marigold garland and a welcome drink, but being an Indian, I’ve been there done that and bought the t-shirt……when I was 6 years old. After driving for 5 hrs I just want to check into my room ok.
And then to make up for making me wait for so long they say they have upgraded my room, which I thought was a nice touch….until I found out that my room with a view, had and un obstructive view of the car park!! So I miss out on the main USP of the hotel during my stay which was fantastic views of the port and sea beyond!!
My second gripe about the place was that the food was way beyond par. I had the buffet breakfast on three days and it was standard 5 star hotel fare. There was nothing there that made you want to go for seconds. And I have had tastier food in smaller hotels. Even the specialty Kerala Sea food restaurant Rice Bowl failed to impress. Granted that ambience wise it is rather suave, the food sadly didn’t match up. Just to try how good they were, I asked for a Kerala fish curry and rice (The litmus test for a Kerala sea food dish) and, though the fish was reasonable fresh, the curry was all wrong. In fact I had serious doubts whether they had made it specifically for me or grabbed a plate of fish curry from the buffet lunch that was going on in the adjoining restaurant.
So to sum it up Taj Malabar is a great place to stay but you are paying a price to stay there. So when you expect everything to be 100% spot on they were only 78.9% on the mark !!

Room Tip: Ask for the sea facing rooms in the old wing
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Peelipose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This resort really lived up to its rating and beyond! Not only was the room and the overall resort high end and fantastic...but also all of the staff took extra care and attention to remember who you were, were caring, great service and even gave complimentary ice creams and water melon at the pool!

The restaurant food was fantastic from the buffet breakfast where you couldn't get enough to the Long Boat Seafood restaurant which was spectacular! we really felt pampered here and well looked after.

Sitting by the pool looking out over the water, you can easily get lost in your own world!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smithovic
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, July 29, 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

We do appreciate hearing from our guest, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. I am happy to note that the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction.

Tetouan, Morocco
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This hotel was amazing from the moment we arrived. Staff were genuinely welcome and very interesting to talk to. The buffet food was delicious with lots of vegetarian options and there is a seafood restaurant shaped like a boat. The Spa facilities were great, we did yoga in the mornings, had facials and even got our hair done. Everything was perfect. Should be rated 6 star.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking fort cochin are best. We were on a smoking floor but no smell of cigarettes at a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar Cochin!!!

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the hotel and we are most thankful for the valuable feedback. It is indeed a team effort with an unwavering goal towards guest satisfaction, which constantly motivates us to be on our toes.

It is truly rewarding to note that your stay with us was comfortable and it is our constant endeavor to serve you better.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and rest assured, we shall ensure all personal care.

Indore, India
Reviewed July 19, 2013

i with my wife and daughter visited this hotel 2 years back.we had a stay for 2 nights in this hotel.
i can not express in words how wonderfully staff has welcomed us and what a good respect and services till end, i can never forget the wonderful experience , what i had in this hotel.i would like to suggest everyone to choose taj for best services.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, July 19, 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

Thank you for sparing your valuable time and posting a great review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We have noted your comments as it is indeed the pre-eminent barometer by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is the hotel in which every one should stay at least once in his life time. Each parameter is fully met and you feel like staying at best location in Kerala. The food is really delicious . Sun set boat voyage to sea is out of this world. It was my fourth visit to Tak Malanar in last six years.

• Stayed June 2013
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Vivanta Malabar Cochin!!!

We at Vivanta by Taj Malabar were really honored to have you stay with us and sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to our lovely hotel once again.

It was a delight to have your feedback and this helps us to measure ourselves for the standards we have set for our company. I am happy to note that the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction.

Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of our best attention and service at all times.

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The rooms were excellent. Food was great. Staff were very friendly. Welcome drink was great. The hotel is excellent. We were here for one night, but had a great time. We went in the rainy season but had a great time.

Room Tip: All the rooms were excellent. We had 5 rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

Thank you for choosing Vivanta by Taj Malabar for your recent stay at Cochin. It was a delight to have your valuable feedback and we greatly appreciate your time you spent, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.

My team joins me in welcoming you back to our lovely hotel once again and assuring of our best attention and the Taj signature hospitality at all times.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed here for two nights - 2 Adults 2 Kids 2 Rooms
We have travelled the world and stayed in every sort of hotel. The service of this hotel can not be matched. The staff here is like a mafia out to please you.

Our clothes were damp they dried two suitcases of clothes - complimentary.

At breakfast four people huddle as you attempt to sit down - one pulls your chair while the other unfolds the napkin on your lap. They even attempt to transport your loaded plate from the buffet to your table.

You can ask them anything - as long as it is reasonable they will attempt to do it for you. We purchased some fruits from the market and asked them to cut them for us - they prepared two wonderful platters of fruits from our fruit purchases and delivered to our room - wonderfully arranged.

The complimentary evening high tea includes sandwiches and pakoras (fritters). They don't have masala tea in the evening - we asked them and they prepared masala tea for us.

They also have complementary evening boat cruise which was cancelled due to rough weather so they provided us DVD's to watch - how thoughtful.

As we were leaving they cam and gave us parting gifts. The manager came personally and handed me his business card. The entire staff was standing in a line and waving us goodbyes as we left - so sweet.

The hotel is not in the heart of the city but the setting is very nice.

I don't remember all the names but Arun (Executive Housekeeper) Michelle and everyone else you made our trip very memorable - Thank you.

Currently staying in another Taj property in Kovalam but Taj Cochi - you were much better. Taj Kovalam refused the masala tea :(

Rajeev

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SumanDSharma, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Malabar, responded to this review, July 15, 2013

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj Malabar!!!

We at Vivanta by Taj- Malabar were honored to have you stay with us in the recent past.

I am glad to note that the overall quality of service and facilities at the hotel measured up to your expectation. I have taken the liberty to communicate your feedback to my entire team at the hotel. I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence.