“How to know India better than staying in a family”

Johnson Homestay Fort Cochin
Ranked #83 of 424 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Quebec City, Canada
“How to know India better than staying in a family”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We arrived in Cochin in january and we left in march after travelling mostly in south India,Kerala Tamil nadu, Goa and Karnataka. As I said while in Cochin we stayed at Johnson homestay. We could walk from Fort to this place it takes only 10- 15 minutes or if you like you can take the bycicle, Johonson has 2. The place is silent because is not on a main road and the family is pleasant to speak with and to get in touch better with indian style of life. I surely will stay in this place again once I will go back to India. You can also have breakfast, indian or continental. Johnson is a ricksaw driver, so he knows all the intresting places to visit or the best shops to buy things. I definately suggest to stay in this home stay for a reasonably cost .
Angelo and Suzanne from Quebec Canada

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank table395

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
India
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Mr Johnson and his family have made my stay!

I started my trip to Fort Cochin in a hotel with my godmother but when she went back to SA I decided to move in with the charismatic auto-ricksure driver we had met at the start of the trip. Johnson, whos ricksure is named 'the Ferrari', made me laugh at ever turn and could not have been more honest and kind. Staying in his home has been a blessing. His family are lovely, the house is clean and comfortable and I feel very safe. When I return to Cochin I will be staying with Johnson, what ever my budget!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Mont-Tremblant
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had a very interesting experience in this Homestay , after many visit to India it was the first time we stayed so long ( 1 month ) in the same place ...and we are going back this year again ...Jonhson is a great and humouristic man and very helpful ...but we should not forget Elisabeth ( his wife ) ...no word to describe ! ...she doesn't speak english as good as Jonhson but her heart speaks an international language ...adorable ! ....also their 2 sons Xavier & Francis ( 12 & 14 years old ) are wonderful kids and they speak a very good english ...the rooms are very clean and the geographical situation is very interesting ( not in the crowd but walking distance from the center of Fort Cochin )...you should try it ...you will like it !

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Celine226
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 28, 2012

it was a great experience to stay in this homestay.
it was the realy begin of our trip, so the first homestay we have made (en the best!). It was realy helpfull to have someone like johnson who can tell you all the good plans and help you.
great experience!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank severine_doneux
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I and my wife first met Mr Johnson on a visit to Kochin 10 years ago when he showed us around in his rickshaw. If you prefer to walk to the centre it only takes 15 mins. His 2 rooms are very clean and airy and one gets a real feeling of local Indian life.
When you are invited for a meal do not refuse as Elisebeth, his wife , is an excellent cook and you will experience real local food.
Mr Johnson speaks good English and will be the perfect guide to show you around.
For a few days the Johnson Homestay is ideal.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RodBrown_12
London
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Staying at Johnson's Homestay was such a treat for us. After a long journey we were keen to head straight for somewhere recommended in the guide book and to find somewhere to stay the next day. However, a friend of Johnson's took us to meet them and to see the room, the room was clean spacious and the home had a warm atmosphere. The most comfortable bed in India! Later that day we made friends with the family. They are a lovely bunch, Johnson is charming and had so much time for us if we wanted it. He knows all there is to know about the city. Elizabeth (Johnson's wife) was wonderful and always smiling, and there children were really nice boys, we loved spending time with them. Their home is in a very quiet area just 5-10 minute walk from the centre of town. We looked forward to walking every day and chatting to people along the way who were always smiling and warm.

The plan was to stay in Fort Cochin for 2 nights, but the family made us feel so welcome and were enjoying walking around Kochi so much that we stayed for 8 nights in the end. It was a truly enjoyable time and I would recommend Johnson Homestay to any travellers.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BettyString
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here a few days whilst in Fort Cochin, and was instantly made to feel welcome and at home. The family are lovely and Johnson is extremely helpful. Not only did he help with travel within Fort Cochin, but he also helped and gave advice for my subsequent travels through Kerala. His wife is also a great cook, and made some recall tasty Keralan meals. The location is pretty good and the facilities are comfortable (Windows also had proper mosquito barriers).

If I were to visit Cochin again (which I hope to someday), I'd stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012