“Regrettable experience!”
Review of Paul's Inn

Paul's Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kochi (Cochin)
Paul's Inn
Ranked #329 of 446 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Paul and Sarah (his wife), run a “home stay”, which had little or nothing to do with making us feel welcome and happy of our time in Kochi @ Paul’s Inn.

We arrived in the evening after a rather bumpy and meandering ride thru scores of by lanes to Paul’s Inn. I wasn’t really expecting much in terms of a sprawling open space with tons of nature surrounding me as this place is 15-20 mins away from MG road and so pretty much a city house. Though I was surely expecting the hosts to make us feel at ease, completely relaxed, share with us local knowledge and help us plan our itinerary at Kochi and guide us on the Do’s and Don’t’s what’s to be totally avoided. Little did we know back then, that Paul’s Inn was to be totally avoided.

There is a review here, that Paul has immense knowledge to keep you engaged and interested on a wide range of topics -
Why was it so, that he lacked simple knowledge of how far the sights to see were? We were taken by surprise by the long (time wasting) and expensive rickshaw travelling we had to do, to get to Fort Kochi. His website has misleading information.
A learning here: the money we spent going back and forth could have been better used to take up a place to stay closer to Fort Kochi, which would have been obviously more expensive.

Why was it so, that he and his wife Sarah, preferred to stay purely transactional, i.e. responding to our questions only? We’ve had better experiences with a hotel front desk in these matters.

We made sure the evening before, we conveyed our expectations on the timing of our breakfast and requested some kind of traditional food. We had this conversation with both Paul and Sarah and to our amazement and disappointment, Sarah tell us next day, Paul hasn’t communicated anything to her. How could that be possible? At that point neither of them even had the courtesy to offer us something - Tea/Coffee or even biscuits so that we don’t just leave for our sightseeing. I can vouch from my travelling of many years and staying in home stays, that had this been any other home stay worth its salt, they would have made alternate arrangement’s to tide over this. Paul and his wife Sarah, weren’t even apologetic about it.

By now, our experience was pretty much ruined, but the worse was still to come.

We were relieved to leave Paul’s Inn and continue our travels within Kerala, but Mr. Paul wasn’t finished yet. He had the cheek to call up wife repeatedly with missed calls on her mobile from 6.30 AM onwards and leaving messages about “I want your friendship, don’t Ignore me”. When he was called back to put an end to this indecent and unbecoming of a married man with 2 daughters’ behavior, he had little to respond and justify (Sarah, are you reading this?)

To Paul’s Inn credit, the room and the bath was clean, with plenty of hot running water. You can’t really draw the curtains back, since you would be either looking at the street that runs in the font of the house or other houses within 10-15 feet away.

I would certainly recommend this place to gents who don’t plan to see the sights of Kochi (not many eh?)

I did promise a review to Paul and I hope travelers planning to stay at Paul’s Inn are better guided now.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2011

One looks for a home stay to get that homely experience while you are travelling. Considering Paul’s Inn is referred to as a home stay, I was amazed to find the hospitality completely lacking. Sarah, Paul’s wife barely acknowledged our presence while we were there. We found the experience cold, indifferent and unwelcoming. Their children would stare at us from their window when we would come in or go out. I don’t blame the children but Paul or Sarah could have done better in making us feel comfortable and more at home.

First the logistics. Paul’s Inn is located at Cemetery Road junction near Ernakulum south. If you are planning to visit Cochin and do some sightseeing around Fort Cochi and the Chinese fishing nets, you would end up spending several hours in travelling. Surprisingly, their website mentions the distance from Fort Cochi as 9 kms but this is incorrect and misleading. In reality it is 30 kilometers away from Fort Cochi and with transport being the way it is in Cochin it took us more than two hours each time to travel back and forth. Truly frustrating to be stuck in hot humid traffic jams while you are on a holiday.

The tariff includes a complementary breakfast. But we got served no breakfast or even tea/coffee during our stay even though we categorically mentioned to our host the previous evening that we needed to be out at 8.30 am. Sarah offered a flimsy excuse that her husband never informed her of our plans. That certainly didn’t go down with me or husband because it upset our plans for the day as we had to go look for eating places when we should have been sightseeing.

And again single women or women in general would be better off avoiding this place. I had heard stories from my friends about the notorious men in kerala. When we were out of the place our host Paul would send several text messages and missed calls on my phone. When I confronted him he told me he was doing this so he could be ‘friends’. This was downright annoying. First you offer shoddy service, and then this! Am willing to let go of the hospitality and everything else for a while, but I would expect a host to have some civility in the way he treats his guests.

Paul’s Inn was our first stop in the state of kerala. Unfortunately it turned out to be a not-so-pleasant one for me and my husband. One looks for hospitality and some local knowledge about the city/place when one opts to stay in a home stay. Paul’s Inn offers neither. If this happens to be your first home stay experience, then it might just put you off the idea completely. I have stayed in homestays before and Paul’s Inn comes nowhere close to what a homestay should be.

The tariff is cheap however (we paid 1200 for non-AC per night), and to be fair, the room was clean and the bathroom spacious with running hot water. It’s a nice place to crash for the night, but if you are looking for a real, homestay experience with good food, warm hospitality and some local information, you won’t find that here.
One last thing, the reason we chose Paul’s Inn was because of some good reviews on tripadvisor. But having gone through this dismal experience at Paul’s Inn I would really question the validity of these reviews.

Paul’s Inn made us feel unwelcome and like an outsider.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I do travel extensively as a fundraiser for a mission of charity. Recently I’ve been to Cochin and I had a wonderful stay at Paul’s Inn. And in fact the architectural beauty of Paul’s Inn is simply superb and it’s a beautiful blend of a modern domestic design with an artistic touch of traditional style. Each room (bedroom, living, dinning) equipped with all modern facilities has given me a warm welcoming touch and made my stay a unique experience. The homeowner Adv. Varghese is a great company indeed and a man of encyclopedic knowledge as well. He knows how to entertain his guests with a talk on different topic beginning from No. 10 Janpath and while he does so, his wife Sarah (a superb host indeed) makes sure her personal attention reaches everywhere to make the guest feel at home. And their two little dear daughters (Tanku and Richu) are obviously a ‘bundle of joy’ and ‘delightful fragrance’ indeed...!
It’s so I do confidently recommend to all those overseas and domestic travelers (while they travel in Cochin) not to miss the friendly welcome and generous hospitality of Paul’s Inn. If Cochin is the Queen - Paul’s Inn- is in fact a jewel in her crown in terms of finest hospitality. And I do conclude this review with a quote (of course source unknown)
"Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living".

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2010

We had a most enjoyable time at Paul's Inn the host was very accomadating and helpful,the position of Paul's Inn was very easy to get around to explore, site see and for the availability of transport.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family