“An excellent homestay”

Ranked #47 of 437 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“An excellent homestay”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed at Jasmin Villa for 3 nights and were extremely well looked after. The food was excellent and Jasmin and Stanley were excellent hosts. The villa was very clean and its location was quiet and interesting, especially in the Christmas holiday period with brilliant decorations. We thoroughly recommend staying here and also using Stanley Wilson for arrangements since he was excellent to deal with and very efficient and helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2012

From the moment I booked my stay at Jasmin Villa until the time I left, I had an extremely positive experience. I booked via email with Stanley Wilson who runs Jasmin Villa and other Kerala tours and homestays out of his office in Fort Cochin (wilsontours.co.in). Stanley and Jasmin have a beautiful home with shiny floors, clean rooms and charming Keralan furniture and decor. More importantly, they are the perfect hosts, constantly offering a cup of chai or coffee, advice on what to do and how to get there, and great conversation.
I stayed in a room at the front of the house with a lovely balcony overlooking the street. My room had hot water and a fan. Other rooms have A/C but at this time of the year, you don't really need it to stay comfortable.
One of the highlights of Jasmin Villa is Jasmin's food--included in the rate is breakfast and dinner--Jasmin's cuisine is unbelievable. Every dish another mouth-watering Keralan delicacy. And Jasmin pulls every meal off with calm and effortless aplomb, all smiles as you sink your teeth into deliciousness and offer her compliments!! She offers cooking classes but I simply watched the magic happening from the kitchen door.
Staying at Jasmin Villa was a fantastic way to get a feel for the real Kerala and I will most certainly go back the next time I get a hankering for the best Keralan food I tasted during my time there.

Room Tip: The room with the balcony is lovely.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Giovanna B
Moshav near Netanya
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We didn't stay here (too bad...), but had an excellent cooking class. What really strikes you as you enter Jasmin's home is the cleanliness! Our family (2 adults, kids 8,14,18) has a great time in the cooking class - food was delicious and Jasmin was an excellent hostess and teacher. I wish we would've stayed here rather than our hotel which was not so great, and definiately not as clean!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
london
Reviewed December 23, 2011

My wife and I returned to South India after a break of two years.We had previously booked a houseboat trip with Wilson Tours of Princess Street, Fort Cochin.We thoroughly enjoyed the experience( see my previous review of the 24 hour houseboat trip).We decided to try out their homestay, "Jasmin Villa".The first thing that struck us as we entered the residence was the all round cleanlinesss and warm welcome from Jasmin who prides herself in providing excellent hospitality and South Indian cuisine of a very high standard.The bedroom and bathroom were spotless.We had clean,well laundered and crisp sheets with hot water on demand.We had the most superb Keralan food prepared by Jasmin, who incidentally provides cookery classes at a modest cost.We were so well looked after that we extended our stay and we will gladly return for more of the same.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar in terms of cleanliness and amenities.One has a balcony so if you want to...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Cochin, Kerala, India
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed 2 nights and I had an enjoyable time at Jasmin villa. Hospitality was extra ordinary. Rooms were nice & spacious, VERY CLEAN. Delicious and healthy food was served and I guess they are conducting cooking classes as well (Cooking is not my cup of tea anyways). I couldnt help mentioning about the hosts Stanley and his wife Jasmin. They were too helpful, very well mannered and excellent people. I just asked them about the places to visit nearby and Stanley enlightened me on all possible information which made me feel very easy to travel around. All in all its a nice place to stay and for the guys who are visiting kochi, please do not hesitate to make this your home away from home. I am damn sure you will not be disappointed!

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Even though we arrived around midnight, Jasmin and Stanley (of Stanley Wilson Tours) welcomed us with what we quickly realized, was characteristic friendliness and care including a late supper (they had to be up at 5 the next morning!). Initially we stayed 2 nights, then went away to Munnar and the backwaters (through Stanley's excellent tour company, see review) and came back for 4 nights.

Our room was clean and comfortable especially because it had a shaded balcony where we could sit and watch the life of the neighborhood: this was a real treat and made us feel quite "at home" (see photo). However, had we wanted it, there was a small communal sitting room with television and a/c. We felt it a real advantage to be a short bus or tuk-tuk ride (or 20 minute walk) away from the over-touristy centre of Fort Cochin; our nights were peaceful.

Every morning and evening, we enjoyed Jasmin's delicious food, each meal closing with wonderfully ripe fruit, and although we didn't take cooking lessons Jasmin was ever ready to describe the ingredients and spices.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bad Kissingen, Germany
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Picked up at Rajah Island from a driver of Mr. Stanley Wilson and getting to a very nice, comfortable Jasmin Villa, Fort Cochin the house and homestay of Staney and his lovely wife Jasmin.
From the first momemt we feel at home, sheltered and welcome. Stanley was so helpfull to us,
organizing many things for us and what ever we need he helped us. My girlfriend got a very bad cold and Jasmin takes care for her with fresh fruit juices, steams and took her to a doctor. And the Kerala food, Jasmin is cooking fresh every day was the best we ever eat in Kerala. So lovely and wonderful and delicious. We will try to cook it at home.
The rooms are lovely and clean and from the Jasmin villa you can reach downtown by bus in a few minutes and you also can walk.
If you are looking for a wonderful, familiar homestay and if you like best homecooked Kerala food stay at Jasmin Villa. You also can book a cooking lesson with Jasmin. I will do it every time when staying in Cochin.
Jasmin and Stanley thank you so much for your support, your kindness and for making us feel comfortable. Ilona

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends