“I just need a shower!”
Review of Hotel Victory Dawn

Hotel Victory Dawn
Ranked #98 of 205 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Hong Kong
“I just need a shower!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I admit I didn't arrive in a great frame of mind after a very drawn-out journey from Mumbai. This may sound strange, but I found the rooms really too large for one person and the whole place had a bit of a creepy vibe for me as a stressed-out solo traveller. I couldn't help thinking it'd make a great set for a spooky movie. This had nothing at all to do with the staff, who were very nice and helpful. The location is good and the heritage building is attractive and well maintained. The hotel is nicely furnished and decorated tastefully. If enormous rooms get you excited, then you'll love this place. Another plus is that the bathrooms are very clean and modern.
However, I don't think it's too much to expect a working shower when paying a reasonable amount for the room. I left after one night when the shower issue wasn't resolved by the following morning...as in, I can't wash under a tiny trickle of water.
I do want to mention that the owner of the hotel very graciously resolved the issue by offering me a room at their more expensive partner hotel for the same rate, I was really glad to move on from this place.

Room Tip: Check to see if the showers are in working order as soon as you arrive! I waited till after dinner a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My friend and I stayed 3 nights in early December. Our room was spacious and clean with a large en-suite, fresh cotton sheets and towels every day and comfortable beds. The shower was hot and efficient. There was air conditioning which we used in the daytime and a fan at night. There are comfortable seating areas both up and downstairs. The staff were wonderful and did everything they could to make our stay pleasant. We booked the backwater cruise through the hotel and it was good value and a wonderful experience. The restaurant the hotel recommended just down the lane was fantastic and there is another inexpensive restaurant nearby called Ocean View which is portugese and the food and atmosphere was great. The hotel is in a quiet location yet near all the main sites and we enjoyed the art cafe's. The handicrafts and spices are much cheaper near the hotel than in the main town. I would book this hotel again for a short stay. For a longer stay I would choose a hotel with a swimming pool and sunbathing area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Farthing_12
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel. It is a grand old building, as a lot in the area are, and very close to the main tourist area. However, as helpful as the staff tried to be, things were lacking: No hot water in the bathroom sink (I was told by the maintenance man it did not run hot water); the shower alternately ran hot then cool, a burst of water for a short while then drying up to a trickle for some time then running again. No in-room tea and coffee and no access to an outside telephone line from my room, so I was told. Other than these issues the room was clean and the hotel was nicely appointed and quiet, the staff always friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
N. Ireland
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The rooms were large & adequately furnished and the AC kept us comfortable. For the price we paid the hotel was very good.
Breakfasts were uninspiring with no choice. A plate of fruit, an omlette and some toast & jam.
It was well situated, close to very good restaurants and within easy walking distance of the Chinese fishing nets.
We were early arriving and asked for some tea while we waited for our room to be prepared as we had just arrived after a long flight from Dublin/Dubai. We were charged IRs70 - the most expensive cup of tea we were to have the pleasure of drinking! There was no free water supplied in the room but a bottle at a high price - we bought one outside. All other hotels provided water!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have more light
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in Nov 2012. Bedrooms were spacious and clean, bathrooms were huge with very hot water. Our room also had TV with wide choice of channels and mini fridge.
Good selection of breakfast options with plenty of good tasting food. Great location by the parade ground, easy to navigate around Fort Cochin from here.
Receptionist very helpful and although no wifi, computer and internet were available on the 1st floor.
Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Algarve, Portugal
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Victory Dawn a great place to stay in Fort Cochi. Small clean no frills B & B. Vashant receptionist is most helpful but beware of his taxi service. Rooms are all large, with nice wooden floors and AC but make sure you are on the first floor. Copious breakfasts with an opportunity to have keralan breakfast on request. Plenty of delicious fruit served including Papaya from their back garden. Convenient location for visiting all there is to see and shop in Fort Cochi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New Zealand
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We are just back in New Zealand after a wonderful stay at the Hotel Victory Dawn. We were a party of six adults and we had this lovely home all to ourselves in late August. The staff were so friendly and helpful, the breakfast lovely and our rooms very large and comfortable. I loved it and would encourage you all to visit.

Room Tip: All rooms were great and this was a quiet area but close to the shopping and restaurant district
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends