“Clean, great food, lovely family”

Lazar Residency Homestay
Ranked #22 of 430 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Clean, great food, lovely family”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at Lazar for 4 nights and, although I was ill for all of my stay in Cochin, I was well looked after and had an otherwise excellent stay. The room was immaculately clean and nicely decorated, everything worked well (shower, toilet, AC etc.). The homestay is in a pretty good location within Fort Cochin as it is certainly within walking distance of the Fishing Nets and other attractions, as well as restaurants. I would certainly recommend Lazar and hope to stay there again when I return to India!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bangalore
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed with my friend for 2days and it was best homestay which I would say. Place is quite and neighborhood was good. Room was perfectly clean and it was very comfortable. It was a monsoon season but trip was really good. Joy was really friendly and he help me a lot to know about the city. He helped to hire a bike and he came to pick me up in the night, which I rarely find good people do that. Thanks for the short walk around the city.

I enjoyed the trip and also the homestay. Very lovely.

Room Tip: Room with Balcony was really good
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Knightfox_traveller
Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

Great value Homestay in a safe quiet alley way about 5/10 minute walk away from restaurants, or a two minute rickshaw ride. Very friendly owners, who were happy to help us with anything we needed. Breakfast was included but we chose no breakfast for a lower price. The room and bathroom were very clean and airy, and it led onto a small sitting area where you could get wifi which was a bit temperamental but it is everywhere in India!

Bring a torch because the road can get dark at night and during the half an hour power cuts which occur every evening. Would also recommend Dahl Roti restaurant for dinner and Kashi Cafe for breakfast.

Overall, one of the best value places we stayed in India - would recommend.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Globerunner90
Pattaya
Reviewed April 10, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for four nights recently and were glad we did. We were both feeling unwell and tired on arrival but hosts Joy and Jaicy were very welcoming and supportive. The bedroom was very clean, the bed comfortable and the A/C was quiet. The bathroom was also very clean. I didn't get hot water from the shower but I believe this was because I didn't ask how to do so (it was refreshing as it was anyway). The location in a quiet little road was convenient for sightseeing and I also enjoyed watching everyday life going on from the comfort of my balcony. The Kerala-style breakfasts were very good and I just wish my friend and I had had better appetites to enjoy them more. We thought the rates here were very reasonable and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Peter M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We had a very nice time at the Lazar Residency Homestay. Joy and Jaicy were wonderful hosts, and it was a great opportunity to stay with a family in a real neighborhood in Kochi.

We booked the AC room -- which was nice and clean, and had a private bathroom (equipped with toilet paper and western towels, along with good AC and internet). Ask beforehand for help with the instant waterheater.

This was everything you could ask for, especially given the price. The family was warm and welcoming, and served a traditional South Indian breakfast each morning (in massive quantities). And their home is located in a nice residential area, but very accessible to tourist locations and rickshaws, and a few fancy restaurants a very short walk away. Joy even gave us a map and a business card with directions upon arrival. We also met several interesting guests -- including some of whom seem to be regulars for years running.

All in all, this was a great place to spend time in Kochi.

Room Tip: The A/C room was very comfortable!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield, England
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed at the Lazar Residency for 2 nights in January 2012. Situated down a quite side street it is located very close to Santa Cruz Basillica and not too far out of the main centre.

Our double room was very clean and comfortable with both a fan and air conditioning. We had a nice spacious bathroom which was also very clean. The bedroom was located off a communal sitting / dining room which was very comfortable.

Our hosts were excellent and they even prepared a delicious meal for us as the local restaurants were not open mid afternoon when we arrived. The Indian Breakfast was also excellent, different each day and very tasty.

They will organize laundry for you at a very reasonable price and give good advice about restaurants, shows and general tourist information.

Excellent value for money homestay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stayed for two nights in February 2012. The place is located in a quiet neighbourhood just a short walk from the major tourist spots and has a very homely atmosphere. I took the single room which was spacious, clean, and cosily furnished. Joy and Jaicy made me feel very comfortable, and Joy helped to arrange a reasonable airport pickup (I arrived very late at night) and Kathakali tickets. Jaicy's Keralan breakfasts are simple yet very tasty. It was a lovely place to ease into my trip in Kerala, and I would certainly recommend Lazar Residency.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo