“The best home stay”

Maison Casero Home Stay
Ranked #48 of 480 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2012

In the beginning I choose Maison Casero for its beautiful curtain photos
on the internet and merely plan to stay only one day.
However, after I enter Maison Casero, I change all my original traveling plans
and decide to stay here for the rest of my holiday.

Maison Casero is more than a living place; it is actually a home for me.
The host with the entire family (father, mother, and two lovely daughters)
provide me lots of practical tourism information,
arrange the valuable Backwaters tour for me,
find the local unique herb shop that I am looking for,
teach me how to wear the Indian dress,
make the most tasty breakfast for me in the morning,
share the Indian religion and art culture with me, etc.

This is my first time to visit Fort Cochin and India.
Because of Maison Casero, I fall in love with this city.
I really appreciate and cherish all the wonderful experiences here.
And I will be back soon!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JoyceWeng

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Great home stay - was our first stop in India and a great start to our trip. Excellent value for money and an exceptionally accommodating and lovely family. Internet, theatre tickets etc are all available, breakfast was included and consisted of continental breakfast one day and traditional keralan breakfast another(delicious!). Room was very clean, and there is a balcony outside to have breakfast on, which is lovely. Our flight arrived late at night, we were picked up from the hotel and looked after - Priya even rustled us up a late night meal. Nice location and delightful place to stay, highly recommended! Best welcome we've had in India so far and an excellent choice!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank xeve7
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I am glad to see so many positive reviews of this wonderful homestay. I stayed with friends in October 2011 and we could not believe our luck. Priya and her husband (and lovely 2 daughters) go out of their way to accommodate your stay. The food was delicious, I only wished we had taken Priya up on her cooking classes! The location is perfect for your stay in Fort Cochin. After a whirlwind tour of North India we found the calmness and tranquility of Maison Casero and Fort Cochin very welcome!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank CatherineBoston
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I found the guesthouse by chance, and inmediately felt at home. Priya, her husband, and the lovely girls welcome you to their very comfortable and well maintained house.
I stayed in an a/c room, with a spotless bathroom. I had never seen such clean floors in all my Indian travels. The breakfast was tasty, and fullfilling. Every day we got introduced a new local specialities, and the nice flower filled terrace and shaded balcony made you want to linger there and just watch the local neighbourhood happenings all day.
highly recommended.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed April 15, 2012

The room was very clean and comfortable. The traditional kerelan style breakfast every day was fantastic and a real highlight. The location was great, easy to walk everywhere and in a quiet residential area. The owners were really lovely and made you feel right at home. They gave you the newspaper every morning and lots of travel assistance. Only downside was due to the very hot weather in April - the fan wasn't as effective as you would like and the area was prone to frequent blackouts.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2012

In the end, I was disappointed that I had only chosen to stay three nights in Fort Cochin. The accommodation is conveniently located close to Santa Cruz Basilica and since Fort Cochin is such a small place to explore, everything is within walking distance.

I received a very warm welcome by Priya and her two daughters. While Priya and I chatted away, I was served some delicious food which is just what I needed after an 8 hrs long journey. The location just suited me perfectly as I visited the Kerala Kathakali Theatre just across the road on the three evenings. You can book your tickets for performances at the Home Stay for the same price you would pay at the theatre.

Jaison and Priya did their best to make me feel at home. I enjoyed the spacious bath room, big bed and balcony where breakfast is served. Priya made an effort to adjust to my diet by preparing porridge instead of what I believe must have been a typical Keralan breakfast on the first day.

My room was very clean, but the shower just in front of the toilet seat was less handy as the water went everywhere and you couldn't use the wet toilet for a while. But then again... the bathroom architecture is something that is not very well thought through in India, so it's a question of getting used to it.

If I went back to Fort Cochin, I would love to stay at Maison Casero again. It well deserves its five stars.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying with Priya, Jaison and their two daughters and had a fabulous time. I was really treated as one of the family with them going out of their way to look after me and help me wherever it was needed. I did a wonderful cookery class with Priya learning a few Keralan dishes which were delicious, and then we ate as a family on the candlelit roof. I had many interesting conversations with Priya about India life and culture and would fully recommend staying here. I was alone but certainly not lonely. My only warning is you may get fat from the abundance of amazing food!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo