“Great location. Fantastic experience”
Review of The Senate Hotel

The Senate Hotel
Ranked #100 of 205 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
“Great location. Fantastic experience”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Thanks a million to all at The Senate for looking after us during our visit.

The hotel is located at the top end of M.G Road, the business district and is a convenient distance spot to explore the city.

The staff were exceptionally efficient and courteous and the owner (a gentle giant, he) made sure that we were looked after properly.

The rooms are great and the best in class for the price point. They are clean and beds are great. Food in the restaurant (Zaika, i think it's called) was good and again, the restaurant was well staffed.

I know where I will stay the next time I'm in Kochi!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Thevarakkaran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 10, 2013

although this is a business hotel, my husband and i chose this hotel for a family holiday. we were two youngsters with three elderly people ie my father, father in law and mother in law, hence we were quite disinterested in booking a resort with a pool and other facilities as half of us were never going to use it and anyway we planned to stay out sightseeing the whole day. although we had heard and i had experienced for myself on my last trip to kerala about the terrible mallayali hospitality, this time around it was absolutely different. the rooms were very clean, prompt room service and clean, sterile, uncluttered design of the rooms made for a pleasant stay. although the housekeeping staff many times would forget to replace the used soaps, toiletteries and shower caps in the bathroom, the towels would always be freshly replaced and the toilet thoroughly cleaned.
the location is to die for! its bang in the middle of the city, right on MG road. everything you would ever want is nearby. 15 mins walk to the marine drive, tommy hilfiger to fcuk right on the opposite street. a plethora of restaurants to choose from sprinkled all around the area.
the hotel has a restaurant within named zaika. it has a really good buffet every day 3 times a day and really cheap(just 250 INR) but the dishes can get a little repeatative and boring over time.
the best part of the hotel is its manager Mr Jose. an ever smiling and always happy to help person would get everything arranged for you on request, from wifi internet to taxi and tour package.
stayed here for 4 days and had a very good stay. totally value for money.not good for people who expect the world, but good for people who expect the basics.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank freakyhappytraveller
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I had done booking from makemytrip and got a nice deal. I went with my family and stayed there for 4 N. The rooms were clean and tidy. Despite on MG Road, it was very quite and peaceful. The hotel had centralized A/C and was good too. The best part is the staff they were prompt and very helpful from security to waiter. I would also like to mention the efforts taken by the Manager Mr. Jose who was very helpful in planning our tour and also gave us a fair deal. He also made sure we get the best service in the entire trip. Even the owner was a nice gentlemen. Food is good in Zaika ( the hotel restaurent) but the breakfast becomes bit boring after 2 days since it is repeated. I guess thats the same with most of restaurents. Internet surfing is free but Wifi is weak on 5th floor so if you like getting connected 24/7 please mention that to the manager while checkin, he will surely make provisions for the same.
The amenities like gym,spa,garden and swimming pool is missing but I have seen in tours we hardly use them since we are out of the hotel for most of the day.
Overall I would rate this hotel and service excellent in terms of money as well as customer service.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Adnyesh
Kalimpong, India
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at Senate during our trip to cochin last week and I am happy to say that the experience was very good. I was apprehensive about booking the hotel afterreading some reviews, but thankfully our stay was uneventful.

Positives:

1.Location, Location, Location. If you are staying in Kochi on a budget, then this is the most VFM place.

2. Excellent reception staff , helped us with getting better deals on stay in Munnar than our travelk agent. Although they didnt speak excellent english , It was good enough to help us.

3. I had forgotten my charger at the hotel when I left , but they couriered it to my home address free of charge. I was pleasantly surprised at this!!.

Negative:

1. Car parking is small , but then I wouldnt recommend driving your car in Kerala roads.

2. Although food was OK, I would recommend asking at the reception for good dinner options in the city.

verdict: There are better hotels elsewhere in Kochi, but I felt for the price and location , Senate was as VFM as it gets.

Room Tip: Mention at the reception that good wifi network is your main requirement.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Salahudin_13
Noida, India
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Terrible room service. Asked dinner at 8 and got delivery at 10 without water. No drinking water available at whole hotel. Even receptionist didn't know how to communicate in English. Not recommended for anyone. Got booking thru MakeMyTrip. Worst experience.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Sehgaljps
Burlington
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We booked this place through makemytrip. We get there and they try to tell us that they don't have a room for us, although we have confirmation that we paid and have a reservation. We explain what we want to do and they get us a driver. The driver has his own agenda and doesn't listen to us. We also need a driver for the following day and we stress over and over that we want a driver that speaks English, this shouldn't be a problem since they tell us that 95% of the people speak English. Strike 3, the driver knows the words "no problem", but that is about it. We take a car on a trip that is supposed to take 6 hours, based on what the hotel tells us. We leave at 10am and get there around 830pm at night. So we wasted our day in the car. The night we do stay in the hotel, the power goes out. Not sure what they were doing to fix it, but there is a noise that sounds like a train on the other side of our wall throughout the night, so it's nearly impossible to fall asleep. I would complain to someone, but the people that are there, don't speak English and no one answers the phone when I call the front desk. I doubt I will ever be going back to India, but if I do, I will stay very far away from this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Rooms were great with satellite tv, comfortable beds, clean bathroom, and good quality fittings. Free newspaper in the morning and breakfast and lunch buffet had great variety. wifi didn't work in rooms, and staff were over attentive (not in a good way). They hadn't received our online booking when we got there and ddnt seem too phased - not the service you expect after a 20hr train ride. Not a good location, you have to catch rickshaw everywhere or walk at least 20mins in sun. In my opinion it was severely overpriced... i wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012