“Kochi - Reds Residency - Wonderful family homestay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Reds Residency Homestay

Reds Residency Homestay
Ranked #38 of 425 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Gateshead, England
“Kochi - Reds Residency - Wonderful family homestay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at the Reds Residency for one night in April and have to say the whole set up is wonderful. The access to the rooms area and the rooms themselves are spotless with all the facilities you could ask for and it is kept extremely clean. The host gave us a run through of the facilities and the highlights in town when we arrived and made some superb recommendations which we were pleased to follow. Breakfast was delightful and when we left we were organised some very tasty snacks to take with us. This is a great place to stay. It is within walking distance of the sights and the centre of town and has a great atmosphere with it. We met other guests who stayed there and everyone seemed to feel the relaxed ambience was just right. I would have no issue in recommending this place to anyone and we found it because my sister in law, who was with us, had stayed there two years earlier. She was right to return.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be accessed from the same internal corridor/breakfast area on the first floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed in Reds Residency for 1 night with my family. I got two AC rooms in very reasonable rate. Rooms were in excellent condition, well maintained and clean. Breakfast (even though it was served in the morning, I would call it a brunch rather than breakfast) served there was tasty. Only thing is they don't serve dinner for vegetarian people. If you have your own vehicle, you can find veg hotels nearby. Hosts Mr. Philip D’souza and Mrs. Maryann D’souza were very helpful. I would certainly recomend this place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NSW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Reds Residency is a homestay located 15-20 minutes walk from the centre of Fort Kochi (US$1 for a rickshaw). We stayed 2 nights in a deluxe airconditioned room.

The homestay is owned and run by Philip and Maryann who are two of the most friendly, helpful, B&B owners you are ever likely to encounter. They are willing to offer any assistance you may want. When I was having trouble finding anyone in Air India to consult with about a flight refund I was due Philip took over and found out what I had to do, which I subsequently did and I now have my refund. Thank you Philip.

My understanding is that Reds Residency comprises 6 accommodations of varying standards – 2 on the ground floor, 3 on the first floor, and a self-contained family unit on the top floor. Prices vary according to the standard of room selected. Our accommodation was part of a package so I’m not sure of the specific room cost but from research on the internet I suspect it was $US25 – US$30 per night. If so it was outstanding value.

Our room was clean and comfortable with two beds pushed together to make a double. The room was a fair size with ceiling fan and A/C. And yes, the view from the window was uninspiring (as others have complained about) but this is a homestay in a residential area in India – what do you expect, you fools! The ensuite bathroom functioned satisfactorily (note there are no complimentary toiletries so bring your own). Apart from some voices drifting up from the surrounding neighbours our room was relatively quiet with no street noise (we had the third room along the corridor away from the street front - I suspect street noise may be more of an issue as you get closer to the front of the building). Free wifi was available in the room and functioned satisfactorily. A delicious complimentary breakfast was served each morning. Bottled water can be purchased from the residency or just buy a couple of large bottles from the convenience store in Fort Kochi (very cheap) and bring back.

The 3 rooms on the second floor face a common area that stretches the length of the house. Meals are served here. There is also a refrigerator, crockery, cutlery, a toaster, tea/coffee and a couple of lounging chairs. A bookcase is well stocked with travel guides and books to read. This common area opens onto a small balcony overlooking the street, a nice place to sit with cold beer in hand (which I had to buy from a bar in Fort Kochi and bring back – very hard to find otherwise) and read or watch the passing parade. This common area may present some noise issues if the residency is fully occupied but we were the only guests there during our stay and we had no problems.

We did not find any serious faults with Reds Residency during our stay. Location may be an issue for people who want to be in the thick of things. The one thing I did find strange was that although tea/coffee was available in the common area there was no jug or kettle for boiling water. To get hot water we had to ask the housekeeper and he/she would go to the family quarters and later come back with a thermos of hot water. Once when I could not find the housekeeper I knocked on the door of the family quarters to be ‘welcomed’ by an unsmiling, unfriendly old lady who told me to speak to the housekeeper when I told her what I wanted. She reluctantly relented when I said I couldn’t find the housekeeper. Whilst she should have perhaps been a little more welcoming to a guest of the house on the other hand I could understand her annoyance at having been disturbed. Also, breakfast wasn’t served until 8:30am whereas we were waking at 6:30am – not wanting to disturb anyone to get hot water we had to wait 2 hours before we could have a cup of tea! A small 1 or 2 cup kettle in the common room would overcome these issues (Philip told me they did have a kettle in the common room at one time but it was being ‘misused’ so he took it away – he didn’t elaborate what he meant by ‘misused’).

I don’t think you could get a better match of quality and value for a homestay than what Reds Residency provided to my wife and I and on that basis I have given it 5 stars.

Room Tip: The deluxe a/c room furtherest away from the street on the first floor would probably be the quietes...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in Feb and would happily have stayed longer if we had had time! Very clean room and bathroom, lovely garden for relaxing in. Also a great communal area and balcony for breakfast, good spot for meeting other travellers. Only a short walk from the restaurants and attractions of Fort Kochin. Maryann and Phillip are incredibly welcoming and hospitable. Both took time out to sit with us and tell us all the best places to go and see, where to eat and how to get there! This homestay comes highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights. The room was good size, very clean, AC worked well. The hosts were superb, very helpful, friendly and welcoming. There was a very nice communal lounge, which is something of a rarity in India. Breakfast was excellent too. Only very minor grumbles were the internet was slow and didn't work in the rooms. This place is about a 15 min walk from all the restaurants, but it's a nice walk and this didn't bother us. Would definitely recommend and if we return to Cochin, we are going straight to Reds.

• Stayed March 2013
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

The room is over the standard of homestay and great value for money.I love their lovely garden, great breakfast and especially the passion from the owner. Philip and Maryann are the most kindly couples I have ever seen in India. They always offer the guests all kinds of information in fort cochin even Kelara province. I stay with them for one week and feel like good friends for each other. You must try the traditional kelara cuisine in there and you can also learn how to cook in india way in their kitchen. You can enjoy the quiet environment nearby and rent a bike to see around fort cochin. Thanks for everyone in reds residency and see you soon in the near future
非常感謝Philip 與 Maryann夫婦在我住在 reds residency 這段期間的照顧,非常還念他們熱情的旅遊諮詢,教導我燒印度菜,煮一壺印度好茶與了解許多印度Kelara的文化風土民情,才剛回來我已經忍不住計畫下一次行程。

Room Tip: You can choice the only suite room in roof top, enjoy the quiet , independent and huge space
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Maryann and Phillip very very helpful! Felt I had to give it a 4 on the rooms, just to make my review credible. Only good things to say about this lovely homestay located in a charming area, nice balcony looking over the navy soldiers, atmosphere relaxed, homemade breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013