“Excellent place to stay in Kochi”

Reds Residency Homestay
Ranked #38 of 430 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Brighton
“Excellent place to stay in Kochi”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This was my second trip to India, and we found Reds Residency to be the best place to stay when in Kochi!. Maryann, Philip and Melissa were wonderful,excellent hosts and were incredibly warm and friendly. They were really helpful with anything we required, and gave us good advice on where to shop, sights to see and places to eat. Themselves and the staff really work hard to ensure you enjoy your stay, and Maryann's cooked Indian breakfasts are an absolute must!. The rooms are lovely,clean and comfortable and the overall feeling you experience is one of staying with friends, instead of a guesthouse.

We would strongly recommend Reds Residency to anyone, and next time I am in Kochi theirs will be the first number i call when looking for somewhere to stay. If you want to stay somewhere where you are well looked after, can relax and have a conversation, and really learn something about India, I can't think of anywhere better.

Room Tip: All rooms are good!.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
REDSFORT, Owner at Reds Residency Homestay, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Thank you for your review, your words of encouragement is just what keeps us goings and we receive the much needed boost to help us strive harder to reach perfection.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Exeter
Reviewed April 24, 2012

This was my first trip to India and I stayed at Reds Residency for the majority of my month long visit to Kerela. Maryann, Philip and family are excellent hosts, with a genuine warm welcome, able to relate well with visitors from any country. Together with the friendly staff, they work hard to ensure that all visitors' individual needs and wants are met effectively. I stayed in all three types of accommodation, and all were clean, comfortable and well-equipped. I found that the location was ideal being just far enough from town, with the tourist centre just a short walk. Overall, staying at Reds Residency ensured that I had an excellent introduction to life in India.

Room Tip: All excellent, cottage is great for couples.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank daniel_wainwright
Toronto
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was a great homestay, MaryAnn takes care of everything for you. She found us a great cooking class and arranged for her husband to drive us to the airport shuttle when we were running late. She'll sit you down when you arrive and take you through a map of the city and point out all the best spots. The rooms are nice and clean and fresh. One downfall - its across the street from the Fort and we woke up one morning to target practice.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We received a very warm welcome at this guesthouse in Cochin, situated 15 mins walk from the town. The room was clean, large bathroom, cable tv and a very comfortable bed. The family speak excellent English and are very helpful with organizing transport and recommending places to eat and visit. They have wifi.
We had tea on arrival and fresh juices before we left again in the morning. We found Cochin expensive after our time in Varkala, however enjoyed our stay here immensely.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I spent my first night in India at Maryann's and Philip's place, then took some days around in Kerala, and came back on my last day at their place. I enjoyed the stay at Reds Residency. I got two different rooms, both very clean, both with AC. Maryann served great food at breakfast and tea times, and provided me with plenty of advices to make my stay wonderful.
I really like the atmosphere and hospitality and recommend that place if you plan to stay in Fort Cochin.

Kochi
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Do to the fact that not all `Home Stay` residencies in the Province of Kerale - or in Fort Kochi for that matter - are referring to the same hi standard of room condition and service, I find it most relevant to put in a few word for Reds Residency in Fort Kochi / Cohin.
I’ve stayed in this residence - owned and carefully run by the extremely nice and informative plus very helpful English speaking couple, Philip and Mary Ann – for two periods, 11 days in total.
From my first arrival – with a noisy taxi driver at half past four o’clock in the morning – I felt welcome.
The rooms including the integrated bathrooms are exactly like you want rooms in India to be – big ones with high sealing and all equipped with a fan, air-condition and very comfortable beds.
The Reds do have my full respect, and should I ever return to Fort Kochi / Cohin I would not hesitate to give them a call and ask for one of their nicely decorated beautiful rooms.

Tage Seier Mikkelsen
Denmark

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We Indians are yet to catch on to the culture of staying at homestays than those highly overpriced luxury hotels :) I love homestays basically because it so warm to have like minded people around, curious tourists and lovely hosts. Reds Residency happened by chance, I chose the place for my two day stay in Fort Kochi and I must tell you that I would stay there everytime I revisit the city. Maryann is already a close friend and I have shared life's big secrets with her already :) She is lovely and makes you feel like one in the family. The hosts are extremely caring and do not invade your privacy. They are also very cool about the tariffs as I stayed for one and a half day and they cancelled a booking just for me. Usually I would end up paying for two days but I paid up only for one and a half day. Maryann makes sure you are fed well :) and really pampers you. She is your perfect guide to the city and you won't get a more vibrant one. The rooms are spick and span, modest and comfortable. It is also pretty close to all places in Fort Kochi, you wont have a problem going around. I didn't have the food but I can vouch that it would have been real good going with the standards they maintain. So if you are in Fort Kochi..go to Reds Residency.

2 Thank LekshmiNair