“Clean and Simple”

Ranked #3 of 430 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Clean and Simple”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Basic, but comfortable (and, quiet), accommodation within a short walk to local sights, shops and restaurants. The hosts are very communicative and helpful in making bookings, as well as setting up transport and what-not. Fast internet too!

Room Tip: Specify A/C or non-A/C (fan only) when you book. The A/C room I stayed in is accessible through a c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank halliejean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very cheap, clean and comfortable. hard to find but George and Gini will arrange transport o there home for you from the airport. They were very helpful generally and are building more rooms for the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Deadhead52
Aylesbury
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Bastian and Gini are extremely helpful and this Homestay is really excellent value for money. The rooms are very clean and pretty well equipped. The breakfast is very good with fruit, eggs and toast. She offered to cook us a vegetarian meal on our arrival but we decided to explore Cochin's restaurants.
A very pleasant experience and thoroughly recommended as excellent value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Elizabeth J
Reviewed February 17, 2013

When I first looked for a place to stay in Fort Cochin I wasn't sure what I was looking for, but after reading the reviews I decided on spending a week here. It absolutely lived up to my expectations. I was traveling alone, so the location was great considering I didn't have to walk very far to neither shops nor sights.

The day I arrived they had a driver picking me up at Cochin airport and I was brought straight to my room which was perfectly clean with all amenities. Most days I had a continental breakfast, and the scrambled eggs were divine, also the pinapple juice was freshly squeezed and delicious. They were also very helpful with booking of backwater and such. My only complain, although insignificant were the absence of Air Condition. Though I had a fan, and it functioned very well, it might have been my own mistake for not checking my booking thoroughly.

Over all a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Irmageli
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Bastian homestay is an absoluteley subliem place. After onze week we decided to stay here the whole time that we were ging to spend in India. What we found here was as a home to us and the Bastian family did everything to make us feel comftable. We mostly took a Kerala breakfast after we had coffee to wake up. The rooms are one hundred percent clean and the beds are comftable. All practical householdwork is done, like laundry and cleaning etc. Of other possebility's I took every week a cooking class. Gini our landlady is a great Cook besides of a variety of kerala breakfast she offers the possibility to serve a continental breakfast. Every morning there is fresh pineapple and bananas. Before we came here we didn't know that life could be that perfect as it was here. We are verry greatfull that fate has brought us here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mike192267
United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was in Kerala on a photographic holiday, travelling all over with a group of like minded people, staying at some very good four star hotels, and having three meals a day. When this excellent part of the holiday finished in Cochin, I decided to stay an extra week just to 'chill-out'. I wanted somewhere quiet and friendly. Somewhere I could relax and doing nothing, or go sight-seeing if I wanted to.
Bastian Homestay is situated in a labyrinth of back streets but ideal for walking to the town centre, or beaches. George and Gini, and their two children were very welcoming, and nothing was too much trouble. Although they only cook breakfast, which is great, they will organise meals to be delivered from an excellent Chinese restaurant.
Rooms are basic of course for the price, but have all you need for a couple of nights, or a week. A/C is either an electric ceiling fan, which is not always adequate in very hot months, but some rooms also have wall A/c's, so do ask for them if preferred.
If you want true Indian home-life, then Bastian Homestay is a great experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank DavidBalaam
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Good place to stay in Cochin. Super clean, friendly owners, great hospitality!
The only thing that it is not located in the city centre, you will have to walk around 10 min or pay 30rp to rikshaw driver :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple