“Clean & friendly”
Review of Heavenly Home Stay

Heavenly Home Stay
Ranked #3 of 447 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 1, 2012

All homestays should be like this. The room has everything that you need , it was spotlessly clean and very good value, the home cooked breakfast was exceptional and the homestay was run by a family that cannot do enough to make your trip memorable.

• Stayed: November 2012
There are newer reviews for Heavenly Home Stay

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have just returned to the U.K. after spending 15 nights with Patrick and his family.
After having read the reviews of Heavenly Homestay prior to my own experience, it is challenging to better what has already been said.
A whole variety of guests of Patrick and Mary have used a whole range of appropriate superlatives to describe the Homestay which is Heavenly.
The only way I can think of helping any future visitor to this Mackenzie Gardens location is to give a brief insight into my personal encounter with this magical place.
As a slightly more experienced traveler, who cannot abide the traditional tourist traps of organised groups, I wanted to be part of something different, something that would enable me to become involved in the day-to-day lives of an alternative culture and to observe how people deal with the demands of daily life.
Patrick and his family more than exceeded my expectations. He was only too pleased to show me the domestic life of Cochin and what a pleasure it was to be able to eat and discuss daily life with the residents of this part of Kerala.
On top his, Patrick introduced me to the Sailing Club of Cochin, which is situated only 20 km from Heavenly Homestay on a beautiful backwater. To crew on a catamaran, observing local fishermen and delighting in the natural wonders of flying fish has to be experienced to be believed. I was the only guest and the club is one of Cochin’s secrets which Patrick is only too pleased to unlock.
Another event was the time Patrick took me to meet his brother-in-law, a local fisherman. After being introduced to the family, sharing a meal, we then set off (unexpectedly) in a three man canoe and paddled around the backwaters. We stopped off for a drink of Toddy and then resumed our excursion. Memorable!
I cannot recommend Heavenly Homestay highly enough. Patrick and Mary could easily charge double for their services. Staying with them has changed my life and given me an incredible, unique insight into a foreign culture. Staying at Heavenly Homestay is a real homestay experience. I met many fellow travellers, who after visiting the accommodation were blown away, especially when comparing it to the ‘homestays’ in which they were staying.
Please feel free to contact me at peterboasman@hotmail.com if you need any more information.

Room Tip: Both rooms are fantastic!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Heavenly_Uncle
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This really is an excellent homestay. It raises the level of comfort and care to new levels.
The proprietors Patrick, his wife Mary and their two very talented and friendly daughters made our stay memorable. Our last evening was on a Sunday and Mary cooked the most wonderful chicken biriani for all her guests and family. We shared good food sand good conversation in true homestay style.
The comfort of our room was beyond expectation, scrupulously clean and everything needed close at hand.
Well done Patrick and Mary, you have set the trend for others to follow.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Originally, I tried to book for 5 nights, but unfortunately, the later 3 days were fully booked, so we only stayed 2 nights there.

Our trained from Bangalore has arrived around 6 am to Eranakulam Station (Cochin), we arrived heavenly home stay around 6:30 am, the room wasn't settled yet, so the hosts Mary and Patrick let us rest and shower in their daughters' room until 10:30 am when our room was ready. This was a very kind and nice gesture, as it was only 6:30 am, I believed the girls were still sleepy.

The room really got the "wow factor", it really reaches the standard of 5 star hotel. It is spotless clean, with AC and fan. And we love the modern and cosy decors. The bed is so comfortable and a mosquito repellent is also suplied. the downstair room has also got a beautiful private entrance if you have to go home late or need some privacy.

The breakfast is so good!!! Huge portion, tasty and included in the room rate. Mary cooked all that by herself before she goes to work every morning. Everyday, the breakfast is different, we have tried: Masala Soda, Idly, appam, Putu, onion egg omelettes, beef stew, fresh pineapple juice, papaya and banana. I swear to god, the breakfast is so nice and filling, you won't need to have any food until dinner time.

Patrick was very helpful, when he had time, he always drove us around the places in Fort Cochin, when we got lost, he came to pick us up immediately. He also arranged tour packages for us with local prices, for example: Kathakali, a car to Periyar tiger reserve, back water trip and etc.......

The last 3 nights, Heavenly homestay was fully booked and we had no where to stay, Patrick has arranged us to stay with his friend, also a nice and clean room with AC and reasonable price.

We highly recommend Heavenly home stay, and the hospitality of Mary and Patrick made us feel like home!!!!!

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms, we stayed in the downstair room which is 5 star standard. Make sure you book...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Having spent 15 days on the road in a tour of the south , we were really looking forward to our stay here ,and were so glad we did. We had the downstairs room which was spotlessly clean , had aircon , ceiling fan , shower with plenty of hot water and wi-fi . The downstairs room has TWO entrances , one , which can be reached via a small road that takes you round to the back of the house and the other through the familys living area . We chose to use the living area one , which brought us into contact with the family more often , gettiing to talk to with Patrick and Mary and their daughters regularly ,about Indian life, school etc. This was to us was what a homestay is all about . Having tried to book the upstairs room initially ,on tripadvisors rec,we were so glad we were downstairs , as in the upper we felt it would probably have been a bit detached ,All depends what you want/expect from a homestay.
The breakfast was superb as other writers have stated .
Can recommend Oceanos , for lovely food , very western clientel , also a place called Dosas and pancakes which is over on the Kalvathy road, just past the coastgaurd base , lovely fresh food ,fish in banana leaf :-)) , there is also a very good Kathikali show based there too.
Patrick, Mary and the daughters are lovely people who deserve all the sucsess they are achieving in their venture , we wish them all the very best.
It seems the bookings are coming in fast , book early or be disapointed , we certainly wer'nt..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank somer35
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Heavenly Homestay was my very first stop on my first trip to India. My impressions could not be better. The owners stayed up till late at night to greet me and show me the place. I stayed in the upstairs room- it was very spacious and super clean. There was a fridge and water available, air con, two big ceiling fans and hot shower. Comfy, lovely smelling bed and very quiet surroundings provided me with fantastic sleep. Owners Patrick and Mary met me the next day over delicious breakfast. There was so much food and it was scrumptious. Patrick gave me a lot of useful advice on things to do around Fort Cochin, provided me with tickets to wonderful Kathakali performance and gave me lift to town, showing more places that could be of interest. Over all I had a fantastic two night staay with the family and would probably go back there if I ever go to Cochin again. The room and airport pickup was a little pricy compared to other places I stayed in Kerala. However for the short time and first stop I was very glad with my choice. Thank you Patrick and Mary.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank buddy_boo555
Reviewed October 16, 2012

If it would be possible to give six stars, we would give it to them. We had a fantastic time at Heavenly Homestay with their nice owners. We had the upstairs room, which was very spacious and had a nice shower. The room was very clean. The breakfast was the best breakfast we had so far in India - toast with omelett, nice indian dishes, fresh fruit and pineapple juice! We highly recommend staying with them!

Room Tip: Upstairs room has a private entrance
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple