“Good Experience.”

Dream Catcher Homestay
Bengaluru, India
“Good Experience.”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I was with my Fiancee here for 2 days and it was a good experience. The rooms were good enough for the price and location is also quite nice. One thing to avoid is to take the bus route to reach here, it will take a lot of time from cochin city. Instead take a ferry from marine drive, and you will reach the location in 10-15 mins.

Over all it was great value for money.

Room Tip: Get your own blankets. We never cared to ask either.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had one month vecation , so we planned for a trip to Cochin, Goa & Munnar. One of my hubby's friend suggested Dream Catcher home stay. First we planned to stay there for 2 days and later on we extended our stay for 7 days. Mr. Bernard was a very nice person , The room was very clean and we enjoyed the homely food which was given by Mrs. Bernard. He arranged one day house boat tour in Alleppey , it was a nice trip. He also arranged a trip to Munnar. Thank you Mr. Bernard & family for giving us such a wonderful stay and a memorable trip.. We ll surely come to you for our next visit to Cochin ..Cheers !!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Anjuna, India
Reviewed November 20, 2013

the rooms are nice enough but this lacks the "homestay" feel. the owner seems really full of himself and sees you as a walking dollar sign. it was very uncomfortable dealing with him.

Seems as though his success through being featured in Lonely Planet has gone a bit to his head. there are plenty of nice homestays for much less in Cochin.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Jen V
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start!

The owner, Bernard and his family were fantastic throughout our stay. Bernard is everything that's is great about Cochin; hospitable, polite, helpful and went above and beyond for our 7 day stay, his knowledge of the surrounding area and his honesty would keep me coming back time and time again.

The rooms are clean with bedding, western WC and hot water, mozzie nets worked efficiently, fans in all rooms and AC was available. WiFi was available - I have seen some of the reviews below and they have commented on the WiFi, one need to remember you are in someone's house at a great budget - you are not paying Hilton prices! Wifi was sufficient and worked in our room. Laundry was also available at a cheap price which was much needed after 3 weeks in India.

Bernard's recommendations for eating never disappointed - I would highly recommend the "you buy - we fry" fish stalls on the beach - the Kerrala Cafe was one of the best meals I have ever had - at just over £8 inclusive of the fresh fish was a bargain!!

The Dream Catcher also offers a number of trips that are arranged with a local tour company. We did the day boat trip, the over night trip to Munnar and the overnight house boat in Allapey. If you have some spare change Munnar was breathtaking. The scenery has to be witnessed as no adjectives will do it justice. The houseboat was the perfect way to end our trip to Kerrala. Bernard personally escorted us on the 1 hour drive to Allapey to the houseboat and ensured we were happy with what we had paid for. A truly excellent piece of customer relations/service.

Having travelled around India, the Dream Catcher homestay truly is the best homestay we stayed in. My only apology is to Bernard as it has taken so long to review his perfect property.

We wish the Dreamcatcher all the best and thank them for being a major factor in our truly memorable stay in Kerrala.

Kirstin + Ashley + Mama

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kirstin R
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We've stayed in Kochin for 3 days (intention was only 2). If you arrive late in the afternoon or in the middle of the night don't get scared of a narrow street leading to the homestay :)
Rooms are comfortable and very clean, all that you need. You can take morning brakfast in homestay for just 75R and if you want 5-star service (feeling lazy) they even bring it up to your room.
Family also offers tours & activities: Munnar, backwaters (1 or more days), massage, whole ayurveda & joga therapies if you have the time for it.
Best of all: LOCATION. a few min ride away with tuk-tuk takes you to fery to Vypin Island or Ernakulam (you avid big street jams & crowd; going by car to Ernakulam can take as much as 2h). Fort Kochin sightseeing are all in walking distance or you can take inexpencive tuk-tuk tour).

Room Tip: If you are used to live in Antarctica you can ask for double air-conditioned room to get a fridge co...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GregorSpehar
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My friends and I wanted to go for a south India trip and fort Kochi was there in our list..we wanted a home stay which was close to the beach and affordable. We chose the dream catcher home stay depending on the review..the owner was so good that we didn't have to worry about the stay,food and the site seeing..he took care of everything.his manager,mr.Nicholas was very pleasant and helpful as our guide to see the places.Tips is according to us to give for the outstanding job that a person does FYI nothing comes free..the best part is the rooms are clean ,WiFi availability and very close to the beach.. apt location that we were looking for..i took an individual room in the first floor..cz I needed sunlight early in the morning for yoga..evening with his manager we went to see the site seeing..the beach,Chinese fishing net and the Dutch palace..his manager is a humble guy..you need any suggestions or help please ask him.
affordable ,great hospitality,near to the beach and a clean place what more can you ask for ..i would love to go again but this time definitely with my family..to see the kathakali and the carnival which I missed out.. thanks to mr Bernard and Nicholas for the great hospitality and for the suggestions . Hoping to see you guys soon..

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank denita a
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I did not enjoy my time here at all. The dream catcher website says 'the main living room is downstairs where guests can sit and chat with the family'. Bernard was incredibly rude to me and told me on several occasions to 'go to the balcony' as I was trying to use wifi in the living room at the time. The 'balcony' was a dingy room with no mosquito nets on the windows, no fan and terrible wifi signal.

My room was dirty when I arrived and I had to ask for the bathroom to be cleaned. I only had one mattress and was told the other one would come later. If all of this was done in good spirits with a friendly manner I would not have minded, but I found Bernard to be lazy and uninterested.

I was given a map with general directions of the area which was useful. However, I asked Bernard on several occasions to help me book a flight, to which he replied 'you have Internet on your phone you can do it from there' and then a train ticket to which he said 'you can get one at the station on the day'.

The most unpleasant part of my stay was hearing that Bernard had spoke in a derogatory way about me to a fellow guest. I was disgusted and could not wait to leave.

There are plenty of other places to stay in Fort Cochi where people will behave professionally and respectfully. But this is not one of them.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Skipjack1
dreamcatcheronita, Owner at Dream Catcher Homestay, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hello Dearest guest thank you for your comments and I am giving the reply Your booked my room single bed only when your arrival time was too early and our check in time 12,00, noon and check out 12,oo,noon but one couple check out 10,00. am and i told her you can take that double room in should of single room cost our all room were full tight booking ,I told her after cleaning you can take the double room in single bed cost, She agreed and we clan and give double bed room in should of single bed cost ,
Regarding the WIFI every body taking there room and balcony every where will get the WI FI signals and every body using the wifi balcony and there rooms it self , This particular guest want to do in my sittout and near to the wifi system and she want to talk her boy friend in London till mid night 12,to morning 02am i allowed her to do up to 01,00 AM in my sitt out after one o clock she is not stopping then i said we want to sleep please you may go to balcony and do the wifi ,Then she said i am not getting speed pulse from your wifi i will sit and talk my boy friend here only i said the same answer i want to sleep now the time were 01,00,A M, and i want to close my sittout ground floor door she was staying balcony and balcony will get nice wifi frequency pulse ,Immediately she said i will write to trip advisor i said now is the time morning 01,AM this time also you write ,
ACTUALLY HER BOOKING IS SINGLE ROOM BUT I GAVE HER DOUBLE ROOM AND SHE IS WRITING LIKE THIS OWNER