“WORST RESTAURANT EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD - FOR YOUR OWN SAKE DO NOT GO HERE”

Upstairs Italian Restaurant
Ranked #92 of 1,105 Restaurants in Kochi (Cochin)
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely disgusted, If I could give this restaurant 0 starts I would. I’ve been in Fort Kochi for almost a month now volunteering, I’ve been to many different cafe’s and restaurants and have been treated increadibly well by majority but the treatment I received in this place was absolutely disgusting. Me and a couple other volunteers went out for dinner, the food was okay, not great, but didn’t expect much from an Italian restaurant in India. I was half way through my meal and found 3 small black hairs which seemed to be nose or beard hairs in my bowl of pasta. I quietly told the waiter as I didn’t want to make a fuss but still wasn’t happy about eating the rest. He asked if I wanted another and I said no just the bill, as I no longer trusted the hygeine standards of the restaurant. I assumed i’d have the meal (which was overpriced in India standards anyway) taken off the bill as it was unedible and when I told the waiter I wasn’t happy paying for it, he told me to wait. Me and my friends were left sitting there for at least 20 minutes while a man (who I assume is the manager or owner) sat at his computer, apparently checking the ‘CCTV cameras’. I went over to see if everything was okay, at which point the man started telling me I was a liar and that I was playing with my hair while I was eating my meal (I have long blonde hair). He started raising his voice and threatened to call the police and get my passport taken away if I didn’t pay 400 rupees for a bowl of pasta with hair in it. My friends and I were in utter shock, but I stood my ground and said I wasn’t paying. So then, he refused to let us leave and because we had been made to feel incredibly frightened and intimidated, I agreed to pay half price just so they would let us go.
I have never been made to feel so appalled and treated so terribly in an establishment. Please do not go to this restaurant. It’s obviously doesn’t have any regard for its customers or for hygiene standards and only cares about taking money from tourists, any way that they can. For your own benefit, go to one of the many other brilliant restaurants around the area, do not waste your money or your time in this place!!!!!

1  Thank 9aht

Reviewed April 19, 2018

This restaurant was good! It was soooo hot when we stopped in for lunch, but I got a pineapple ginger drink, and it cooled things right off! I got the pesto pasta to eat- it was great!

Reviewed April 1, 2018

We ate here twice during our two week stay in Fort Cochin. The food was surprisingly authentic, and tasty, given that we were far removed from Italy. As New Yorkers with excellent local home restaurants to choose from, we were hesitant to try Upstairs, but we were proven very wrong! Once we tried the perfectly cooked, made to order pasta the first time, we had to go back.
Upstairs is an excellent choice for anything Italian on their menu.

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

We stopped here after a long day out as it was convenient on the walk back to the hotel. During our two weeks in India this was our only non-Indian evening meal and it really was nothing special, a mediocre pizza accompanied unwelcome live music.

Reviewed March 2, 2018 via mobile

Awesome food with excellent service. In house baked bread was very tasty. Food quality was good really had good time for lunch