“A miserable experience.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kochi (Cochin)
Hotel Maria International
Ranked #175 of 201 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Surrey UK
“A miserable experience.”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This calls itself an 'international' hotel, but they do not know how to treat international clients. With the exception of the lady on the reception and the security man outside the hotel, this was the most miserable group of staff I have ever come across.
I mistakenly chose to eat my evening meal in the restaurant and was the only person there - being served by staff who were completely unable to smile or give me any guidance with the menu. It was embarrassingly awkward.
The most bizarre thing about my stay was my room telephone ringing at 6.50am in the morning (which woke me up!) to hear a voice on the line asking me if I wanted room service. In all my extensive travelling around the world, I have never been woken up by an unsolicited call from reception like this. After my experience in the restaurant, I opted for room service for the remainder of my meals, these were delivered to me by staff who could not manage a smile at all - this is not the way to make your guests feel at ease. This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank notenoughtime

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dublin
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I went on a 2 week trip to India (Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka) in April 2013, and I can say without any hesitation that Maria International Hotel was the best place I stayed in by far.

It is modern (don't let the outside facade fool you), very clean, quiet and ideally located to visit Thattekad wildlife sanctuary. Kothamangalam is a small suburban place, and you have everything right at your doorstep (modern supermarket, chemist, internet cafe, sweet shops, local market ..etc).

The staff are really helpful, friendly and attentive and the general manager Mr. Joy is a truly nice character who does an extremely good job in running this place (he told me he has international hospitality experience - and you can certainly tell that !), and he is very helpful in terms of local information; he'll make you feel very welcome.

The restaurant serves three meals a day (price range $1-5) which is really good value considering the high standard. The food is tasty and the menu has both Indian and international options. Room service is available 24 hours of course.

I was sorry to leave this hotel (as my trip necessitated) especially considering the fact that the other hotels in India I stayed in were nowhere near as nice as this one.

Thank you Maria International hotel and especially thanks to Mr. Joy for making my stay there a really enjoyable one.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back face a small river and tropical scenery.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank fugree
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had an event planned at this place and had family staying here as well. This place was all neat and tidy until you started actually talking to the GM and staff. It appears that these guys just over charge for everything....if you ask for the menu rates, the GM says he has no time to get the menu.

They charged me extravagantly for a small 3 hour event. The hotel staff is also not that friendly....i could clearly the see the difference in the way they talked to local and international tourists. The GM is too bossy and doesn't give you the entire details even if asked.

I will not be staying here and of-course will not recommend this place to anyone. The hotel rooms run empty and that's why the low rates.

Room Tip: Don't get fooled by the name "International"...there is nothing international about th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Renzoid

Travelers are raving about these Kochi (Cochin) hotels

India
Reviewed June 3, 2008

We stayed here by default as the hotel we were initially booked in was suddenly full. This turned out to be our best stay ever. We were given an AC Suite room overlooking the river and plantations on the opposite bank. In the mornings there were several kingfishers and water birds flitting around. The General Manager Mr Joy welcomed us from his heart, as honoured guests and made us feel like honoured guests throughout our stay. I have never experienced such hospitality before. Mr Joy could put any top Taj Group hotelier to shame with his genuine, heart felt hospitality. Room rates range from Rs 650 to Rs 2350. The rooms are large and spotlessly clean. The rooms overlooking the river naturally have a better view. There is a small sit out attached to these rooms . The food was the best ever, fresh and tasty, with local specialities suggested by Mr Joy. There is also a bar attached to the hotel.
The hotel is ideally placed to visit the Thattekadu or Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary and the Bhootantakettu Reservoir and Edamalayar catchment areas. The sanctuary is just 15min drive away. Mr Joy personally accompanied us to arrange for a suitable forest guide at a most reasonable rate. The local guide Sudheesh was excellent and showed us far more than what we expected, including a pair of endangered Ceylon frogmouth birds barely 2 feet away. Sudheesh also guides trekkers on longer routes as the Thattekadu Sanctuary connects internally with the dense Neriamangalam jungles all the way upto the foothills of Munnar.
The Maria International is an ideal place for a short break to Thattekadu, en route to Munnar or Thekkady from the Nedumbassery airport.
All the staff from the porter to the receptionists, the waiters and housekeeping and of course Mr Joy were exceedingly courteous but Mr Joy was truly exceptional. I would definitely return again.

• Liked — The heart felt genuine hospitality of Mr Joy, the GM, that made us feel like honoured guests
  • Disliked — No negative experience
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business