“Friendly efficient service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sajhome

and 1 more site!
Sajhome
Ranked #3 of 201 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Friendly efficient service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

When planning our two week holiday I booked Sajhome for two nights. I e-mailed Saj, the proprietor with questions about possible places to visit. I got an immediate helpful response. I finally decided that my trip should include Ooty, Munnar, and the Backwaters. I e- mailed Saj with my proposed itinery and he responded by offering support in finding accommodation and that he had the services of a good driver who spoke English. I accepted the offer of an A/C car with driver. The driver, Ramesh, was excellent. He navigated the terrible Kerala roads and traffic with calmness and skill. He helped us buy tickets for the Toy train at Ooty, and as he got to know us volunteered information about places that would interest us. We had his services for eleven days.

The bedroom was simply furnished with a wall mounted television. The en-suite was a tiny Indian wet room. Everything was spotlessly clean and everything worked.....the hot water, the multi-channelled television, the A/C , the wireless internet......

We enjoyed breakfast on the terrace and the opportunity to speak with other guests.

Sajhome proved to be a perfect starting point for our journey. I cannot commend too highly the hospitality of saj and his family.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Polish first
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

I'd never stayed at a homestay before, and didn't know what to expect, but Sajhome was really a wonderful place to spend the downtime I had on my business trip. Due to my last minute planning, I actually stayed in several different rooms at Sajome, and all were very clean and and comfortable. The smallest one was too small for my tastes, which Saj had actually warned me about, but for someone on a budget I can see it being perfect. And the largest room I stayed in was great, complete with a cozy balconey.

The best things about this place, and the reasons why there are so many positive reviews here, are the professionalism and courtesy of Saj himself. I arrived with little to no plans, but Saj had many good suggestions on what to do and see, taking into account my interests and timeline, and he made the arrangements for them all. He and the others working here were always very kind and patient, and he honestly treated me the way I think a guest ought to be treated. Not overly solicitous, not inattentive--just right. So if you want a cozy, friendly, and inexpensive place to stay in Fort Cochin, this is a great choice.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Norfolk, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

This is a lovely homestay well located in Kochi. Nothing is too much trouble for the owner, he is extremely welcoming and helpful. He will help with arranging outings and transport and being a local knows the best places to eat and to visit.
The hotel has lovely clean rooms and a nice balcony for breakfast, that can be used at any time by the guests.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Nang Rong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

I like to use TripAdvisor to find hotels and have found some great ones. We recently toured India and found the Umaid Mahal listed 13th in 243 hotels in Jaipur. It was great and inexpensive. I would recommend it to anyone. When we got down to Kochi in the south we selected Sajhome hotel as #2 of 128 hotels reviewed. It was like a cheap guest house. It had no hot water (it was supposed to, but not in the two rooms we tried), you had to climb steep stairs outside the building (it’s over a small bank), the breakfast offered is extremely limited and nothing to write home about. I had other issues I won’t mention here, except maybe this: everyone comes to this area to ride boats on the backwaters. Don't take the recommendations and use the friends of the Sajhome owner. It was OK, but I'm sure there are better operators than the ones we ended up with.

It was not horrible, and a few other guests we saw were OK with it, but none were ecstatic. How did this hotel rate 2 in 128? It could be that many of the other 128 were not good, some maybe even dirty (Sajhome was clean). In that case I could see Sajhome rating maybe middle of the pack somewhere, but nowhere near number 2.

We moved over to the Poovah heritage hotel. We picked it because we ate in their small restaurant and were impressed. Also it is one of the only three hotels in Fort Kochi that are on the ocean. It was very nice. My wife, who was claustrophobic in our first Sajhome room, loved it.

TripAdvisor rates Poovath Heritage 18 in 128. It is more expensive, rooms are $75 - $225 as opposed to $30 - $60 for Sajhome. That should take it down in the ratings a bit, but everything else about it should bring it up. Having stayed at the Poovath, I believe its reviews. I thought it was great and will certainly stay there again when I return to Kochi. On the other hand, I would not recommend Sajhome to anyone.

I noticed that Poovath, which has operated longer than Sajhome and has 10 rooms has 26 total TripAdvisor reviews. Sajhome, with 6 rooms has 310 reviews. How did they get all those reviews? 230 rate it as excellent, 67 as very good, 10 average, 2 poor and 2 terrible. No one treated us badly there, but I would have to rate it as poor. We normally don’t want to move right out of an average hotel. I suppose I should put my review into the 310 there now, but it won’t really make much difference, will it?

I got similarly burned by a hotel review in Ko Lanta, Thailand. I’ll still use TripAdvisor, but I know now to look for a suspiciously high number of reviews.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank jackwsimpson
sajhome, Owner at Sajhome, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Thank you for sparing you valuable time for this review. First of all I would like to suggest you to go through Tripadvisor.com little more deeply to learn and know different hotels Categories listed on this website and please note that Sajhome is listed in BARGAIN HOTEL category and not as Luxury star Hotel.

If you were looking for a Luxury Hotel, I do not understand that why did you choose Sajhome for $50/per night and how you can campare with a facility who sell a room in the range of $ 30-60/night with the range of -$275/-night.

You have forgotten to mention very important fact that I have managed to bring back your missing belongings from the House boat at Alleppey to Sajhome and handed over to you eventhough it was was not my job or responsibility.
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

The location is perfect, though relatively quiet, it allows one to get to the centre of Fort Kochi and the sea by comfortably by foot or in an autoriksha.
It is a cute little house with two floors and simple, but comfortable and spotless rooms. There is a nice terracce where breakfast is served and You can also just sit there and read or relax while drinking a flavoursome fresh fruit juice.
The food is very tasty...for breakfast the family offers you a variety of local dishes, fresh fruits and tea/coffee. They even demonstrate how to eat it properly....Of course, continental breakfast is available too.For everyone who needs to go online every once in a while and carries a laptop - wifi internet access is readily available in the house
Saj..and his wife are wonderful hosts and very helpful . They always provide information regarding where to go for a day trip, which restaurants to choose, which cultural programm to go to and where to shop. Great people; Thanks a lot we will come back and always recommend you!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Russclub
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

We set off on our holiday to Kerala with only the first three nights booked in Sajhome and nothing else really planned. Having never tried a homestay we were slightly apprehensive about what to expect. We needn't have been. The location is perfect with only a 2 minute walk to all the main shopping/sightseeing/eating. The rooms are lovely and clean with mosquito nets, satellite tv and some have their own balcony. Saj and his family cannot do enough to help you, recommending places to sightsee, places to eat and shop and local culture to take in. Food was excellent and I recommend the delicious traditional Keralan breakfasts to set you up for the day. You also get a great rate (MUCH better than at the airport) for currency conversion in the downstairs bank.

What a homestay offers which hotels don't are a wealth of local knowledge and custom. Having so little prepared, Saj helped us organise the whole holiday. He sat down with us and helped us with our itinerary - booked trains, taxis, tours and other homestays on our trip - all of which were just as lovely and welcoming as his. Saj booked us a taxi driver for four days (again at a very competitive rate) who was nothing short of legendary, taking us off the beaten path to really get stuck into the beaty of Munnar, Periyar and Varkala.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough and I thank Saj and family for making our whole Indian experience that little bit more perfect.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russclub
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

This was my second visit to Cochin, both of them for 10 days each. I went to Cochin for dental implants. In my first visit I stayed in a hotel in Cochin, because was close to the dental clinic,and it was good. This time I want to stay in Fort Cochin. Trough the TripAdvisor I saw the reviews about SaJhome, and all saying good. So I inquired about rates and availability, Saj respond promptly and I booked a room. Saj arranged the pick up at the airport and I arrived at Sajhome at 5Am and there he was with a bottle of fresh water, welcome me to is house. And this was the beginning of his friendly service and hospitably.
The room was roomy and clean with A/c and fan and typical Indian bathroom.
Sajhome is very well located,it's central and at a walking distance to the touristic, cultural places, restaurants and to the ferry boat to the city.
The best of Sajhome is Saj and his family that want to serve the guests not only with the normal services as the breakfasts, they are great and real Kerala food, that they vary everyday, but also in given their advices where to go, to shop ,eat, trips, etc, helping the best they can. I can say that I felt that I was in my family house.
Because my schedule with the visits to the dentist I didn't have time for day trips around Cochin. During my first trip I missed the to see the elephants, so this time I was determined to see them. So one opportunity came, I had 2 days free, I talked with Saj about the elephant's training camp trip, but he came with the suggestion to visit Munar. I agreed and he arranged for a driver and booked a overnight stay in tea plantation, and we returned next day for my dental appointment. This was a memorable trip off the other world. Munar is located in the top off the mountains, so soon we enter in the mountains we are surrounded by rain forest, and water falls, than at upper altitude came the tea plantations, what amazing views. The overnight stay was a very beautiful place in the middle of the tea plantation overseeing a big water fall, and also great Kerala food. Because of the beauty of Munar area is called " the land of God". Also to refer that the driver was very friendly,safe in the driving and for his suggestions.
I'm very thankfully to Saj for give me that opportunity to see a litle bit of that amazing place of the other world that is Munar.
Sajhome is our home at Fort Cochin.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo