“Wind Haven Stay”
Review of WindHaven Resort

WindHaven Resort
Ranked #4 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Idukki
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Last May we stayed at Wind Haven for 2 Days. Actually our package was designed for one Day at Ramakkal. But the Stay was so comfortable that we extended it for one more day. An excellent location for Trekking and most windy place. Above that Capt . Noble ( a wonderful Human being and a great Host). We would like to come back to this place again and again

Room Tip: Their Honey moon Room and suite is very Good
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank TripReview1970
anitamani, Owner at WindHaven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your escellent review and appreciation. I am glad that you liked my hubby's company during the treck to top station. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Ramakkal.

with warm regards,

Anita Mani.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

During my last trip to kerala in Feb 2013, i was looking for a calm place to stay in thekkady, and then i got a chance to review 'Wind haven Resort', after reading review and doing some browsing about whereabouts of this place i could not resist myself but plan to stay here.
This is just 40 Kms away from thekkady, hence does not disturb your itinery at all, Instead you get a chance to stay at this amazing place 'Ramakkal'. 'Winds haven Resort ' is beautifully situated among hills, and you will shortly realize why this place is called 'Winds haven Resort'. Room are very big (approximately 1.5 time than usual Deluxe room in 3-4 star hotel) and ventilated. They have Restaurant called 'Eat & Gale', and we ordered Kerala food, which is good.
Service at 'Winds haven Resort' is very personal, and it makes you feel at home. Each and every guest at 'Resort' is treated with personal attention, and staff tries to help you in every possible way. Infact our host Ms.Mini Pereira even offered to come with us to visit 'Rama Rock', One can have excellent views of the the Tamilnadu plains from 'Rama Rock'.
Overall I would strongly recommend to include stay at this place in your kerala itinery.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Itismyplanet

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your excellent review and I am glad indeed that you have liked the beauty of Ramakkal. I am thankful to you for appreciating the resort and our service. With reviews like yours will make us satisfied that we are doing our job sincerely and keep up our spirists so high.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

With warm regards,
Anita mani.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

The views from the high points along the Ghats by Windhaven were astounding and you could sit by the boulders along the hills and commune with nature and God! The hotel resort offered luxury accommodation and friendly service. If you like cool evenings then this is your ideal hide away. Only sorry that I didnt get to stay at their Tree house.
This is family run resort with high standards in cleaniness and Hygiene unlike other resorts that I have been to. This place is ideal place to de stress!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Harris D
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I write this review with a little bit of hesitation, as on one hand I want to keep this place a secret so as to enjoy its beauty and authenticity when I come again. I am fearful that the charm may be lost when the world knows about it and yet I feel it’s unfair not to share as others too deserve to experience something special. So here it is; a no holds barred thoughts of Ramakkal and Windhaven. I came to India on Feb 1 2013, to relax on the sandy beaches of Kerala and by accident heard through some conversations about Ramakkal.

I did not know that Kerala had a mountain resort. So my brother and I packed our bags and left the sandy beaches to Ramakkal without any expectations. We went with an open mind and chose Windhaven Resort to stay for a couple of days, as it was at the foothills of Ramakkal Mountain. I am glad I chose it, as it made our trips to the mountain easier and faster as time is a factor when trekking in the mountains because of cold and daylight hours.

In Singapore we don’t have mountains or hills to wander and wonder. Once you reach Wind Haven Resort, you are greeted by the staff of Wind Haven with such warmth and smiles that only a family will give: yes this was like family indeed especially with Ms Mini whose genuine and warm smiles makes your first impressions of the resort a lasting one. Her hospitality and genuine interest to serve sets her apart from all the service people I have met in all my trips to India.

Checking in was easy and fast. As for rooms my only 2 critical requirements are a clean bed and a clean toilet. I got more; LCD TV, refrigerator, kettle etc and yes Wi-Fi. I didn’t believe it that there was free Wi-Fi in the rooms. This was a big plus factor. No resorts that I stayed in India provided this. The best case would have been to go the lobby or business centre to access the internet. Half my concerns about my family back home was gone as I could contact them through the internet in the comfort and peace of my room.

We then quickly set off to the mountain with perhaps the heartbeat of Windhaven Resort, a person called Capt Noble Pereira. The walk to the Mount Ramakkal and to the top-station was exciting with stories and folklore made flavourful with Capt Noble who I am sure is a visionary wanting to make Ramakkal known to the world. The trek up is relatively easy with bushes and shrubs to manoeuvre. The view from the top of the mountain is simply awesome and breathtaking - from mountains to green valleys. The Kuravan mountain on the Kerala – Tamil Nadu border is a sight not to be missed. One gets to see a breathtaking view on the east of vast stretches of farmland of Tamil Nadu and on the west beautiful mountains of Kerala. The windmills installed on the nearby mountains are a sight unseen in Asia and is so pleasing to see its grace when the mills turns. I reckon this site will soon attract adventure seekers wanting to push the boundaries and see virgin places.

Now a little bit about Capt Noble. Here is a man wanting to share and make a statement about something so passionate in his heart. At the rate he is thinking and acting, Ramakkal will be on everyone’s lips when visiting India in the next couple of years. We were fortunate to have him as our guide and I am told his other guides are just as enthusiastic about his passion and drive.

Now 2 days is simply not enough to fully immerse oneself “in gods own country” at Ramakkal. I look forward to so many things at my next visit; the Jeep Safari; campfire on the mountain; wind energy farms, spice gardens and Vineyard tours etc. amongst others. I think I would make plans for a guided tour with Capt. Noble or Ms Mini. By the looks of it, it should be a minimum of 5 to 6 days to fully appreciate the wonders and beauty of Ramakkal.

Ramakkal will sooner or later be the jewel of Kerala. It cannot be hidden for long. I just hope its simplicity and beauty will not be lost when more people know about it. It’s a great place to be in with excellent service and food and is highly recommended for both the young and not so young like me.

Till my next visit review......Have a great time at Ramakkal and must stay Wind Haven Resort...Cheers...

givik

Room Tip: The rooms above the Dining area look up to Mount Ramakkal. A pleasant place to be in the balcony wit...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Victor G
anitamani, Owner at WindHaven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thanks for staying at Wind Haven and sharing your wonderful experience to all. I am sure quality people like you will keep Ramakkal top station as beautiful place and many more tourists can enjoy the place.
we are surely looking forward to seeing again in the near future.

Best Regards
Anita.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

After a long journey its a good place to enjoy the day,hotel staff was good,Veg food was ok ,just problem with chinese foods,hospitality was excellent,top station is a awsome spot.
Though its slightly away from thekkady hill station its worth to be there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ashish d
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at Wind Haven Resort for 2 days on Dec 23 and Dec 24 and had a pleasant experience.
Firstly about Ramakkal:
1. This place is about 30-35 kms from Thekaddy. It may be difficult to find this resort, but google map shows the right location and hence can be reached properly.
2. This is a new tourist destination and hence very few people know about it. Its kind of virgin location with very few tourists around.
3. The Kuravat mountain (5 mins walk from resort) is on Kerala- TN border. Uniqueness is the view from this place. From top of the mountain, to the east one can see vast stretches of farmland of TN, and on the west you can see mountains of kerala. One can see lot of windmills installed on all nearby Mountains.
4. Resort owners Ms Mini and Captain Pereira can also guide you to see Rama rock, spice plantation and the windfarm. Captain also took us for a 3 hour trek to the Top Station which is place with even better view of TN farmlands.
5. Some people have complained that they could not visit Thekaddy because they came to Ramakkal. I have been to both the places and my suggestion is that Thekaddy can be avoided. Thekaddy’s main tourist attraction is the Periyar Tiger reserve and there is 99% chance that you won’t spot a Tiger. This is because tigers can be seen only in summers (Apr-May). Only wild buffaloes and deer can be spotted from boat which is a big disappointment.
6. Only drawback is that you can’t do shopping in Ramakkal. But if you have Munnar in your itinerary, all the shopping can be done there.

About the resort:
1. Location is superb as the resort is opposite to the Kuravat mountain.
2. Owners Ms Mini, Captain and the staff are very amazing people. They make us feel more like guests than hotel customers. Captain is a man full of Energy and lot of stories. He took pains to personally show us the places in his own car. He kept us engrossed during entire 3 hours trek to Top Station.
3. On 24th dec (Christmas eve), resort had arranged for a Gala Dinner followed by a small camp fire. We even had antakashari.
4. Cons about the resort:
> Some furniture seems misaligned, e.g. TV was fixed about 8 feet above and was difficult to watch
> Bhanjans on loudspeaker at 6 am from nearby village, but still tolerable

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SDJ_Mumbai
Reviewed January 11, 2013

It started off more as a shock because Make my trip told us we were going to Thekkady. But this resort is like 40km away from Thekkady town. So we were quite disappointed that our trip was a complete mess! However, Capt Pereira and Madam Mini and the entire crew are some amazing folks who are extremely passionate about what they do. Ramakkal is such a lovely place and if you love nature, you SHOULD make it to this slice of paradise. Cap Noble was extremely kind to trek us around, showed us some beautiful spots that left me spellbound. We were upgraded to a Tree House and it was an awesome experience as well. Though this place (Ramakkal) is not as oft heard as its neighbor, this tourist destination is super cool. Its more like virgin territory as not many folks know this place. I am going there again (god willing, of course)- to relax, rejuvenate and simply feel nice!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Tree House. Loved it!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Shaju T

Dear Sir,

Thanks you for choosing wind haven through MMT. I am glad that you had a great time at Wind Haven. Looking forward to your next visit to show you the complete beauty of Ramakkal. You can ask for the Adivaram trekking next time.
Thanks very much indeed for the appreciation.

Best regards,
Anita Mani

Also consider these accommodations in or near Idukki
Hotel Eletaria Resort
Punarjani Resorts
Punarjani Resorts
#2 of 2 in Ramakkalmedu
Kalarickal Heritage Bungalow

Been to WindHaven Resort? Share your experiences!