The Verda Saffron
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Mangalore
Reviewed October 30, 2012

it good overall their new restaurant is also good rooms are clean and service have improved the staff is friendly location good near to mall and bus stop and good funda of 24hrs check out. just one thing they should have hot water in the evening also

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel was a bad experience for me.The breakfast served was bad,they were using cheap cornflakes which i found horrible.The worst of all was the experience from the travel desk,i had booked a cab with the hotel travel desk,for a full day and a fixed distance ,and agreed to pay any KM over and above as extra.However the cab driver refused to travel even for half a day and when we had not clocked even half of the distance as agreed.I rang up the hotel and they told they are helpless.I came back to report this to the manager and his attitude was even more horrible .
He dint even agree to meet me.I was waiting in the lobby for almost 3 hrs and i had to leave the hotel as he was not even ready to meet me.

Room Tip: Please avoid this hotel if possible.Even if you choose to stay,please avoid the travel desk service.
5  Thank kannan007
TheSaffron, Front Office Manager at The Verda Saffron, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback.

We apologies sincerely for your experience at our hotel. We have spoken very strictly to the travel desk team (an outsource service - we have put them on notice after seeing your feedback and will not hesitate to change them if they are unable to serve our guests well) and the absence of the manager to attend to your complaint has been taken note by the higher authorities.

Please accept our sincere apologies and provide us with an opportunity to serve you again, and this time we assure you, we will not give you any reason for complaint.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Comfortable Rooms with good amenities, Good Restaurant which serves tasty food, courteous staff everwilling to help, convenient location in heart of Mangalore. Stayed with Family. Recommend others to try out this hotel.

Room Tip: Select the room with window towards the Sea.
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at the Saffron Hotel for one night this October. Centrally located in Mangalore city and quite unimpressive front. I tried two wrong doors before I found the entry. They claimed it was centrally airconditioned but the lobby and room corridors were too warm and uncomfortable when we checked in. I guess this is a typical behavior where they try to save a few rupees on electric bills but turning off the air-conditioning. The first room we were given was too noisy which we discovered had some low frequency vibration and hum that went on non-stop. They moved us to another room. Rooms are not carpeted. Bath room was poor they made made some attempts to make it look good. The shower curtain was too short and water spilled outside the shower area. Oh, yes there was a small roll of toilet paper too. Beds were not clean, sheets were wrinkled and did not appear to have been washed. TV channels were mostly local, though there was HBO, BBC but no CNN. There was no WiFi but it did not matter because we had not taken a computer on this trip.

Roof top restaurant was good though. The bar menu was quite impressive though I had only beer. Not sure if they had any wines but I was not going to drink wine in Mangalore, any case. We had a good dinner and good breakfast next morning.

If you are a local and want to spend a night then this may be good place. For anyone from outside of South Kanara I would recommend look elsewhere. This hotel has much learn to make it world class. BTW, the name went Saffron boutique hotel. I have no idea what they meant by boutique.

Room Tip: Take a room on the back side, it will be less noisy.
3  Thank PA430

Dear Sir,

Please accept our apologies for not living up to your expectations. We would like to assure you that we do not turn off the Air Conditioners at the night to save money. Due to a known technical issue (that occurs transiently) the staff need to turn on the Air Conditioner when the voltage drops below a particular point. When this happens the staff need to manually turn on the AC. During your stay, unfortunately, the staff were slow (or found sleeping on duty) and hence did not perform the required actions which led to your suffering. We have put in place a more robust system to address this issue going forward. But are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Regarding the TV channels, we get feeds from the cable network and as a result the channels are regional/Indian. We have internet ports in all the rooms and cables are provided to the guests on request. Almost all our customers use internet and are provided with cables for their use.

We are glad you found our restaurant ambiance and food to your liking.

We look forward to serving you again and this time we are committed not to give you any opportunity for complaints.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The safforn is located very close to market area, railway station, bus station and of course the ideal ice cream parlour is just few mins away. Taxi stand is very close by (the travel desk charges are almost 35% higher than outside costs) if yo uhave to take local trips around Mangalore. Breakfast is very good, you get choices. overall good value for the money you pay.the rooms are clean and well maintained, front desk team is courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is good, restaurant is on roof top.
1  Thank manjuvk
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Excellent choice ! I wanted to stay in Mangalore for two days, on my way to Manipal, and reviewed top 3 rated hotels. I chose Saffron after initial exemplary responsiveness the front desk staff to my questions. They were fast to respond and answered all my questions completely. After my stay, I can tell you that I did not regret my decision, as the same good experience continued from the time I checked in to the time I checked out.

The location is very good – very accessible, yet away from the main road. It is within walking distance of the City Centre Mall. The rooms were very clean, a/c worked well and all staff very courteous, friendly and helping you being comfortable. It felt very homely and comfortable.

Only minor drawback - lacks Wi-fi, but the staff quickly provided me the LAN cable, got me connected

The roof-top hotel (Spice), is again surprisingly good with great ambience. Great view and quality of food fit for the top grade hotel. I was planning to eat out, but after my experience there at breakfast, I decided to eat there for dinner too. Food was finger licking good….

At the time of check-out, pleasantly surprised, as I was given additional 20% discount, making it even greater value for money. Also, their 24 hour checkout policy is great. Overall an outstanding experience. Highly recommended !!

Room Tip: Walking distance to the City Center Mall
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kishor P
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Simple place. Well done up rooms. Some quirky things here and there. Lacks wifi, they gave me the good ol' data cable. Buffet was edible but lacks roundedness. Though the roof top restaurant is a good spot to while away some time. I didnt feel like leaving my breakfast table during the rain. In all, a perfect place for a quick visit to Managalore for business.

Room Tip: Go for higher floors as the traffic can get real loud in peak hours
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business