“Nice and comfortable”

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Mangalore
Bangalore
“Nice and comfortable”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Nice and comfortable. Staff was competent and resourceful. Breakfast spread was tasty, especially the South Indian fare. It is a small but tidy facility. A fairly decent bookstore (for a hotel) and a gift shop with handicrafts that aren't too overpriced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

gateway m, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Old Port Rd Mangalore, responded to this review, October 24, 2013

Greetings to you from The Gateway Hotel Mangalore!!!

We are deeply indebted to you for having given us your valuable feedback whilst your stay with us at The Gateway Hotel, Mangalore. It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest and I am extremely delighted to know that you had a comfortable stay with us and hope that you will recommend us to your friends as a preferred hotel.

I take this opportunity to thank you for your kind compliments on our staff. The services of our staff have indeed upheld the trust and traditions of the Taj and it was really kind of you to bring this to our notice. I have passed on your compliments to my team here and they are extremely delighted to hear that. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast spread. I also thank you for your kind word of appreciation on our bookstore.

We immensely value your kind patronage and look forward to welcoming you back and assure you of our best services at all times.

Kindest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Good place to stay, central, clean not too pricey. A little old but charming.
Wlak down to the fishing port if you don't mind the smell of dried fish!
30-40 min from Airport. Breakfast is ok, try the freshly made Dosas.

Room Tip: Away from the noisey old lift
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings to you from The Gateway Hotel Mangalore!!!

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay experience at our hotel. It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am extremely delighted to know that you found our Hotel to be the best stay option in Mangalore and hope that you will recommend us to your friends as a preferred hotel.

I am pleased to know that you found our location to be convenient. I also thank you for your kind words of compliments on our food, and am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Dosa’s served during your breakfast.

I greatly value your kind patronage and look forward to welcoming you back and assure you of our best services at all times.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 15, 2013

i am partial to Taj. like the hospitality as usual at Taj. however lifts are old, building is old. not as modern as other Taj hotels. property is smaller and there is space constraint for facilities. Service notch below other Taj. They need to pamper the customers more with few more freebies. Located in mangalore 15kms from the nearest beach. prompt response by the courteous staff. the redeeming factor in this upgraded hotel, is the hospitality.

1 Thank gopalv11
gateway m, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Old Port Rd Mangalore, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Mangalore!!

I have noted your feedback about the old property look and old elevators. I would like to appraise you that our hotel is being refurbished and upgraded in a phased manner and last year we completed one floor and the public areas. We are taking one more floor and elevator replacement this coming financial year. I take this opportunity to thank you for your kind compliments on our staff. The services of our staff have indeed upheld the trust and traditions of the Taj and it was really kind of you to bring this to our notice. I have passed on your compliments to my team here and they are extremely delighted to hear that.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in the hotel. I think this is the best stay option in Mangalore till date. Though it is an old property, the hotel is conveniently located, good rooms, great food. Only once I experienced the stench of rotten fish in the porch, which otherwise is also found in many places of the city. The signature restaurant Cardamom serves delicious local cuisines.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
gateway m, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Old Port Rd Mangalore, responded to this review, October 8, 2013

Greetings to you from The Gateway Hotel Mangalore!!!

I am pleased to know that you found our location to be convenient. I also thank you for your kind words of compliments on our food, and the rooms.

I immensely value your kind patronage and look forward to welcoming you back and assure you of our best services at all times.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 1, 2013

No fish smell, fabulous rooms, great food and the usual taj hospitality.

We had booked a suite for our visit and everything was well coordinated including the pick up at the airport. The checkin process took less than 5 minutes. The rooms are spacious. Some suites have 2 bathrooms which is a boon if you are travelling with kids. Make sure you ask for an extra bed if you have 2 kids as one double bed is inadequate.

The hotel has a clean pool and a small gymnasium and jacuzzi which can be used.

The hotel lives up to its name with great quality food. Breakfast spreads are huge and with a lot of variety. Dosas are awesome and so is the filter coffee. A special mention to chef Krishna who personally took interest in helping us with the choice of food for room service. This is the best part about the hotel. Luxury with personal service.

Also a special mention to Ami at the reception area who helped us with bookings for a cab and was very cooperative and gave good guidance.

For the price, the service and facilities are just awesome.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
gateway m, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Old Port Rd Mangalore, responded to this review, October 3, 2013

Greetings to you from The Gateway Hotel Mangalore!!!

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay experience at our hotel. It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and hope that you will recommend us to your friends as a preferred hotel.

I thank you for sharing a detailed account of your experience as it is quintessential in our journey to improve guest satisfaction. Thank you for your kind words of compliments on our rooms, pool and the fitness center. I am delighted to know that you had a memorable experience at our coffee shop GAD, and that you enjoyed the buffet spread. I also take this opportunity to thank you for your kind compliments on the exemplary services of our staff. The services of our staff have indeed upheld the trust and traditions of the Taj and it was really kind of you to bring this to our notice. I have passed on your compliments to Chef Krishnamurthy and Amit here and they are extremely delighted to hear that.
I immensely value you kind patronage and look forward to welcoming you back and assure you of our best services at all times.

Pune, India
Reviewed September 28, 2013

In the third week of September, 2013 I needed to stay for 2 nights (18th & 19th) in The Gateway Hotel, Mangalore on some business trip. Due to the type of business work and considering the time of flights, which was giving some additional time to be spent in the hotel, I was looking for a hotel which can give me a homely stay. After a bit of search in ‘Tripadvisor’ I came across this Gateway Hotel. Because of its location close to the river and being an old Taj property I choose to stay in this property.
Location wise it is little outside the centre of activities on the old fort road near the ‘Sangam’ (meeting / confluence) of the rivers Gurupura and Nethravathi. In fact this closeness to the river was one of the attractions I chose this property. But unfortunately, I was allotted a city facing room. I did request for a river facing room, but they had their own constraints, which is understandable.
The outside look gives an ‘old property’ look. But the lobby and the coffee shop areas are fine. Lifts are little old and gives jerks. The floor lobbies are sparsely lit, adding to the older look. The rooms are reasonably spacious. I was told that the room provided to me has had the bathroom newly done. The rooms were equipped with good air-conditioning system, flat TV, spacious beds, sofa, table & chair. Complementary fruits & cookies were given on the arrival day.
The bathroom fittings were good. But the toiletries provided were bare minimum (even the soap was provided only one, which has to be shuttled between wash basin and shower area). Of course there was a small card there asking to contact 24x7 for any additional toiletries. The rain shower was good but requires little more pressure in the system. The bathroom has been done newly with full glass partition between the toilet and the bed side, with an optional curtain, which can drop down at the press of a button.
The very nice and interesting part was the coffee shop, where the breakfast was served. Any shortcoming in the hotel can be forgiven on account of the excellent breakfast that has been served. There were wide choices to choose, like, fruits, juices, south Indian (Idly, dosa, medu wada, Uppama)/ north Indian (like Bav Bhaji, Kachori, Chole etc.) / non-veg items, omelette, cakes, pastries, tea, coffee, etc. The taste was excellent. The filter coffee was served in a quite big mug (must be around 250ml), was very good and really gave the feeling of contentment and fulfilment. I enjoyed my favourite idlies (which were extraordinarily soft) on both the days with variety of chutnies, podi and sambar.
I used the cab services of the hotel for my day trip to a nearby place. It was bit costly compared to the normal available rates. But the vehicle (Inova) was good, clean and the driver drove nicely and had good manners.
Place for improvement: The floor lobbies could be better lit, more essential toiletries could be provided, a provision in the shower area where one can keep the leg for soaping and drying could be made. Finally, the TV is provided in front of the cot. The sofa or chair is away from the TV. The sofa cannot be moved. But one can move chair to sit and watch the TV. Alternatively, the TV can be mounted on a turning base so that it can be turned towards the sofa or bed, as per the requirement.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
gateway m, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Old Port Rd Mangalore, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings to you from The Gateway Hotel, Mangalore!!!

Thank you for staying with us at The Gateway Hotel Mangalore and I also wish to thank you profusely for sparing your valuable time and sharing a detailed account of your experience you had during your recent stay with us.

I have noted your feedback about the old property look and old elevators. I would like to appraise you that our hotel is being refurbished and upgraded in a phased manner and last year we completed one floor and the public areas. We are taking one more floor and elevator replacement this coming financial year. I’m glad that you found the rooms to be comfortable, spacious and well equipped.

I am delighted to hear that you had a memorable experience at our Coffee Shop i.e., GAD. Thank you very much for sharing a detailed account of your experience. Your kind words of encouragement like these go a long way to keep the team motivated and I have passed on your compliments to my team here and they are extremely delighted to hear that.

I also take this opportunity to thank you for your kind compliments on the services of our Chauffeur. The services of our staff have indeed upheld the trust and traditions of the Taj and it was really kind of you to bring this to my notice. I have passed on your compliments to my travel desk team here and they are extremely delighted to hear them.

I have also noted your points for improvement. Let me assure you that we will certainly address these issues which you have pointed out and we will take remedial actions to avoid such instances in future.

I immensely value your kind patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and assure you of our best services at all times.

Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stay was pleasant ... hotel situated in nice cool place ... less noice ... staff is coool and helpful ... room is clean and neat ... hygeinic ... can recommend others for a pleasant stay ... the main attraction is the location ... good and pleasant ...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
gateway m, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Old Port Rd Mangalore, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings to you from The Gateway Hotel, Mangalore!!!

I thank you for sharing a detailed account of your experience as it is quintessential in our journey to improve guest satisfaction. Your kind words of appreciation on our rooms, location of our hotel and the exemplary services of our staff, will go a long way in motivating and encouraging our team to do even better in future.

General Manager.