“Kerala in Bangalore” 5 of 5 bubbles

Coconut Grove
Ranked #138 of 10,805 Restaurants in Bengaluru
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Lucknow, India
“Kerala in Bangalore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

As a resident of North India, and a victim of its cuisine based on refined wheat, polished rice, cooked-to-extinction veggies and red meat imbued with the fragrance of screwpine for many months, it was a liberating experience to be able to eat at The Coconut Grove during a day-long business visit.

I gave the slip to a number of colleagues more interested in drinking than in eating, and found myself on Church Road, opposite the restaurant. Every step I climbed on the staircase leading to it met me with increasing evidence that foreshadowed a meal worth remembering.

So, I debatedbetween Markandam (goat) soup and Panni Varathathu (pork), opting for the latter and not regretting my choice. The people on the next table had ordered a Kallimekai (mussel) dish that I inhaled in envy, cursing my shellfish allergy. I followed up with about a dozen Appams that I devoured with Malabar Erachi curry.

Feeling several kilos heavier, I ended with Chukku Chakkara Kappi (NOT for the nervous), and walked away, alternately hiccuping (from the ginger in the coffee) and belching (fermented froth though it may be, the appam gets aeronautical aspirations in my digestive system) -- a satisfied stranger in a busy

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TimARAMIS

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Cheap & Good Beer.... Decent Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Nice little place to spend time with friends over inexpensive and quality beer (i guess they serve the best quality home brewed beer at that price anywhere in bangalore)... chicken wings is a definite try... ambiance is not bad too (they play house music along with Bob Marley :P)... overall expenditure should not go beyond INR 700-800 for a couple (with generous amount of beer)!!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Saurav M
Bangalore
“Good Kerala Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

This place comes to mind when we want to gorge on Mallu fool with a couple of beers. This restaurant has been around for a long time now and i have found the taste to be pretty good (I am a malayali myself). My fav's include crab roast, karimeen porichadu, appams, idiappams, fish/chicken curries, meals during lunch and the ada pradhaman. The staff are usually friendly (have had some unpleasanat visits too) and service is generally prompt.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank fatmallu
London, United Kingdom
“Living on past glory?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have been coming to Coconut Grove once a year on my annual trips to Bangalore for the last 12 years, and I am disappointed to say that each time it let's me down a little more.
Having said that why do I continue to go there?
The answer is in part out a strange sense of habit and continuity and second though I believe it has slid from where it was it is still not a bad Resturant.
Overall the food is nice, but quite over priced for what it is.
Having said that the Appems and Kerala Paratha are excellent ---- so if you do go please make sure you try them.
The service if friendly enough but the ambiance is not what it used to be.
Would I go again ----- the answer is yes, but now more out of habit than anything else.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AliGilani
Toulouse, France
“GOOD ADRESS;”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

To eat Indian food which is also suitable for western people this is a good place to know.
Very nice terrace were you can eat typical Indian food at a reasonable price.
As a drink don’t order wine as it is very expensive and comme ci comme ca…
Just ask for a kingfisher anf you will not have any surprise.
Recommendation, ask for peanuts and oignons as a starter it is really nice.
(I don’t remember the Indian name)
In conclusion keep this address in mind to enjoy a good time

Visited August 2012